Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Exhaust flange corroded

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jamo96

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Jamo96 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Exhaust started blowing after about 15 mins of driving, got under the car to find the flange (both sides) from the down pipe is completely past it, just wondering if anybody knows anyone who would take this repair on as here in Swindon I can’t seem to find anyone, all help appreciated :D
2003 2.5i Sterling grey E85 manual, black leather interior,

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Jamo

It’s a PITA of a job!! Surly though it’s not the flange but the bolts and gasket that are badly corroded? The exhaust is Stainless steel so should be ok. It can be done at home i have done 3 off them now and it’s a horrible job to do. It can take a long time to drill the bolts out. I am not a mechanic and if you could get to me on a week day. I could possibly help out. I am in Witney but my workshop is near Woodstock. So not a million miles from you.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Mike6

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Mike6 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Usual problem for Zeds and series 3 BMWs. My MOT station recommended 'Mr Exhaust' so took my car to them and they did an excellent job. Primarily a clean up and new bolts and it looks new. Mr Exhaust said it wasnt stainless steel but a composition material which can corrode but much slower than steel. A bit of advice is to buy the gasket from BMW first and get them to use that as I hear that aftermarket gaskets are a bit smaller internally and can restrict exhaust flow. You should have a Mr Exhaust your way. Allow around £150 for the job - they should also give you a lifetime warranty.

Jamo96

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Jamo96 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 am Hi Jamo

It’s a PITA of a job!! Surly though it’s not the flange but the bolts and gasket that are badly corroded? The exhaust is Stainless steel so should be ok. It can be done at home i have done 3 off them now and it’s a horrible job to do. It can take a long time to drill the bolts out. I am not a mechanic and if you could get to me on a week day. I could possibly help out. I am in Witney but my workshop is near Woodstock. So not a million miles from you.
Ooh not a million miles away atall, I’ll get underneath the car ASAP and try and get a picture for you see what you think? The bolts are in shocking condition but thought was whole flange also. Appreciate that alot mate

Jamo96

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Jamo96 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Mike6 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:00 pm Usual problem for Zeds and series 3 BMWs. My MOT station recommended 'Mr Exhaust' so took my car to them and they did an excellent job. Primarily a clean up and new bolts and it looks new. Mr Exhaust said it wasnt stainless steel but a composition material which can corrode but much slower than steel. A bit of advice is to buy the gasket from BMW first and get them to use that as I hear that aftermarket gaskets are a bit smaller internally and can restrict exhaust flow. You should have a Mr Exhaust your way. Allow around £150 for the job - they should also give you a lifetime warranty.
Yeah having done some research I’ve found it to be fairly common, test of exhaust is completely fine though, cheers for the advice mate will have a look at the gaskets now and the nearest mr exhaust!

aarsavage

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by aarsavage » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Ive only skim read this thread but could these be the fix?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-Z ... SwHxVW69F2

srhutch

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by srhutch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 pm

aarsavage wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 pm Ive only skim read this thread but could these be the fix?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-Z ... SwHxVW69F2
Wrong end of the car. They are for back boxes on ///M’s

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

For £150 I would supply a set of new stainless tips. I can do the job you supply the gasgets but I would have to do it on a week day as I don’t have weekend time. So that might be a deciding factor for you.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:10 pm

+1 done a couple myself on 3.0's right PITA! No idea what those studs are made from, but they are bloody hard!

Mike

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:10 pm

+1 done a couple myself on 3.0's right PITA! No idea what those studs are made from, but they are bloody hard!

Mike
They are forged in Mordor I think DLV!!

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Mike
:D I ended up piercing a hole through the centre of the the studs with the plasma cutter after cutting them flush and tapping them out - Gave up on drilling after the 3rd bit went dull

Mike

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Mike
:D I ended up piercing a hole through the centre of the the studs with the plasma cutter after cutting them flush and tapping them out - Gave up on drilling after the 3rd bit went dull

Mike
I have some bad ass drills. Low rpm and plenty of cutting fluid still a PITA though!!

Jamo96

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Jamo96 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:42 pm

All sorted, Bell Silencer did it for £50, gaskets £30 from BMW, not too bad, should hopefully stop the blowing
Attachments
10BB5353-F0B7-4467-9655-6F4C3FCB25AE.jpeg
10BB5353-F0B7-4467-9655-6F4C3FCB25AE.jpeg (213.81 KiB) Viewed 1239 times

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Looks like a good job, BUT I can't see the two steady brackets refitted to the engine side??

Mike

ashley544

Exhaust flange corroded

Post by ashley544 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Jamo96

How's the exhaust repair lasting?

I've got the same problem and Swindon's not that far from Gloucester