Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Drivers side wiper juddering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
chriswoodward

Post by chriswoodward » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I have an issue with my driver side wiper juddering, I bough Bosch blades which didn't help when I bought the car, I have recently changed to Bosch flat aero blades which again hasn't helped.

Now I have noticed I get a squeak that almost sounds like a beep when my wiper arms go up and down as well. The juddering is getting really annoying now and I assume my wiper arm must be bent or at least not sitting properly not allowing the wiper blade to flip back over on the way down.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Stratts

Re: Drivers side wiper juddering

Post by Stratts » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:03 pm

I've had two different types of wiper blade and they seem to do this off and on. I'm not sure of the cause and it can be annoying, but I am pretty sure it's an issue with the blade itself rather than anything else.

I know that's no help, but I read another thread on the same issue recently and it seems to be a common complaint.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm not sure if this info will help or not but I recently had a squeak on my driver's side wiper which turned out to be at the sprung hinge point on the arm.
I guess if this point is not moving freely it could cause judder as the arm and blade can't alter position as it tracks the screen.
Might be worth a look.
2016 Alpine White E89 20i M Sport

chriswoodward

Post by chriswoodward » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Will check that thanks, I know its not the blades all of the 3 lots I have tried (different brands) have juddered all in the same place.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:31 pm

The juddering is often caused by the wiper not being square to the screen, which given you have change blades seems the most likely cause.

In effect on one stroke it's dragged smoothly and on the other stroke, it's pushed across the glass, thus juddering.

You just need to put a rag on the wiper arm and with pliers or grips gently twist it a few degrees so that the blade sits dead square to the glass mid stroke. That should fix it. (if it's worst you went the wrong way, if partially fixed bent it a tad more)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Bazoz4

Post by Bazoz4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:43 pm

+1 Damage could have been caused if blade has been frozen to screen when activated at some time, wiper motors are pretty powerful.
Cheers Baz :)
2007 Z4 2.0 Roadster Montego Blue euro N46
2009 Hyundai Coupe S111 2.0 Silver
K5 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Blue and White Bike
All in use Z4 and Bike dry days only

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:05 pm

This happened to me when I had aeros on my last car. Bought new ones and it happened again. I just went back to OEM Bosch with the spoiler on the driver side, works for me. I think part of the problem is the shallow angle of the windscreen - on a more upright windscreen the airflow presses them harder against the screen, but on ours the air gets under them and they're not as effective, especially where the airflow is going over the top and round the side, at the edge of the screen. Just a theory, but I have no issue with the ones meant for the car.

As for the squeak, lubricate all the hinges / moving parts from where it connects to the body, including those on the wiper itself.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

thepits

Post by thepits » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Try this stuff

It stops snow and ice adhering, [so use front, back and side], it also lubricates the glass - so can get rid of wiper shudders and squeeks.

When up to speed :wink: the rain runs off the windscreen, so there is no need for wipers :thumbsup:

Intermittent wipers are needed in town, but IMHO still no S or S :driving:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

Talksthetorque

Post by Talksthetorque » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:27 pm

+1 on the rainex. Don't buy the Halfords stuff, as you'll be doing it every week. ( this may be contrary to my advice earlier in the year when it wasn't raining!)

thepits

Post by thepits » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 pm

Talksthetorque wrote:+1 on the rainex. Don't buy the Halfords stuff, as you'll be doing it every week. ( this may be contrary to my advice earlier in the year when it wasn't raining!)
+1 on don't get the Halfraud stuff. :thumbsdown: - p.s. when was it not raining? :?

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

I loose my company car (Audi A5 Sportback) at the end of the month, so my Z4 will now have to my daily drive.
Last year it was just for summer fun. Now I'm driving it all weathers and getting very annoyed with the juddering wipers. Its got new aero blades and this is how bad they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLSWWV6JpA
The noise is unbearable!

I've now got RainX on too, which helps - only because you don't have to use the wipers so much. They still judder though on the downward stroke and then leaves a mess on the screen.

What's the best option? Go back to old fasioned style wiper blades like these?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:36 pm

d3matt wrote:I loose my company car (Audi A5 Sportback) at the end of the month, so my Z4 will now have to my daily drive.
Last year it was just for summer fun. Now I'm driving it all weathers and getting very annoyed with the juddering wipers. Its got new aero blades and this is how bad they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLSWWV6JpA
The noise is unbearable!

I've now got RainX on too, which helps - only because you don't have to use the wipers so much. They still judder though on the downward stroke and then leaves a mess on the screen.

What's the best option? Go back to old fasioned style wiper blades like these?
actually it's very simple and is just a result of the blade not being square to the screen (assuming you're using new clean blades). Just needs the arm to be twisted accordingly. My preferred method is to grip the arm with adjustable wrench with a cloth around the arm to prevent marking it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Callahan

Post by Callahan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:01 am

cj10jeeper wrote:The juddering is often caused by the wiper not being square to the screen, which given you have change blades seems the most likely cause.

In effect on one stroke it's dragged smoothly and on the other stroke, it's pushed across the glass, thus juddering.

You just need to put a rag on the wiper arm and with pliers or grips gently twist it a few degrees so that the blade sits dead square to the glass mid stroke. That should fix it. (if it's worst you went the wrong way, if partially fixed bent it a tad more)
Worked for me, did it just last week! Thanks for the tip!

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 am

I'll have a go tomorrow. Thank you.

I did try this on a car that was having the same problem many years ago and I couldn't improve it. But as others have been successful with the Z4 wiper arm, I'll have a go.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 pm

Couldn't improve my judering wipers so decided to scrap my modern aero blades buy a set of old style Bosch blades. Got the Bosch Super Plus SP21/19AS set, which includes a 21" drivers side with spoiler and a 19" passenger side, but this blade is curved.

Which side should the spoiler go?
I assume it should go below the blade and not at the top as per my photo. I'm not sure if the mounting unclips to turn it around.
Boschwiper1.jpg
Boschwiper1.jpg (90.85 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
The passenger side blade is curved. I put the box above to highlight the curved blade as without it wasn't easy to see. What's the point of a curved blade? Is this curving the correct way or do I need to change this over too?
Boschwiper2.jpg
Boschwiper2.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 2381 times