Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

what does detonation feel like? a thump and a thunk?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
louis

what does detonation feel like? a thump and a thunk?

Post by louis » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:16 pm

hi guys,

would like to know if any of you could describe how engine knocking feels like when you're driving. is it purely a sound or can you actually feel it?

i was driving at about 50km/h in 5th gear(wrong gear.... i know...) and felt(and heard) a thump when trying to accelerate. my throttle was probably above 50% but i certainly was no where near being WOT.

it sounded like "thoooomp" and it felt as though i tapped on the brakes by accident.

i've had it happen a few times already, mostly in fifth gear, once in 4th, usually while attempting in-gear accleration from a low-ish speed.

does this sound like detonation to you?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:27 am

Sorry mate, I'm not the most technical among us... Doesn't sound healthy at all though, would personally get it to a garage asap :o
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:56 pm

I agree....usually the car will jump around like it is trying to stall if your gear is too high for the speed....get it checked :(

louis

Post by louis » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:53 pm

ran a OBD2 diagnostic check yesterday.

no faut codes relating to any cylinder misfires but i had several other fault codes including faulty DSC sensors, Hi-FI amplifier, rooftop control module.. etc etc

but i suppose the most likely culprit would be the fault code for a faulty crankshaft position sensor. a replacement has been ordered and will be fitted on tuesday, so hopefully that'll resolve my problems...

until then, i'm still curious what knocking would feel/sound like though.

cheers
Louis

zee42

Post by zee42 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 pm

you would hear the knocking.....but I doubt that you would feel it,maybe some lack of overall performance,but thats about it.sounds like the crankshaft position sensor will solve it.Had one go bad on one of my vehicles and it would stall or not start at all.that replacement will probably do the trick :thumbsup: :thumbsup: