Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Loose xenon

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BradleyB

Loose xenon

Post by BradleyB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi guys,

I had an issue a little while ago where one of my xenon bulbs would appear to rattle over any tiny bump in the road. Quite irritating as the beam would be all over the place at times.

Anyway this was fixed when I took the M to the stealers for its MOT. They didn’t mention there was an issue or that they fixed it, however it was fixed!

Last night I was fitting some new AE bulbs and I must have touched the xenon, so it’s now rattling again. I’ve had another look and I can move the unit up and down but it is still fixed in place.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so, is this something I can fix?

Thanks! :D
'56 ///MR

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Loose xenon

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm

IS the "whole" reflector assembly moving, or just the igniter on the back of the xenon (square metal box) if the former, the fixing studs may be loose, the latter, then the igniter probably not clipped in properly, it pushes onto the back of the "bulb" and turns clockwise to lock, the top should be level if it's fully home.

Mike

BradleyB

Loose xenon

Post by BradleyB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm IS the "whole" reflector assembly moving, or just the igniter on the back of the xenon (square metal box) if the former, the fixing studs may be loose, the latter, then the igniter probably not clipped in properly, it pushes onto the back of the "bulb" and turns clockwise to lock, the top should be level if it's fully home.

Mike
It’s the whole assembly that’s wobbling. Do you have any idea if I’ll be able to get to the fixing studs from the wheel arch (wheel on)?
'56 ///MR

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Loose xenon

Post by MACK » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:07 pm

BradleyB wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:09 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm IS the "whole" reflector assembly moving, or just the igniter on the back of the xenon (square metal box) if the former, the fixing studs may be loose, the latter, then the igniter probably not clipped in properly, it pushes onto the back of the "bulb" and turns clockwise to lock, the top should be level if it's fully home.

Mike
It’s the whole assembly that’s wobbling. Do you have any idea if I’ll be able to get to the fixing studs from the wheel arch (wheel on)?
Iirc you should be able to get in there with the wheel turned in and the covers off. If it's just a case of tightening up the fixing you should be fine to do it in situ. Anything more fiddly than that and it might be easier to remove from the car and have it flat on a bench.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

BradleyB

Loose xenon

Post by BradleyB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I took the headlight off the car in the end to take a better look. Turns out it was quite simple anyway. The wobbly light assembly just needed to be push back onto the housing. You’ll be welcomed with a reassuring clip if it’s done correctly!
'56 ///MR