Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag light on - Have you been affected? (UK)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Airbag light on - Have you been affected? (UK)

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm

BMW USA have announced a recall on several of their models for faulty airbag system, specifically the passenger detection system in the seat.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/200 ... htm?csp=34

There have been numerous posts from people affected by this, in the USA and also in the UK. Unfortnately at present there has only been a recall in the USA.

I am compling a list of people who have had (or are having) this issue on their Z4. If the numbers are high enough I shall present this list to BMW and see what they have to say. There has been success with similar issues on the Audi forum, albeit their issue was a little more apparent.

If you have had this problem in your car please reply to this thread and I will add you to the list. Please specify when your car was manufactured, along with the resolution (if it was resolved).

The list so far:

Sp3ctre (Build date - April 2004)
EdButler (Build date - June 2003) - Resolved under approved used warranty by fitting new Airbag Control Unit by Sytner Sheffield.
mybeautifulz4
z4monkey
Darich
Mike W
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

EdButler

Re: Airbag light on - Have you been affected? (UK)

Post by EdButler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 am

EdButler (Build date - June 2003) - Resolved under approved used warranty by fitting new Airbag Control Unit by Sytner Sheffield.
Last edited by EdButler on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:24 am

EdButler wrote:EdButler (Build date - June 2003) - Resolved by fitting new Airbag Control Unit by Sytner Sheffield.
Cool, was it in or out of warranty at the time?
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

EdButler

Post by EdButler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Edited :)

MerLOW

Post by MerLOW » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 am

I received a letter from BMW NA regarding this problem. Though I don't (yet) have any problems, my warranty on this part/ issue has been extended to 10 years from original sale date or 100K miles.
'05 Z4, Merlow Red/beige/ beige, 6 spd, M seats, Premium and Sport pkgs, OEM strut brace, OEM hard mount wind diffuser

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:53 am

MerLOW wrote:I received a letter from BMW NA regarding this problem. Though I don't (yet) have any problems, my warranty on this part/ issue has been extended to 10 years from original sale date or 100K miles.
Thanks for that, but like I said we don't have a recall for this part in the UK. I think it is disgusting that cars that are all made in the same place are treated differently. I am a bit surprised that more people haven't responded to this thread though. Maybe not as many people have been affected as first thought?

Philosophico

Post by Philosophico » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Airbag light just came on the other day :(

RoundoBaldo

Post by RoundoBaldo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:03 pm

mines come on & it is the passenger detection sensor too... BMW have said it isn't a common problem & would I mind awfully stumping up £400 for it

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:10 pm

RoundoBaldo wrote:mines come on & it is the passenger detection sensor too... BMW have said it isn't a common problem & would I mind awfully stumping up £400 for it
Bastards! Sorry to hear about that, I think mine will be the same... :x

Stealthyman

Post by Stealthyman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I find that a 20 can case of beer placed on the passenger seat causes all sorts of dash warnings & audible alerts in my Z4M. I just ignore it... :D

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Stealthyman wrote:I find that a 20 can case of beer placed on the passenger seat causes all sorts of dash warnings & audible alerts in my Z4M. I just ignore it... :D
Sorry, I don't get your point... you activate the passenger seat sensor... it warns you and puts on the seatbelt light... what has that got to do with the airbag sensor?

mybeautifulz4

Post by mybeautifulz4 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:40 pm

unfortunately, mine is on permanently too

z4monkey

Post by z4monkey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Problem ongoing for 2 years, started whilst still in warranty, passenger occupancy mat has cracked matrix, BMW central had the matrix for many months, have requested its return to have it independently inspected, has yet to be returned, I am now aware of the US recall, would appreciate a copy of any BMW documentation, really would like help with getting this finally resolved

darich

Post by darich » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Thought I'd add that my airbag light came on a couple of weeks ago. Don't know which airbag is "faulty" though.

I've got a 3.0 SE from May 2004 (54 plate)
Previously 2004 Sterling Grey E85 3.0SE
Currently 2007 Silver Grey E86 M Sport
Instagram - Zed4Coupe

Mike W

Post by Mike W » Wed May 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I have a 2003 model and it has the airbag light problem. I called a local Florida dealer and they didn't know anything about a recall. In checking the USA Today article, it seems the NTSB is only "looking" at asking for a recall for the 2004-06 Z4s. One post said they got an extension of their warranty on this item to 100K miles or 10 years. My luck in contacting BMW North America has been "0". They don't even acknowledge letters. Any suggestions? Fixing that light is costly, and the jury is out whether the airbag is functional if the light is on.

Mike W