Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front Wheel Bearing?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Front Wheel Bearing?

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

What do you think?

Pick the car up from the airport and up to speed on the motorway and cruising steadily, But steering starts vibrating like its lost a weight in one wheel. Gets really wobbly so think flat tyre ( but no warning lights)
Drop to 60 and smooth and then leave motorway and drives as smooth as silk.

Suit on and slinging down rain, so drive the last few miles home.
Arriving home braking feels slightly pulsating, but nothing to be concerned with...

Get home and a quick look.
Star in the front N/S 108 rim is very, very hot, disk near glowing, BUT brake caliper stone cold.

Heat soaking into wheel heats whole wheel quickly.

I'm reckoning wheel bearing failure?

What do you folks reckon as too late to jack it up and test tonight?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Front Wheel Bearing?

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 pm

Could be I would say possibly a stick calliper? But with it going away that's unlikely?!

When my calliper was sticking it had all the same symptoms. But when I stopped the car and had a look and a bit of a weight. I could get back in the car and drive off and it was better??
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Sticking brake calliper imo. Possibly jack the car up and spin the suspect wheel, see if there's any drag?

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Well it's caliper or bearing. My initial thinking was bearing as the caliper was stone cold. Now I guess the pads could insulate the caliper body, so can't rule it out.

Braking was also dead straight but I'd have expected pull with the pads on one side being so hot vs other side.

Will be easy enough in the morning to jack it up and look and see what I can find.
If it rotates freely with no grind or play then I'll go caliper. Problem is you can bet after a night at 2c it'll be super smooth...

Nelly Welly

Post by Nelly Welly » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:33 am

Caliper without a doubt. Mine did it three times before it stuck so bad it glowed red.

:cry:
Lost in space, found in a dustbin........

2005 Z4 2.2
2011 318 d Estate Recalled and repaired - Update: Turbo blown new one about to get fitted.... :headbang:
2008 2.0d Mondeo Estate Gone but not forgotten
2008 TDV6 Discovery 3 HSE

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Good call guys.

Without the suit, tired and being late home in the evening, it was a quick job this morning to jack up the front, feel the wheel was binding fairly tight on the pads. Clearly 'sticky caliper'. Dismantled worked it a few times refitted and all is well after a test run, but will get a replacement asap as I'm sure they never fully cure once sticking.

Bearing fine and heat did no damage to anything.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Great news :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Pleased to hear it's sorted :thumbsup:

Bazoz4

Post by Bazoz4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:09 pm

I had similar problem with a Saab turned out to be exposed part of calliper pistons being corroded and not allowing pistons to back off freely in those days it was clean pistons up with bit of emery paper rubber lubricant and job sorted. Hope all goes well. Cheers Baz :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 2.0 Roadster Montego Blue euro N46
2009 Hyundai Coupe S111 2.0 Silver
K5 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Blue and White Bike
All in use Z4 and Bike dry days only

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 pm

In all likelihood you've glazed the discs, or possibly warped them slightly. They don't like getting to those sorts of temp, unless maybe they're racing ones?
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Typical auto driver, left foot on the brake all the time :evil: :poke:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Ha ha - auto driver.

Glazed or distorted - no way. High end disks and put a dial gauge in them. True as a die.

I have however picked up a refurbished oem caliper (£80) painted it red and will fit tomorrow.

Can't be doing with risking it going again, especially as I'm working out of England and need to get to the airport early each Monday without issues :(

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:57 pm

im getting the same issues, so playing safe replacing both front wheel bearings and new pads in the 8 pots. :D :D

car brakes straights an fine but constant noise from wheels. :headbang:
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Fitted off side front wheel bearing, didn't need bearing puller, the old one fell off !!!
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Rickie08

Front Wheel Bearing?

Post by Rickie08 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello Mac, I know this is an old post but was the bearing hard to change? I’ve bought one and I’m handy with a spanner but I can’t seen to find any diy’s for a z4? Is there anything that I should watch out for?