Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Red release pull for the roof

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
stirz

Red release pull for the roof

Post by stirz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:27 pm

My roof fails to open ,it unclips but doesnt go back, i have read previous posts about how the red release button should be positioned (which i think i pulled by mistake) , mine has some slack when in the normal position ? i have tried the free it by pulling several times, is the slack in the cable normal ? if not what can i do ? :?
2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

lacroupade
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Red release pull for the roof

Post by lacroupade » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:19 pm

stirz wrote:My roof fails to open ,it unclips but doesnt go back, i have read previous posts about how the red release button should be positioned (which i think i pulled by mistake) , mine has some slack when in the normal position ? i have tried the free it by pulling several times, is the slack in the cable normal ? if not what can i do ? :?
are we talking manual roof here before anyone gets confused? Cos I don't recognise that red button.... :o
==============================================================
If toast always lands jam side down, and a cat always lands on its feet, what happens when you strap a piece of toast, jam side up, to the back of a cat?

stirz

Post by stirz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:24 pm

sorry not a button its a red pull thingy in the boot, i think its sticking stopping the opperation of the roof ?
2003 2.5 se Sapphire Black ....... eibach springs , stubby , cruise control , led boot light , clear third brake light , zhp gear knob , ice ipod aux

TH3R4POR

Post by TH3R4POR » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:29 pm

the roof unlocking but not retracting can be a sign of motor failure

stirz

Post by stirz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

i dont think it is in this case because of the slack in the cable ,its not being pulled back into position i have read that by pulling the cable it releases itself mine wont play ball :headbang:

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Z4MC Imola red

stirz

Post by stirz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Had a look today , looks like its the motor that has packed up ! one thing that i cant do is open the roof fully ,bowden cable pulled into correct position roof uncliped and with me pressing the open button and pushing the roof open at the same time it will not open anymore ? can anyone shed some light as im going to replace motor myself (i think ?) could it be the bowden cable isnt releasing the motor so the fluid wont flow freely ? :? ps cant hear any motor noise ! fuses checked all ok

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:50 pm

Read through the link above from 'no fit state'

That will show you how to set and unset the bypass hook in the trunk to allow manual operation.

If you want to replace your motor, check these links that are in the How-To section.

How to remove your Softtop:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=10189

How to replace your Softtop Motor:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=10190
Drives 2008 Z4MC (His) & 2003 Z4 Roadster (Her's)

stirz

Post by stirz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Update .....took roof off took approx 2-3 hours nice and steady (thumbs hert a little unclipping the rubber trim/hood ) anyway motor was completely knacked due to water/drain holes not cleared ive only had the car a month ......its cost £350 ish from the stealers and i would like to say a BIG thankyou to Shipkiller for your step by step instructions and posts top man, should be up and running as soon as i recieve my new motor cheers mark :thumbsup:

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Glad to be of service.

zeefourdaddy

Post by zeefourdaddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Same here shipkiller. I have the top off after several hours. Followed your instructions from the website. My drains were clear but red water in the enclosure. Do you have suggestions about where to buy a new motor? I wrote down the numbers on the motor and have googled those numbers but no luck yet. I will be making a donation to this site in your honor. You just saved me several hundred bucks for sure! I will let you know when it is back in and working. Do you have a favorite charity? :thumbsup:
Zeefourdaddy
North Carolina
2003 Z4 3.0
2005 545i

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 am

I bought my motor from the local BMW dealer, Checkered Flag.

For online sources, try:

BMW PartzDirect: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214760
Tischer: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=0

I use BMW PartzDirect a lot. But both are normally cheaper (including shipping) than the local dealers.

Where in NC are you located? Anywhere around Norfolk/Va Beach area?

zeefourdaddy

Post by zeefourdaddy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:38 am

Right outside of Charlotte. I used to travel and play ball so I have been to most points of Virginia. I use to go to Charlottesville cause I had a horse in training. Got smart and got out of the horse business!!!!
Zeefourdaddy
North Carolina
2003 Z4 3.0
2005 545i

Shipkiller
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Shipkiller » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:53 am

That sounds like horse s**t...

Oh, sorry, could not resist...... :rofl:

simtech

Post by simtech » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:36 am

Hi

I am about to replace my roof motor, zeefourdaddy did you run into any specific problems taking the roof off?
2009 Sdrive23i Black sapphire
Gone but not forgotten 2003 2.5se Sterling Grey
Done: Cup holders, Cruise control, Softop motor, One touch module, Remote hood module