Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cruise control plug

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise control plug

Post by enzed4 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:33 pm

srhutch wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm
enzed4 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 pm
Andrewandjenny wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:23 pm Yep plugged the stalk in and yes it works . No light though or shouldnt there be one?
Post some pics of car soon
Thanks everyone
No lights/indication that CC is on/off unfortunately. Strange oversight.
I don’t understand this.

Foot off pedal on floor, car continuing at constant speed indicated by needle, why do we need another indicator :?
Need - No, you're quite right. It's not hard to figure out if CC is engaged or not. But want - yes, it would be nice to have a small indicator on the dash to show that the CC is in use. Because - reasons... :lol:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise control plug

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm

It would be useful for when the car turns it off, e.g. foot on gas for too long when overtaking.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise control plug

Post by enzed4 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:06 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm It would be useful for when the car turns it off, e.g. foot on gas for too long when overtaking.
Yeah, but as srhutch pointed out, it will be fairly obvious the CC is off when you lift your foot off the gas and the car slows down (or in your example, slows down to a speed less than it was set for, after you've finished overtaking).
It's just the way BMW made it I guess, and it wouldn't stop me retrofitting CC if I can justify it sometime in the future...
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise control plug

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm

It's only obvious once the car goes below the speed I've set, which is less than ideal, especially for a smooth transition. All it means for me is that with cruise on, if I do anything with the gas I turn it off manually and then re-engage.
CC is worth having, it's just a shame one little LED wasn't included on the dash!

Contrast that with something as annoying as Ford's system on the Fiesta - you have to turn cruise on and then set it. That's bonkers but it does have a dash indication!
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

srhutch

Cruise control plug

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:18 pm

TBH I didn’t realise foot on gas for too long knocked Cruise off. Thought it was only brake or clutch the did that.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Cruise control plug

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Brake, Clutch, TC and Accelerator for > x sec (I think 10) all disengage cruise.

So you can give it the beans to nip past and resume, but too long and it goes off. Only time I can really see an indication being useful, unless it also goes off after long periods downhill, unsure of this.