Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

little niggles

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
taffy

little niggles

Post by taffy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 am

picked up the car tuesday and absolutely over the moon with her but I do have some niggles that i'm hoping can be easily resolved

PDC - my car has the sensors in the bumper but I can't hear anything when i'm close walls etc, is there a way of switiching it on and off?

Ipod - I have the BMW connector, works intermittently , i was hoping for full control via the screen, is there an upgrade that I can fit to it to do this, dealer mentioned something?

Nav - No post code, its a 2007 car so I assumed it would have this, can it be added back in?

BT - Can't get my phone to connect, dealer said that they did away with passcodes now and we just have to enter what we want, suggested 0000 but it just won't connect. The phone is a Sony P990i which connected pefectly well in the old M3, its a crap phone anyway so was thinking of getting a Nokia or something just for the car, is there a list of something that'll fit the BMW cradle's?

Ride - the handling is superb but the ride is very harsh and IMO would benefit from some softer springs, does anyone know the actual rating of the OEM springs, someone mentioned a roadster swap, i only want to do springs so not interested in swapping struts etc

senwar

Re: little niggles

Post by senwar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 am

taffy wrote:picked up the car tuesday and absolutely over the moon with her but I do have some niggles that i'm hoping can be easily resolved

PDC - my car has the sensors in the bumper but I can't hear anything when i'm close walls etc, is there a way of switiching it on and off?
I don't believe there's a way to switch it off so I'd definitely get that checked out. Silly question, but you are just referring to rear sensors?
taffy wrote:Ipod - I have the BMW connector, works intermittently , i was hoping for full control via the screen, is there an upgrade that I can fit to it to do this, dealer mentioned something?
I don't believe you can have full control via the screen with the BMW adaptor. To be honest, the DICE is the same - whilst it uses the screen, its pretty worthless information and is not the best use of the size of the screen.
taffy wrote:Nav - No post code, its a 2007 car so I assumed it would have this, can it be added back in?
You should at least have 2007-1 High DVD - this does have PC input - you put it in where it says City. Although its not full PC input - just first part of the PC plus next digiit - i.e. S35 9
taffy wrote:BT - Can't get my phone to connect, dealer said that they did away with passcodes now and we just have to enter what we want, suggested 0000 but it just won't connect. The phone is a Sony P990i which connected pefectly well in the old M3, its a crap phone anyway so was thinking of getting a Nokia or something just for the car, is there a list of something that'll fit the BMW cradle's?
Thats not correct - mine is a March 07 and came with a bluetooth sheet with a passcode on - definitely go back to the dealer for that. The latest parts catalogue is the best to get the cradle info - but they don't support many phones to be honest (the cradle not BT)
taffy wrote:Ride - the handling is superb but the ride is very harsh and IMO would benefit from some softer springs, does anyone know the actual rating of the OEM springs, someone mentioned a roadster swap, i only want to do springs so not interested in swapping struts etc
Not sure on this one, but no doubt someone will come along.

taffy

Post by taffy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:45 am

Just spoken to the dealer now, you're right about the passcode, its not in the pack either so have to go to my local dealer! :evil: :thumbsdown:

I'll check out the Nav.

yes they're rear sensors, will get it checked out when I go to get a passcode for the BT

cheers

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 am

Not sure if it makes any difference... but I've got what look like rear sensors on by rear bumper, but no PDC. I always assumed it was a placeholder for the PDC which is part of every bumper.

D.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:29 pm

For phone information visit

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth

I would point out though that myself and a colleague have been using Windows Mobile 5.0 devices with BMW kits in an 05 320Cd, and a 04 535d without issues, so the list inst exhaustive and they work very will (without cradle of course)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:55 pm

davidpfitz wrote:Not sure if it makes any difference... but I've got what look like rear sensors on by rear bumper, but no PDC. I always assumed it was a placeholder for the PDC which is part of every bumper.

D.
No way. If you don't have pdc, you don't have ANY holes in the bumber.

Just a stupid question, but you know that PDC only works when the gear is in reverse ...
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

taffy

Post by taffy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:18 pm

pvr wrote:
davidpfitz wrote:Not sure if it makes any difference... but I've got what look like rear sensors on by rear bumper, but no PDC. I always assumed it was a placeholder for the PDC which is part of every bumper.

D.

Just a stupid question, but you know that PDC only works when the gear is in reverse ...
Yes I do, but it still doesn't go off

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Check each of them. It is common for them to go wrong, but check each one in case there are just a couple faulty
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

phil_d

Rear PDC

Post by phil_d » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:07 am

Don't forget, that rear PDC only works (beeps at you) as you approach an object at or less than about 60cm (I think) and the tone will increase in the closer you get to an object - your owners manual will give you the specs.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm

and apparently jetwashes break them.

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:33 pm

pvr wrote:

D.

Is that true of all models? (Mine's an 03) I'll post a piccy, but I definitely have holes in the bumper and I don't get any PDC noises!

D.

Aebous
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Aebous » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:08 am

davidpfitz wrote:
pvr wrote:

D.

Is that true of all models? (Mine's an 03) I'll post a piccy, but I definitely have holes in the bumper and I don't get any PDC noises!

D.
I'll chime in here and say the same thing.
I have the cutouts but I've yet to notice mine going off. Although I've yet to actually test em but I've not noticed anything when parking near other cars. I'll have to test tommorow.
'03 Z4 3.0i manual transmission w/ sports package, interior xenons, wind deflector, Michelin Sport PS3's, cheap big brake upgrade, headlights with black internals and clear lenses, Alutech braces inc horizontal strut bar.
ZEEEE 4

Ric

Post by Ric » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:44 pm

I had an engine fault light checked the other week - apparantly a one off oxygen sensor fault in the exhaust system but the PDC didn't work afterwards. The dealer said the two were unconnected but when I brought it back in they plugged inthe diagnostics, said that there were no faults logged but the sensors were working again!! Go figure...

As for holes in the bumper, the PDC has 4 sensors at the top of the main part but isn't there also the towing eye hole lower down...

davidpfitz

Post by davidpfitz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 pm

In all honesty, I'd find a PDC more useful at the front that the back!

David.