I have a light show! What does it mean?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
flattened
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by flattened » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi everyone,

4 amber lights on my dash followed by a beep after several feet of driving. I also don't think she handles too great in the damp at the moment.
E85, 2005 2.2iSE

Please see the image.
lamps.jpg
lamps.jpg (127.64 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Can you please help me?

Many thanks - Andy. :tumbleweed:
Last edited by flattened on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Marlon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8545
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lancs.
Contact:

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Marlon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Could be a steering sensor - need to get a code reader plugged in and see what it throws up, otherwise its guess work
Image
3.0si 2008 | Remap | M seats | M wheel
Cruise | Style 32 alloys | DLV back box

Online
User avatar
Buckz
Member
Member
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 am
Location: West sussex

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Buckz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:19 pm

turn it off and forget about it.. will probably be fine after a few hours. Mine did it once after I stalled and triggered it somehow, was fine since then.
Image
Now for sale... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=101949 :(

flattened
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by flattened » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm

I tried the 'forget it' ploy but it won't go away; I've been sitting on this one for a week and it was an unexpected wobble when I hit the gas in 2nd in the damp yesterday that made me think there maybe something more to it...

Online
User avatar
Buckz
Member
Member
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 am
Location: West sussex

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Buckz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm

flattened wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm
I tried the 'forget it' ploy but it won't go away; I've been sitting on this one for a week and it was an unexpected wobble when I hit the gas in 2nd in the damp yesterday that made me think there maybe something more to it...
well the thing with these is once the lights pop up the car disables the traction control and abs.. so I would not be surprised if you're driving with 0 assists.

I'd say it's a sensor too, common for them to fail.

other could be an ABS pump, again common thing..
Image
Now for sale... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=101949 :(

User avatar
pvr
Legend
Legend
Posts: 22162
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: South East UK

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 pm

My money is on the ABS pump, those were the error lights I got as well.

If it was the steering angle sensor that a full lock one way and a full lock the other might reset it.
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5 40d - full fat comfort
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Jeep
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)

flattened
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by flattened » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Buckz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm
flattened wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm
I tried the 'forget it' ploy but it won't go away; I've been sitting on this one for a week and it was an unexpected wobble when I hit the gas in 2nd in the damp yesterday that made me think there maybe something more to it...
well the thing with these is once the lights pop up the car disables the traction control and abs.. so I would not be surprised if you're driving with 0 assists.

I'd say it's a sensor too, common for them to fail.

other could be an ABS pump, again common thing..
Thanks for that, great stuff. I did have an ODB II reader but nothing came out on it. Are the sensors rear or front for this? I'm thinking a trip to the garage is in order...

User avatar
Marlon
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8545
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Lancs.
Contact:

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Marlon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:49 pm

flattened wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm
Buckz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm
flattened wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:26 pm
I tried the 'forget it' ploy but it won't go away; I've been sitting on this one for a week and it was an unexpected wobble when I hit the gas in 2nd in the damp yesterday that made me think there maybe something more to it...
well the thing with these is once the lights pop up the car disables the traction control and abs.. so I would not be surprised if you're driving with 0 assists.

I'd say it's a sensor too, common for them to fail.

other could be an ABS pump, again common thing..
Thanks for that, great stuff. I did have an ODB II reader but nothing came out on it. Are the sensors rear or front for this? I'm thinking a trip to the garage is in order...
Front - I had similar warning lights and a new front steering angle sensor cleared them (although in my case the code reader threw up the sensor as the problem)
Image
3.0si 2008 | Remap | M seats | M wheel
Cruise | Style 32 alloys | DLV back box

Z4 Gaz
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm
Location: South Hams

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Z4 Gaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I have just finished doing some brake work on our E91 and had all those symbols afterwards. Cleared with a code reader and haven't come back. I only removed one caliper and replaced a flexi hose so not sure why they came on.
E85 3.0i

User avatar
markeg
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 8006
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 pm
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by markeg » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:17 pm

I had this, same lights. Took it into the dealers and they ran it through diagnostics and reported it as the steering wheel sensor, around £600 to replace (apparently £190 for the part and £410 for labour, have the quote somewhere). Took it to my local indy, he also ran it through the diagnostics and identified it as the ABS sensor, near side wheel. £100 for the OEM part (from Sopers, with forum discount) and an easy fit, codes cleared and all fixed.
Alpina Roadster S, #108: now for sale
Image
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

User avatar
ph001
Member
Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by ph001 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Those lights usually mean abs sensor (wheel speed sensor). See my post here...viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101485&hilit=Dsc
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

Online
User avatar
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5038
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Merseyside

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:17 pm

flattened wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 pm
Hi everyone,

4 amber lights on my dash followed by a beep after several feet of driving. I also don't think she handles too great in the damp at the moment.
E85, 2005 2.2iSE

Please see the image.

lamps.jpg

Can you please help me?

Many thanks - Andy. :tumbleweed:
Andy,

It's probably the abs pump, but a code read is needed to confirm and rule out anything else. The abs pumps can be repaired, I've done a couple now.

Where abouts are you as you'll probably find a member local to you who can read the codes for you.

Mike

MACK
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:38 am
Location: Manchester

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by MACK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I think it's more likely to be the abs sensor than the pump or one of its pressure sensors as when mine played up I didnt have the tyre pressure symbol just the other three.
05 3.0i SE in Titanium.
Mods inc - Facelift Xenons, M Sport Wheel & Leather Elec/Heated Seats, 15 & 20mm Spacers & M Tyre Sizes. 3M Carbon Fibre Trim, 4 Spot Clear Rear Lights, Gaptech+, Cruise, MM Tips, ZHP, Stubby.

User avatar
ph001
Member
Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by ph001 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Thats right, tyre pressure sensor lit as well usually means abs sensor fault. None of the other sensors will disable tyre pressure warning. Still need a code reader on it to see which one it is!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

flattened
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

I have a light show! What does it mean?

Post by flattened » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

This is all great info thanks. I'm in Wrexham North Wales, there is an indy BMW specialist (www.smithsbm.co.uk ) nearby that I might entrust not to rip my tripes out financially with this! :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bbr92 and 18 guests