Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof & Window issue after fitting regulator

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wilbo

Roof & Window issue after fitting regulator

Post by wilbo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Fitted a passenger regulator at the weekend as the old one was knackered. Obviously had to disconnect the battery due to the airbag, which has resulted in two problems:

1) Firstly, the auto up on the passenger window does not work. Guess this was an extra feature programmed in but lost by disconnecting battery. Any way to get this back?

2) Main issue here. When I put the roof down, the windows drop half way, roof goes back then only the drivers window goes back up, passenger window stays half down. If I move the passenger window up or down, the roof light starts flashing. I then hold the roof button again until it stops flashing, and the drivers window will close but it does nothing to the passenger window.

I have spent almost 30 minutes trying various window reset procedures from threads on here but this hasn't done a thing and hasn't cured the above. Starting to get pretty fed up with this car, its a good job I love driving it.

wilbo

Re: Roof & Window issue after fitting regulator

Post by wilbo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 am

Anyone have this issue and got a solution?

rish13

Post by rish13 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:20 pm

wilbo wrote:Fitted a passenger regulator at the weekend as the old one was knackered. Obviously had to disconnect the battery due to the airbag, which has resulted in two problems:

1) Firstly, the auto up on the passenger window does not work. Guess this was an extra feature programmed in but lost by disconnecting battery. Any way to get this back?

2) Main issue here. When I put the roof down, the windows drop half way, roof goes back then only the drivers window goes back up, passenger window stays half down. If I move the passenger window up or down, the roof light starts flashing. I then hold the roof button again until it stops flashing, and the drivers window will close but it does nothing to the passenger window.

I have spent almost 30 minutes trying various window reset procedures from threads on here but this hasn't done a thing and hasn't cured the above. Starting to get pretty fed up with this car, its a good job I love driving it.
Hey Wilbo,

I had the same problem last weekend. The windows just went weird and started dancing!

What I did was;

1. Close the roof entirely
2. Drop the windows down all the way
3. Lift the windows up together (not on auto mode) all the way and continue holding the window switches up for about 10-15 seconds after the windows had closed fully.

That worked for me, hopefully it does for you too.
3.0 Si SE Roadster, Montego Blue

gingertosser

Post by gingertosser » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:40 pm

yes this is the window reset you have to this after disconnecting the battery
GT

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 pm

As above, I have tried multiple window resets including those mentioned, but will try again this evenng.

Chezsherman

Post by Chezsherman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Mine also (passenger auto up has stopped working the window doesn't move if u press it for normal but does if u press fully (for the auto up).
Previous car Bmw z4 2.0i sport 07 plate, sapphire black, M sport interior. now with Gaptech RCH+ module, MTec drilled and grooved disks, MV1 alloys in a dark chrome finish.
Current car E89 2014 20i sdrive msport with idrive.

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Still got this issue. With roof down button held in, both windows lower half way, roof opens fully and drivers window goes back up but passenger window stays down. Is this normal or should it go back up?

The flashing red light stays off until I move the passenger window either up or down, and then it starts flashing. The only way to get it to stop flashing is to hold the roof down button and the drivers window goes up, but passenger doesnt move.

I have tried to reset the window about 30 times now and the above still occurs so it can't be that.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 pm

When you try resetting the one touch window up/down function do you have the door shut? The teach procedure doesn't work with the door open (don't ask me how I know this)
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Right. I have exactly the same problem with mine after fitting another passenger door. Mine won't reset either.
I recently bought the bmw software and interface (forget what it's called)
But there was a code saying something about the windows sensor (whatever makes the window go back down when resistance is detected ie your hand getting stuck) being faulty. I'm guessing the sensor is part of the motor but haven't actually investigated it yet. So maybe you've disturbed/replaced the sensor maybe you know more than I do, but it won't let your (or at least my) window reset because it won't be able to detect anything restricting the glass and possibly causing harm.

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 am

Hi Guys,

HAVE BOTH DOORS CLOSED

To reset the window regulator, put the window all the way down and hold the button for 6 seconds (it should take 5 sec but I did 6) this worked when i had to reset mine.... deff worth a try! no harm

good luck

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am

Have had both doors closed every time I have tried the reset and held it for 5, 10, 15, 20.... seconds. Literally tried every single way and the window still stays in the middle and causes the roof light to flash.

What does the reset actually do? Let the regulator know where the top is so that when you put the roof down it returns to the top??

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:41 pm

wilbo wrote:Have had both doors closed every time I have tried the reset and held it for 5, 10, 15, 20.... seconds. Literally tried every single way and the window still stays in the middle and causes the roof light to flash.

What does the reset actually do? Let the regulator know where the top is so that when you put the roof down it returns to the top??
On my car resetting the windows re-enabled one touch opening/closing which it lost after I changed the battery.
Regards

e85 3.0si sold

Sim_Simma

Post by Sim_Simma » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 pm

wilbo wrote:Have had both doors closed every time I have tried the reset and held it for 5, 10, 15, 20.... seconds. Literally tried every single way and the window still stays in the middle and causes the roof light to flash.

Did you read my reply above?

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Finally got this sorted today :D with the help of Z4Golfers info in this thread below:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=190

For reference, I followed this procedure:

1. Open the window fully and when it had reaches the bottom, press the button a further four times.
2. Then close the window fully and hold the button up for a second or so.
3. Then open the window by approximately four inches, and then closed it again and hold the button for a second again.

So glad I finally found a procedure that worked.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 pm

wilbo wrote:Finally got this sorted today :D with the help of Z4Golfers info in this thread below:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=190

For reference, I followed this procedure:

1. Open the window fully and when it had reaches the bottom, press the button a further four times.
2. Then close the window fully and hold the button up for a second or so.
3. Then open the window by approximately four inches, and then closed it again and hold the button for a second again.

So glad I finally found a procedure that worked.
The doors must also be closed for window teaching to work.
Regards

e85 3.0si sold