Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
tomotomotomo

BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Post by tomotomotomo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Well today I took my car to the local handwash to get rid of the salty road grime. Afterwards I was admiring my nice clean bonnet and noticed the paint on the wings, where they fold down into the engine bay, has started to wear away.

Has anybody else had this? The car is sterling grey so it doesn't exactly go unnoticed.

I found a thread here discussing it.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1065766

Pretty appalled to be honest. On the plus side I did get a nice pic for the newbies forum 8)
2003 E85 3.0i Roadster, sterling grey, premium audio, 107s w/ Kumho KU39, heated black leather

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

Re: BMW cost cutting on the paint job?

Post by ranski » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm

Quite common, also on mine

But it's nearly 10 years old so not too miffed, besides the rest of the paint work is top notch for its age

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 pm

On mine too. Check the boot round the inside as well.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

tomotomotomo

Post by tomotomotomo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Yep around the boot too. Must be to save weight :lol:
2003 E85 3.0i Roadster, sterling grey, premium audio, 107s w/ Kumho KU39, heated black leather

edzed

Post by edzed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

I wasn't aware of this - will have to check mine out. :(
E85 Z4 2.2i Roadster
Maldives Blue, Beige Oregon Leather, MIJ Exhaust, BBS Star Spoke Alloys, Viezu Remap
E63 645i Coupe
Stratos Silver, Beige Oregon Leather, Ellipsoid Alloys

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Same on most modern BMWs , leaving out the shuts which aren't often seen.

I'm pretty sure too that on many of their models they have a decent finish on the roof and bonnet due to bring at eye level but you pay extra for the rest of the paint to match in finish ... Hence look at most decent 3 series and their orange peel on side panels is shocking. Correct me if the reasoning is wrong!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

yg54sg

Post by yg54sg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:50 am

1995 E36 you could eat your steak of it without scratching it! 2004 Z4 i try not to push the sponge too hard when cleaning it. There is certainly a difference in paint quality. the E36 appears to be a lot tougher, i would say its the clearcoat being thicker?
54 3.0i SE, Sterling Grey, 6sp Manual, Dream Red Heated M Sports Seats, Pro Navigation, Carver DSP Sound, Xenon,
Mods: facelift rear bumper + lights LCM reprogram, LED DRL rings, Clear hockey sticks, clear side repeaters, powerflex bushes

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Post by aquazi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

Is this also because they now use non lead water based paints?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am

aquazi wrote:Is this also because they now use non lead water based paints?

Indeed it is and the high temperature curing makes it very brittle, not sure what causes the orange peel effect, but at a recent motor show every car had some allegedly.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:10 pm

yg54sg wrote:1995 E36 you could eat your steak of it without scratching it! 2004 Z4 i try not to push the sponge too hard when cleaning it. There is certainly a difference in paint quality. the E36 appears to be a lot tougher, i would say its the clearcoat being thicker?
Yep agreed - most times I wash her I notice new scratches and chips, especially light scratches limited to the lacquer. So frustrating, already starting to give up cringing over loose surfaces.

With regards to the peel, changing the thinners to water as said increased the peal. Loads of cars have the orange peal thought so not just BMW - however it is definitely worse than many other cars out there. I used to notice it on my mate's 3 series coupe, once you noticed it it really flawed the car's looks which they exaggerate even more by buffing the bonnet to high heaven for first impressions ...
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

jttaylor

Post by jttaylor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 pm

I have this paint issue on my 03 black Z4. Just on the inside of the front wings visbile from looking in between the bonnet edges. I thought I purchase a bad en until
i found posts on piston heads and another forum!

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 pm

my m is the same, the paint on the inner wings and under the bonnet and tailgate is semi matt and very thin, yes water based paint is used for the colour couts but still a 2 pack lacquer, which by the way is so hard to polish scratches out of but it still marks really easily, ..frustrating. the orange peel maybe from high air pressure whilst spraying, and as it a gun finish and not flatted and polished as in the old cellulose days it stays there, i dont think they polish the bonnet and roof as another post said , i think they probably just paint the flat panels a bit wetter , ie a double header coat and it flows a bit more before it flashes off prior to baking. the side vertical panels, doors wings etc need to be painted a bit dryer to avoid runs, this can be achieved by upping the pressure, speeding up the pass of the gun or moving the gun slightly further away from the panel.just an old paint sprayer's take on it . :thumbsup:

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 am

I was once told by a detailer that another possible cause for the poor finish especially on the sides is down to gravity - after the clearcoat is sprayed, on vertical panels, it 'sags' due to its own weight before it is baked. On horizontal surfaces, it can settle flat (or flatter at any rate)
03 Roadster 3.0L SMG - Now sadly gone and much missed.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:11 am

Yes,like alot of "premium" manufacturers these days,paint finish leaves alot to be desired. I was shocked at this when i 1st got my 05 z4 yrs ago,as it had been the replacement for a 2003 Seat Leon Cupra,which then cost 16k(pre-regstd) and had excellent paint finish all round in its silvery-grey(mercury) colour,compared to the poor finish on the boot and engine bay,wings etc on my 20month old 2005 z4 3.0i which had cost the 1st owner 36k!!

Funnily enough,my current 2008 M is better finished than my 05 one was.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am

My paint is exactly the same. I just thought someone had been a bit keen with a machine polisher??
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!