Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Occasional rough running

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TrentSC

Occasional rough running

Post by TrentSC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I've got a curious problem with my new Z4 (it's a 2006 E85 2.5i Sport) and I'd be grateful for advice...

It runs exclusively on Shell V-Power super unleaded, and three times over the past 6 weeks it's suddenly started running painfully roughly - spluttering, as though it's running out of fuel for 5-15 minutes. It continues to drive, but if I take my foot off the gas the engine dies. It happened again today and I stopped for 5 minutes; when I fired up again, it was perfect.

On the last two occasions it's been on around a third of a tank, and on the possibility that it was a batch of iffy petrol I've just brimmed it.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or might know what it could be? From my perspective it's not electrical (no engine management warnings when I plugged it in the first time, and no warning lights on the dash), so it could either be crap in the tank, crap in the fuel filter or summat else.

Thanks in advance.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Occasional rough running

Post by ph001 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 pm

It certainly could be moisture/ crap in the fuel. See how you go on th next tank.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Markos_Z4

Occasional rough running

Post by Markos_Z4 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:18 am

maybe you have to use a injector cleaner
i had in 2016 also roughly - spluttering engine i had a bad lambdasonde
M-Front & M-Rear Bumper / Aero Skirts / 9J + 10.0J 20 inch Barracuda Voltec T6 gloss black inox Lip / Custom Quad Exhaust / Gloss Black Painted Roof / Gloss Black Painted front Lip / M-Sport Suspension / M-interior

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/markos_z4/

Silverzedtom

Occasional rough running

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am

Could the high pressure fuel pump be on its way out? I would have gone with intake if you hadn’t have said you didn’t get any codes.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

TrentSC

Occasional rough running

Post by TrentSC » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll investigate further and report back!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Occasional rough running

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 am Could the high pressure fuel pump be on its way out? I would have gone with intake if you hadn’t have said you didn’t get any codes.
E85 doesn't have HPFP! but it does have the usual one in the tank.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

andyfanshawe

Occasional rough running

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 pm

TrentSC wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 pm I've got a curious problem with my new Z4 (it's a 2006 E85 2.5i Sport) and I'd be grateful for advice...

It runs exclusively on Shell V-Power super unleaded, and three times over the past 6 weeks it's suddenly started running painfully roughly - spluttering, as though it's running out of fuel for 5-15 minutes. It continues to drive, but if I take my foot off the gas the engine dies. It happened again today and I stopped for 5 minutes; when I fired up again, it was perfect.

On the last two occasions it's been on around a third of a tank, and on the possibility that it was a batch of iffy petrol I've just brimmed it.

Has anyone else experienced something similar or might know what it could be? From my perspective it's not electrical (no engine management warnings when I plugged it in the first time, and no warning lights on the dash), so it could either be crap in the tank, crap in the fuel filter or summat else.

Thanks in advance.

Hi TrentSC.
You don't have to guess here!!
This is exactly what live data is for.
Can you record the data when it happens? And post it on here?
Have you got a suitable scan tool that will do this?
Even set up a video camera on it to catch when it happens?

There are experts out there who can diagnose a car from the drivers seat (well, almost!), no swaptronics (swapping parts) or any other potentially expensive guesses! And I know there are loads on here. Me included. This is my job!!

Give us some clues.....get that live data!! :D
Andy.

TrentSC

Occasional rough running

Post by TrentSC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:10 pm
TrentSC wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 pm I've got a curious problem with my new Z4 (it's a 2006 E85 2.5i Sport) and I'd be grateful for advice...

Thanks in advance.

Hi TrentSC.
You don't have to guess here!!
This is exactly what live data is for.
Can you record the data when it happens? And post it on here?
Have you got a suitable scan tool that will do this?
Even set up a video camera on it to catch when it happens?

There are experts out there who can diagnose a car from the drivers seat (well, almost!), no swaptronics (swapping parts) or any other potentially expensive guesses! And I know there are loads on here. Me included. This is my job!!

Give us some clues.....get that live data!! :D
Andy.
Hi Andy,

The first time it happened it cleared after a few minutes and a subsequent scan drew a blank. On the second time, it lasted longer, but cleared once I'd restarted the car after an hour and again, nothing showed up when I took it into the local shop.

What kind of live scanning tools are available? I'm assuming I'd need to plug summat into the car's reader port and Bluetooth it to my Android phone. Any not-too-horribly-expensive suggestions?

Cheers.

andyfanshawe

Occasional rough running

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 pm

There's loads available out there and i'm sure others will chip in, but as a minimum we need live data displaying all o2 sensors and short and long term fuel trim.
Yes, there are bluetooth ones available and cables you can buy to plug into a laptop and use INPA, but I don't use them much at all.
Here's a good start..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-New-Aut ... Sw-W5Uti2g

Try and catch it in the act and record the live data. I sometimes get a friend to video it on their phone.

My suspicions is that your car is running lean intermittently, but need evidence to support this. Reasons can be many.

Don't hesitate to pop back for advice.

Andy.

Mike6

Occasional rough running

Post by Mike6 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Strangely I have just been looking at my daughter in laws old Ford Focus that had similar issues. First thing was to pull the spark plugs and they had developed a massive gap. Simply re gaped and car runs fine so worth a quick check on your car.