Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent ABS/DSC Fault

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I had DSC, ABS and handbrake all in yellow and it was the pump. Had the fault codes as mentioned above.
I had mine repaired at Munich Legends in Sussex. Was easy for me to leave the car with them whilst I was away.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 pm

dhobbs wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:00 pm I had DSC, ABS and handbrake all in yellow and it was the pump. Had the fault codes as mentioned above.
I had mine repaired at Munich Legends in Sussex. Was easy for me to leave the car with them whilst I was away.
Thanks...have amended table.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

harrycodlife

Post by harrycodlife » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:25 am

ph001 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 pm Codes are the surefire way but typically:

1) DSC + ABS = ABS pump.
2) DSC + handbrake (in yellow) = pressure sensor
3) DSC + ABS + handbrake (in red) = wheel speed sensor.
4) DSC + ABS + handbrake (in yellow) + tyre pressure = wheel speed sensor.
5) DSC + ABS + handbrake (in yellow) = steering angle sensor fault / ABS pump.
6) DSC permanently on = steering angle sensor calibration issue / yaw sensor / lat accel sensor.

There are other combinations of faulty sensors which can cause similar lights but the above are the common ones.
Thanks for the info - Very useful - Cheers!

harrycodlife

Post by harrycodlife » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 am

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:34 pm
harrycodlife wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:12 pm Ok Mike - I can drive up one weekend - If you could PM when and where to go and a rough estimate etc - Many Thanks
You seem to have PM's/Email disabled? Drop me an email to [email protected]

Mike
Hi Mike - I have now enabled Email/PM - Not sure how that happened - Cheers.

harrycodlife

Post by harrycodlife » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 am

Teffific job you did there Mike - I learned a lot from watcing how you work - Very interesting - Highly recommended Mike! - Thanks again. :thumbsup:

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:05 pm

I have DSC + handbrake (yellow) + tyre pressure (yellow) and a warning beep as I drive off. ABS is not lit up. Any ideas? Would that still be the wheel speed sensor?

Car had been standing a few weeks and had a dying/dead battery. Replaced the battery, fired the car up and got the above dash telltales. Driven it a few times now and lights still lit.

TIA
'04 Alpina Roadster S Lux
Sapphire Black / Dream Red

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

JamesF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:05 pm I have DSC + handbrake (yellow) + tyre pressure (yellow) and a warning beep as I drive off. ABS is not lit up. Any ideas? Would that still be the wheel speed sensor?

Car had been standing a few weeks and had a dying/dead battery. Replaced the battery, fired the car up and got the above dash telltales. Driven it a few times now and lights still lit.

TIA
You need a code read, to see what is stored.

Mike

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm

That requires a trip to the indy as I don't have a code reader. Was hoping to go armed with some idea of what it could be given there seemed to be a fair bit of experience of these light combinations on here.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 pm

JamesF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm That requires a trip to the indy as I don't have a code reader. Was hoping to go armed with some idea of what it could be given there seemed to be a fair bit of experience of these light combinations on here.
Personally, I wouldn't second guess it. That's how you end up throwing money at a fault and not curing it.

Mike

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't see it as second guessing, I see it as being forearmed when the garage tells me I need to replace another big ticket item on the car when I could have just replaced some sensors. My Z has had a lot of electrical gremlins over the years but the only one that has proved terminal requiring a major fix was the EPS.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

As mentioned on page 1 there are a lot of combinations of these lights so it would be a bit disingenuous to approach a dealer with any presumptions when they will still have to stick a code reader on it anyway. If you want a heads up before going then buy something like the Bcables kit off Ebay or Carly and have a play yourself. Carly is very simple to use.

Saying that, I would expect anything that has a tyre pressure warning lit would be wheel speed sensor related, but the ABS also relies on this sensor so it's a little strange you don't have that on.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm

I wouldn't take the car to the garage and presume to tell them what is wrong, I would obviously let them run diagnostics and read the code(s), however my perspective (from experience) is that given a fault code there can a number of possible solutions ranging from ££ to ££££. They are not in business to save me money so if the opportunity is there to replace a major part rather than just a sensor they will take it and I'll be none the wiser.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:33 pm

JamesF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm I wouldn't take the car to the garage and presume to tell them what is wrong, I would obviously let them run diagnostics and read the code(s), however my perspective (from experience) is that given a fault code there can a number of possible solutions ranging from ££ to ££££. They are not in business to save me money so if the opportunity is there to replace a major part rather than just a sensor they will take it and I'll be none the wiser.
But surely, taking that approach won't solve the problem?

Mike

JamesF

Post by JamesF » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm

I think we're talking at cross purposes. My only reason for posting here was to see if any other owner had seen this combination of lights before and thus could give me an idea of what the solution could be before I take it to the garage and they tell me what they think the required solution should be.

My experience being that technicians are not infallible and sometimes will go straight to an expensive fix to address a symptom rather than investigate the root cause which could be a cheaper, easier fix.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 pm

JamesF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm My experience being that technicians are not infallible and sometimes will go straight to an expensive fix to address a symptom rather than investigate the root cause which could be a cheaper, easier fix.
Fair point, and they are not always honest with what they changed and what needed changing! Whereabouts in the country are you?