Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sump gasket leak?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:54 pm

After parking up in my garage every night for the past 10 weeks of ownership I noticed 5 drops of engine oil on the garage floor yesterday :o . So today I've had her up on the ramps to investigate.
20171016_122600.jpg
20171016_122600.jpg (246.98 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
Had to knock up some ramp extensions though!
20171016_122822.jpg
20171016_122822.jpg (324.26 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
So the bottom of the dump is totally wet with oil on the UK drivers side. Looks dry above the sump flange though.
20171016_122952.jpg
20171016_122952.jpg (163.08 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
The passenger side also shows signs of oil on the sump.

Do you guys reckon this is a sump gasket failure or should I be looking elsewhere? I've never noticed any smell of hot oil while driving. She's a 3004 E85 3.0i & had an oil & filter change on 2nd August btw.
Zedless :(

Mike6

Sump gasket leak?

Post by Mike6 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm

I dont think sump gasket failure is very common. Could be oil filter housing or rocker gasket and then finding its way
down. If I were you I would clean everything up run car and then reinspect to find where it is coming from. From my experience leaks like this never seem to come from the area where the oil is evident.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Sump gasket leak?

Post by GuidoK » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 pm

def. Oil filter housing gasket, a common culprit.
underside of the oilfilter/alternator is also wet.
exhaust side engine mount is still dry; thats usually the side the rocker gasket starts to leak as its the low side.

Its a feature thats part of bmw's underside rust protection system.

for a proper diagnose clean the engine and trace the leak. There are some other components in that area (on/above the oil filter housing) that can leak like a vanos hose (banjo bolts), vanos relais (copper washer), temp/pressure sensors (copper washers etc) but those are far less likely, unless you've had a recent repair on that.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

maxman

Sump gasket leak?

Post by maxman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm

As above,we had the same problem on my sons 130m

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks guys :) . I did wonder about the oil filter housing gasket & I guess it could take a few weeks to leak enough to drop oil on the floor? Reckon I'll pop it back to my local mechanic & get it on his ramps. Should be a lot easier to see. I'll report back in a few days all being well.

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:03 pm

OK, I couldn't wait :P so I've been out & had another look at this. Oil filter housing, vanos banjos & area nearby all look clean as a whistle viewed from above.
However, from underneath the area around the ccv & associated pipework looks wet. Probably not that surprising given what it does. Could it be related to the ccv? No symptoms when running, in fact she drives like a dream. Really hard to get a pic but you may be able to see it just beneath the white label.
20171016_123204.jpg
20171016_123204.jpg (258.4 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
It's a poor pic, sorry about that. I'll try & get a better pic in daylight.

Mike6

Sump gasket leak?

Post by Mike6 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:25 pm

What mileage has car done. Do you get much exhaust smoke

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Sump gasket leak?

Post by GuidoK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm

MAybe clogged ccv AND cracked ccv housing?
Normally when the ccv goes bad it dumps the oil in the engine (blue/whitish smoke)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Sump gasket leak?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Oldgitdave. Having recently replaced my CCV system I can tell you that is definitely what is covered in oil in your photo. Mine was exactly the same. It's such a crappy Heath Robinson affair....not BMWs finest hour ! The lowest right angle union and rubber pipe carrys oil from the CCV separator to the dipstick tube and back into the sump. I would bet that your CCV is shot and/or blocked somewhere and instead of the oil returning to the sump it is leaking out and making a mess. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Mike6 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:25 pm What mileage has car done. Do you get much exhaust smoke
GuidoK wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm MAybe clogged ccv AND cracked ccv housing?
Normally when the ccv goes bad it dumps the oil in the engine (blue/whitish smoke)
Just over 87k miles & no sign of exhaust smoke that I've ever noticed. I do keep an eye on what's vanishing behind me in my rear view mirror :D. Thanks for the heads up though I'll keep eye on that.
patriot66 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm Hi Oldgitdave. Having recently replaced my CCV system I can tell you that is definitely what is covered in oil in your photo. Mine was exactly the same. It's such a crappy Heath Robinson affair....not BMWs finest hour ! The lowest right angle union and rubber pipe carrys oil from the CCV separator to the dipstick tube and back into the sump. I would bet that your CCV is shot and/or blocked somewhere and instead of the oil returning to the sump it is leaking out and making a mess. :thumbsup:
Hi Patriot66. I've been reading up on the CCV & it certainly does look a crappy affair, designed to fail almost :thumbsdown:. Some have said it's a common failure between 80k & 90k miles so at 87k miles it'll have to go on my to do list. Looks a PITA to do though :(

