Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scary/Twitchy feel over 65mph!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Scary/Twitchy feel over 65mph!

Post by hopz121 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Are you on runlets OP?
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:56 pm

runflats
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Marc'sCoupe

Post by Marc'sCoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Just thought I would give y'all an update, I had this issue investigated and its been put down to a combination of the lollypop bushes not being in fantastic condition as they have never been changed and the car is nudging 100k miles! Also the front passenger side brake calliper is binding slightly!

So she's booked in for a new calliper, new bushes and on an unrelated topic having a new clutch release baring (and a new clutch seeing as the gearbox is coming out) so many many many pounds later I will let you know how I get on!

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Marc'sCoupe wrote:Just thought I would give y'all an update, I had this issue investigated and its been put down to a combination of the lollypop bushes not being in fantastic condition as they have never been changed and the car is nudging 100k miles! Also the front passenger side brake calliper is binding slightly!

So she's booked in for a new calliper, new bushes and on an unrelated topic having a new clutch release baring (and a new clutch seeing as the gearbox is coming out) so many many many pounds later I will let you know how I get on!
Hi Marc did the new caliper and bushes sort this for you?
Still have the problem with mine but since I don't do much motorway driving I haven't sorted it. Decided it's time I should look into this again though now the weather is better.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 22, 2016 2:44 am

My first Z4C had this problem, then I had the lollipops replaced and it was much better - at least until driving on the inside lane of a dual-carriageway or motorway with ruts in from HGV use, then it wandered around pretty randomly!

My solution was to drive faster and use outer lanes! :lol:

Curiously my latest Z4C seems to be much less affected by this - maybe a geometry check would help?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Already changed all bushes and suspension along with 3 alignments at different places which made no difference.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Having the same steering issues to the extent that thinking of selling car as recently tried an mx5 which felt so much better and similar to my old z3.
With so many similar posts,it must be something to do with the electric steering as that is the only common factor.
Did read on another(e46 I think)forum that steering coupler replacement cured it but not sure where or what that is or if anyone has already tried that one.
Using the sport button seems to merely increase the effort to turn the wheel but still has that wandering vague feeling and there is the constant small shaking type movement in the wheel as if something is worn, but what?
Actually built up enough courage this morning to try a blast way over the speed limit to see if any improvement but no although did not get any worse.
Hopefully someone can resolve this issue as the mx5 is so slow!!
Gareth

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 am

Before my enlightenment I had a 123d - it was very sensitive to worn-out inside lanes!

Low tyre pressures made it worse, and worn RFTs made it worse still!

But my current Z4C doesn't seem to be affected by this - but then I haven't done 65mph with it! :laugh:

"70ish" is a much better speed your honour! (And if you go abroad 100ish works pretty well too)! :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jack07

Post by jack07 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 am

For what its worth,my zed was wayward and quite hairy in very fast curves,and would Dodge about under hard braking,tramlining too.As I had already checked my ball joints,steering joints,tyre pressures etc and found no play or problems and the same checks had just been carried out by the m.o.t.tester,with a new pass certificate issued,I was scratching my head abit!When under the car one day s he was up on the drive up ramps I noticed the lower front wishbone inner rear rubber bushes were both eccentric.I.e.the hexagonal barends at the end of the wishbones were not concentric in the housings and when I grabbed the rear end of the wishbones I could move them around by hand!After the shock/horror subsided,I forgave myself and the m.o.t.tester for not finding this as the normal wheel waggling at 7/1 o'clock,9/3 oclock does not show up the wear.When upgrading to the powerflex bushes,a handy tip:grab a cheapo draper 4"puller from halfords for A tenner.This draws off the old bushes easily without the risk of burning your pride and joy.Car now drives accurately (even faster) :evil: Go check your bushes men!
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:27 pm

jack07 wrote:For what its worth,my zed was wayward and quite hairy in very fast curves,and would Dodge about under hard braking,tramlining too.As I had already checked my ball joints,steering joints,tyre pressures etc and found no play or problems and the same checks had just been carried out by the m.o.t.tester,with a new pass certificate issued,I was scratching my head abit!When under the car one day s he was up on the drive up ramps I noticed the lower front wishbone inner rear rubber bushes were both eccentric.I.e.the hexagonal barends at the end of the wishbones were not concentric in the housings and when I grabbed the rear end of the wishbones I could move them around by hand!After the shock/horror subsided,I forgave myself and the m.o.t.tester for not finding this as the normal wheel waggling at 7/1 o'clock,9/3 oclock does not show up the wear.When upgrading to the powerflex bushes,a handy tip:grab a cheapo draper 4"puller from halfords for A tenner.This draws off the old bushes easily without the risk of burning your pride and joy.Car now drives accurately (even faster) :evil: Go check your bushes men!
Already changed mine to powerflex, this was the first thing I did when I noticed the steering issues but it made no difference. :thumbsdown:

Gareth161

Post by Gareth161 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Thanks for that as I was about to look into changing them.
Have you done anything else which has resolved the issue or just living with it?
Still might have a look at the steering coupler as on the e46 forum the reports back seem to suggest a vast improvement.
Unless someone has already tried that without success!!!
Gareth

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Not found a resolution yet but still looking :thumbsup: will report back if I find anything that makes improvement

Donnieronnie

Post by Donnieronnie » Fri May 27, 2016 10:48 pm

Same prob on my old coupe - S700 GJB

Couldn't fix it, did new tyres, new bushes and arms and nothing worked

Ended up part ex ing it as I'd lost confidence in the car, motorway driving was ridiculous, the car literally jumped from right to left all the time

Hope you get a solution as it seems a common problem, that no one knows how to fix as yet

Just out of interest mine was part exchanged in Newcastle and was carbon like yours.... It's not the same car is it ?? Carbon, 108s, sat nav and auto

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Sun May 29, 2016 5:30 pm

No not the same mine is manual and I bought privately :thumbsup:

gibon85

Post by gibon85 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:09 am

Have you guys have any update, anyone managed to solve their problem? Im experiencing the same issue, b road 65 mph is scary. Also noticed the steering is over sensitive. changed rtab and wishbone bushes to powerflex but no luck. Any news is apreciated.