Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Dead

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 Roof Dead

Post by Darren Slone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:37 pm

All 'A OK' now, made sure the Red Pull Thing was seated correctly, checked the micro switch, pulled and released the gromit/string thing, still don't know what it does :?

Everything is fine now, roof up and down no problem, thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

Russ59

Post by Russ59 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Darren Slone wrote:All 'A OK' now, made sure the Red Pull Thing was seated correctly, checked the micro switch, pulled and released the gromit/string thing, still don't know what it does :?

Everything is fine now, roof up and down no problem, thanks for your advice :thumbsup:

When the car is locked, the compartment between the seats also locks, the pull cord in the boot unlocks it in the event of electrical failure.
If the roof is open and locked down you wouldn't be able to raise it manually in the event of an electrical failure unless you pull the cord and press the top button in the centre compartment between the seats to release the lock down catch. Page 23 and 64 in the user manual.
Although once pulled it doesn't seem to retract back to its usual position.
This is the string I am talking about and not the red Bowden cable in the top left of the boot. :thumbsup:
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

Darren Slone
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Darren Slone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Russ59 wrote:
Darren Slone wrote:All 'A OK' now, made sure the Red Pull Thing was seated correctly, checked the micro switch, pulled and released the gromit/string thing, still don't know what it does :?

When the car is locked, the compartment between the seats also locks, the pull cord in the boot unlocks it in the event of electrical failure.
If the roof is open and locked down you wouldn't be able to raise it manually in the event of an electrical failure unless you pull the cord and press the top button in the centre compartment between the seats to release the lock down catch. Page 23 and 64 in the user manual.
Although once pulled it doesn't seem to retract back to its usual position.
This is the string I am talking about and not the red Bowden cable in the top left of the boot. :thumbsup:
Thanks for clearing that up Russ :thumbsup:

Current Porsche Cayman S 987.1

Now sold - Imola Z4MC

Now sold - Silver Grey Z4MC
OEM CSL’s, Supersprint, Gruppe M, Eibachs, Carbon Roof, carbon rear spoiler,,

Now sold - My other Z
‘71 Datsun 240Z imported from West Coast USA

SuperchargedZ4

Z4 Roof Dead

Post by SuperchargedZ4 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 am

In the process of relocating my top motor to the trunk, wasn't sure why my top wouldn't release, this thread helped me a lot. I was freaking out because I thought I had messed something up! :headbang: I had no idea that microswitch was there.
Thanks so much!