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Sump gasket leak?

Post by patriot66 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm

It's not too bad a job actually Oldgitdave, it's just quite convoluted as you need to remove all the induction system inc. MAF meter/boot, throttle body, inlet manifold and fuel injection rail etc so that you can get good access to the CCV system. My car is May'03 build and has only just passed 70,000m but I was shocked how brittle/hard or cracked most of the CCV pipes/unions had become. Whilst your doing I would also recommend replacing any gaskets and O-rings as these may also have hardened/failed with age. Additionally I also replaced my oil filter housing gasket as it was just starting to weep a bit. All good now :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Patriot66, glad you got yours sorted. Thanks for the tips :thumbsup: . I'll start getting a list of parts together. I'm going to SORN her at the end of the month so it's something I can hopefully sort during the winter months. Be able to get the engine all cleaned up underneath too.

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Well, in the end I decided to let my local Indy do this yesterday at the same time she was in for MOT. Not too bad really, 2 hours labour + genuine BMW parts. It turned out the system was blocked & leaking oil just as patriot66 said above :thumbsup: .
MOT passed btw so all good now, thanks for the info. :thumbsup: :D
Next job is VANOS & anti rattle rings which I'm definitely going to do myself. Leaving work in just a few months so will have plenty of time on my hands. Mind you the 'job list' my missus has given me is just getting bigger :wink:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Sump gasket leak?

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Glad you sorted it - Mine is on my list as that's what it looks like underneath.. Only had the kit on the shelf since Oct, when I bought one for another car and thought I'd do mine too :(

I see a LOT of M54 engined cars that look like this underneath, and owners have never even noticed it due to the covers underneath..

Mike

PS - When you do your VANOS, you don't actually need to to do the anti rattle rings, unless there is a lot of play in the hubs - I've done M54 engines with 200k on them and no play.. The consensus seems to be that the wear only really happens if you are running non OEM cams, which a lot of the USA owners do, and I think those rings were developed specifically for their market.

Mike

oldgitdave

Sump gasket leak?

Post by oldgitdave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 pm Glad you sorted it - Mine is on my list as that's what it looks like underneath.. Only had the kit on the shelf since Oct, when I bought one for another car and thought I'd do mine too :(

I see a LOT of M54 engined cars that look like this underneath, and owners have never even noticed it due to the covers underneath..

Mike

PS - When you do your VANOS, you don't actually need to to do the anti rattle rings, unless there is a lot of play in the hubs - I've done M54 engines with 200k on them and no play.. The consensus seems to be that the wear only really happens if you are running non OEM cams, which a lot of the USA owners do, and I think those rings were developed specifically for their market.

Mike
Thanks Mike :thumbsup: . Yeah, all my covers have gone. I've just bought one off fleabay... they must be there for a reason.
I only bought the kit with the anti rattle rings as I can hear a slight ticking sound at idle. It's by no means bad but I thought it might be those? Figured that if I had the VANOS apart I might as well fit them, or maybe not now reading your reply? Other than the methods advised on besian systems & x8r is there anything else I need to be aware of? I realise I'll need to jack up the engine to slide the unit off the studs on my 3.0, is it just by a few mm?
Will give you a bell in the summer months, fancy a back box & new key :D

Dave