Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sticky steering problem. Time to sort it! Help and advice.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
spic

Post by spic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 am

:? To be honest I know one of the drill bits I was using is really good and will normally go through anything so I think your right I should stop as the drill wasn't really going any further, plus was half asleep when I started getting involved with it yesterday evening so I will take a fresh look at it later today :thumbsup:

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Bah my '06 2.0 62k miles black un has developed this problem. Gonna try greasing the UJs first I guess.

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:19 pm

Is there anyone in the North West that could help me with this issue please?

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Just to further elaborate on the issue, does anyone else experience the steering vibrate / twitch from left to right - more prominent on heavy braking, but intermittent?

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:19 pm

I would start with checking the front brakes,you might have a sticking caliper.
When it next happens ,pull over and put your hand on the wheels,if one is hotter than the others this will indicate a sticking caliper.

rpc_25

Post by rpc_25 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 pm

maxman wrote:I would start with checking the front brakes,you might have a sticking caliper.
When it next happens ,pull over and put your hand on the wheels,if one is hotter than the others this will indicate a sticking caliper.
Thanks I'll try. It's the intermittent element that's throwing me. Particularly when I've read that the sticky steering is prominent when the weather is warm, which is the same circumstance which mine plays up.

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the reply.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:16 am

rpc_25 wrote:Just to further elaborate on the issue, does anyone else experience the steering vibrate / twitch from left to right - more prominent on heavy braking, but intermittent?
This definitely sounds more like a tradition suspension/steering/braking issue than anything to do with the electric steering rack.
depending how competent you can either check these things yourself or go to a garage and stick it on a ramp. Its certainly easier on a ramp.

From what you describe I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn out to be the rear bushes on the front arms
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Some images that may help below...

Done this fix but don't use WD40, guys have listed specific grease due to the tight tolerances of the 'worm' gear, I used a silicone based grease.

Mixed results, it's not as bad and is 100% temp related in my case, power steering went this weekend momentary blip and switching ignition fixes it until the next time. The replacement column is redesigned and void of the issue, others replaced the angle sensor after stripping, others did the torque sensor control box (passenger seat?) and someone should be shot for the small recall forced upon BMW before, due to few complaints, was closed....you should check the VIN's listed though for yours. Insufficient battery output can cause a phase voltage fault (stored) but stress/heat on the motor/worm gear can also ping the code. If you want rid completely, replace the column.

Think if you blow cold air through the front/side vents for a few secs there's no issue.

Hope it helps and it's all detailed here.... http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... eering-Fix sorry for breaking rules if forbidden!

'04 Silver Z4 3.0i, leather, foldy mirrors, key opperated top, Carver, BT, MFSW, Clear light pack, red callipers, Cruise, K&N filter

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:31 pm

Mechanic has checked the sensors, greased the UJs and done the grease nipple modification on mine.
Still no good.
Any other ideas before I trade in?

Thanks

Nick

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes, use the only real solution, re-adjust the adjusting ring between column and eps motor.

read from here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81866&p=1209456&hilit=ring#p1209456

The grease nipple was I think thought of by an american. Readjusting the ring by germans.
Time to choose sides which nations mechanical skills you trust more :rofl:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:15 pm

GuidoK wrote:Yes, use the only real solution, re-adjust the adjusting ring between column and eps motor.

:thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks GuidoK will try this.

Cheers

Nick

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 pm

I rotated the eccentric ring back about 5mm in early June but didn't really get chance to test it as I then went on holiday. On return I went up to The Lakes for the National Meet and found it seemed to be better but still not 100%. On return from the lakes I backed it off a further 5mm and it seems to have cured it - especially as today was probably the hottest day of the year so far. So certainly looks promising :thumbsup:
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Today was indeed a good day to check for sticky steering
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Update: 4 months after the 2nd adjustment of the eccentric ring as I mentioned above it looks like the sticky steering is finally cured as I have had no issues at all through the summer. All it cost me was a set of budget Torx spanners as mine was fastened with male Torx bolts not Allen as mentioned in the German web site instructions. :driving:
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG