Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Siener2

Re: Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Post by Siener2 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Leon. wrote:Sorry to hear about this, what a PITA!
a11y wrote:Not that this helps you in getting another one, but it might help it stopping happening again...

I've deactivated my headlamp washers by removing the appropriate fuse as I was worried about the cover coming loose - it was a known issue with a previous car I owned (Renault Clio with xenons). I found them a waste of time, soaking the entire front end of the car with minimal effect of actually cleaning the headlamp lens, plus I rarely let the car get that dirty anyway. I realise they're required legally for MOT on xenon-equipped cars (I'm running halogens :() but it's easy to reinstall the fuse for the likes of MOTs. As I say, might be an option once you've fitted a replacement.
Great idea! Where can I find this fuse? :)
I also want to deactivate my headlight washers as they serve no purpose whatsoever in our climate and I do not wish to lose the little covers that seem to fly off at the first opportunity. Looked in the manual but found no information. Then looked at the fuses behind the glovebox and found a little cardboard diagram, showing that fuses 13 (5A), 38 (30A) and 40 (30A) have something to do with wipers, windscreen washer and headlight washer - in no particular order. First removed fuse 13, but the headlight washer still worked (funny, the volume control on the steering seemed to be deactivated though). Then pulled fuse 40, but have not had the time to test if the headlight washer is now deactivated - the windscreen washer and wipers still work, so maybe this time lucky. Getting those fuses out is a real PITA, even with the little plastic tool.
E86 Z4MC; E36 323i now gone; E46 330i; E60 530d. And a Volkswagen for vacations.
All driven weekly, or should that be weakly...

Leon.

Post by Leon. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Cool, keep us posted :thumbsup:

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:07 pm

Why not just pull the power plug off the headlanp washer motor near the warer reservoir?
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Leon.

Post by Leon. » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:48 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Why not just pull the power plug off the headlanp washer motor near the warer reservoir?
Could be the answer :headbang:

Siener2

Post by Siener2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Siener2 wrote: Then pulled fuse 40, but have not had the time to test if the headlight washer is now deactivated - the windscreen washer and wipers still work, so maybe this time lucky. Getting those fuses out is a real PITA, even with the little plastic tool.
So I can confirm that it is definitely fuse 40 (30A) that you need to remove to deactivate the headlight washer. I have tested that the wipers, windscreen washers and the rain sensor all still work. 8)
The fuses (behind the glovebox / cubby hole) are laid out in four rows, numbered from the left bottom. The bottom row has from 1 to 17, the second row from 18 to 34, the third row from 35 to 51. The top row has the big buggers from 52 to 60. In mine positions 1, 2, 3, 17, 18, 19, 34, 35, 51, 52 and 53 are empty.
E86 Z4MC; E36 323i now gone; E46 330i; E60 530d. And a Volkswagen for vacations.
All driven weekly, or should that be weakly...

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I lost one of mine a couple of years back, and have since disconnected the pump for the headlight washer to stop them covering my car in washer fluid when I just want to give the windscreen a quick clear!

Think it took me about 4-5 weeks to get a replacement too. Had to pay for mine though mind you, as they weren't accepted as a warranty item back then I guess!

IK.

Post by IK. » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:07 pm

This happened on mine. They could easily worm out of it by saying it had been stolen, but because my local dealer know me, they replaced it 2 days later, fully painted and fitted, under warranty.

How do you disconnect it Sixspeed? I hate them! (Messes with my car OCD putting water over the front of the car!)
Currently car-less!
Previous: Z4 3.0si Coupe & Z4M Roadster
Plus a few others!

gord

Post by gord » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:36 pm

This is quite an old thread, apologies for the bump, but I suffered this problem over a year ago and when I found out how much it was going to cost me I wasn't exactly enamored with the situation, which is why it took me a year to fix. The vertical bracket on my pump head had snapped at some point and my cap/connector gone with it. Irritatingly the most expensive single part, the pump, worked fine so I figured maybe I could repair it. I ordered all of the parts (great service by the parts dept. in Lincoln) and measured up the key ones once they arrived, drew them up and used Shapeways to print them at a cost of around £10. I did think about printing the actual cap too, but it's complex, asymmetric and you've got to get it primed/printed (great service from Elite Motors in Northampton on my new one).

Parts. I didn't bevel any of the printed parts because I knew I could file them if I wished later.

Before. You can see the vertical support has snapped, leaving my cap stranded somewhere in the countryside.

Prepared. I've filed off the remainder of the old bracket and taken advantage of the larger surface area to glue onto.

After. Some heavy duty epoxy and it's all set. Although there is a small snag...

..so, I did all of the above after fitting my new parts, which means the fix is untested. I think this is a pretty solid job and I wouldn't be afraid of using it in my car, which if either one fails again I will do. I'm not selling the parts yet but you can see them on Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/designer/gord. If there is demand I'll happily make them available, there will be no mark-up, you'll just pay the cost of the materials. Or there may be no demand, in which case I have learnt quite a bit about the power of printing parts.

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Post by gannet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 am

fantastic if it works :thumbsup:
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

Rich-hill

Headlight washer cover fell off :(

Post by Rich-hill » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm

gord wrote:This is quite an old thread, apologies for the bump, but I suffered this problem over a year ago and when I found out how much it was going to cost me I wasn't exactly enamored with the situation, which is why it took me a year to fix. The vertical bracket on my pump head had snapped at some point and my cap/connector gone with it. Irritatingly the most expensive single part, the pump, worked fine so I figured maybe I could repair it. I ordered all of the parts (great service by the parts dept. in Lincoln) and measured up the key ones once they arrived, drew them up and used Shapeways to print them at a cost of around £10. I did think about printing the actual cap too, but it's complex, asymmetric and you've got to get it primed/printed (great service from Elite Motors in Northampton on my new one).

Parts. I didn't bevel any of the printed parts because I knew I could file them if I wished later.

Before. You can see the vertical support has snapped, leaving my cap stranded somewhere in the countryside.

Prepared. I've filed off the remainder of the old bracket and taken advantage of the larger surface area to glue onto.

After. Some heavy duty epoxy and it's all set. Although there is a small snag...

..so, I did all of the above after fitting my new parts, which means the fix is untested. I think this is a pretty solid job and I wouldn't be afraid of using it in my car, which if either one fails again I will do. I'm not selling the parts yet but you can see them on Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/designer/gord. If there is demand I'll happily make them available, there will be no mark-up, you'll just pay the cost of the materials. Or there may be no demand, in which case I have learnt quite a bit about the power of printing parts.

I need to find where i can get one of these triangular looking things, as its the part i am missing