Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery.......again!!!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

After going out to start my zed a few weeks back, the battery was dead. Jump start, drive, next day the same.

So I changed the battery and again, all was well for a while but now I'm back in the same situation. I've taken it to a auto electrician who couldn't find any drain issues.

However, he did say he thinks my new battery is too small. It's a Bosch s3 005 type 027.

I have an ashtray plug in, showing the voltage and at rest it now says 11.2v. On start up it shows 13.9v.

Do you think the battery could be too small and doesn't have the power to start the engine?

This is driving me nuts now as I can't drive the car as even after jump-starting, I can't be sure it will start for the return journey!! :headbang:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Battery.......again!!!

Post by Smartbear » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 am

dans6490 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am After going out to start my zed a few weeks back, the battery was dead. Jump start, drive, next day the same.

So I changed the battery and again, all was well for a while but now I'm back in the same situation. I've taken it to a auto electrician who couldn't find any drain issues.

However, he did say he thinks my new battery is too small. It's a Bosch s3 005 type 027.

I have an ashtray plug in, showing the voltage and at rest it now says 11.2v. On start up it shows 13.9v.

Do you think the battery could be too small and doesn't have the power to start the engine?

This is driving me nuts now as I can't drive the car as even after jump-starting, I can't be sure it will start for the return journey!! :headbang:
Something is dragging your battery down if it's only showing 11.2v at rest, it's not a size issue.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Battery.......again!!!

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 am

If the battery is ok, there is obviously a drain. 027 is a bit on the small side, at 56ah however it should easily start the car, but has less "in reserve" for times of high drain, at the end of the day the 027 is fitted to the ///M... An 096 is normally the one for our cars, with about 68-80ah capacity.

Sounds like you need a better auto elc, rather than a bigger battery...

Mike

dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:04 am

I was hoping I just needed a new battery but a drain does seem more likely. Particularly as it at 13.9v when I stop the car and then 11.2 the next morning.

How do I go about finding a decent auto electrician? Google I'm guessing?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Battery.......again!!!

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am

Just buy a new battery and I bet all your problems will go away. It's not a size issue its probably just very low capacity due to age.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am

ph001 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 am Just buy a new battery and I bet all your problems will go away. It's not a size issue its probably just very low capacity due to age.
This one is a new battery, a few weeks old. Strange thing is, it was ok for a few weeks

Havard

Battery.......again!!!

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am

How often are you driving the car?

If has been sat for a while and then not had an extremely long run you will kill the battery. I would have to check up but I was told that each start takes about 4% of the battery's charge and excessive moving about will not do it any good.

Also, do you have a Ctek charger? I recently replaced the one on the M with a 096 AGM battery. The car didn't go out for a month but took it in and out of the garage a few times to do work and move stuff etc. Last week, I could tell it sounded slightly strained on initial start up. I put the Ctek on for a day and it was fine. I think keeping it fully charged at all times is the way to go as running them up and down is a killer.

H.
ImageImage

rally-chris

Battery.......again!!!

Post by rally-chris » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am

Do you have any obvious aftermarket electrical stuff fitted to your Zed, like aftermarket head unit or bluetooth/music kit? A common problem is having the permanent and ignition switched +12v feeds the wrong way around so the accessory continues to be powered up when the car is supposed to be off and this drains the battery. I once had a Parrot kit in a Mini with the adaptor lead incorrectly configured and it would kill the battery in 2-3 days.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 am

Havard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:23 am How often are you driving the car?

If has been sat for a while and then not had an extremely long run you will kill the battery. I would have to check up but I was told that each start takes about 4% of the battery's charge and excessive moving about will not do it any good.

Also, do you have a Ctek charger? I recently replaced the one on the M with a 096 AGM battery. The car didn't go out for a month but took it in and out of the garage a few times to do work and move stuff etc. Last week, I could tell it sounded slightly strained on initial start up. I put the Ctek on for a day and it was fine. I think keeping it fully charged at all times is the way to go as running them up and down is a killer.

H.
It doesn't get much use so it could be this, I'm going to get a charger and give that a go. :thumbsup:

dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 am

rally-chris wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:30 am Do you have any obvious aftermarket electrical stuff fitted to your Zed, like aftermarket head unit or bluetooth/music kit? A common problem is having the permanent and ignition switched +12v feeds the wrong way around so the accessory continues to be powered up when the car is supposed to be off and this drains the battery. I once had a Parrot kit in a Mini with the adaptor lead incorrectly configured and it would kill the battery in 2-3 days.

Chris
It has a gaptech type module fitted, so it could be that? Also has a cd changer that did work when I bought the car back in May but now doesn't.

rally-chris

Battery.......again!!!

Post by rally-chris » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am

Any connection between the time the CD changer stopped working and the Gaptech was fitted, or between either event and the battery drain issue starting? If so I would look at disconnecting the module temporarily to see if the problem goes away.

Chris

dans6490

Battery.......again!!!

Post by dans6490 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:21 am

rally-chris wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:16 am Any connection between the time the CD changer stopped working and the Gaptech was fitted, or between either event and the battery drain issue starting? If so I would look at disconnecting the module temporarily to see if the problem goes away.

Chris
Both were already fitted when I bought the car and haven't been touched. The battery was fully charged at the auto electrician a few weeks back and all was fine for a while so I'm wondering if it could be the low use and short journeys that have done it.

I might take the cd changer out at the weekend as it's not working anyway and I don't use cds also!!!

Looking at the CTEK, they seem quite expensive. Would a normal battery charger do the job just as well?

rally-chris

Battery.......again!!!

Post by rally-chris » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am

Good idea to isolate the CD changer if it is not working - I'm pretty sure that previous cars I've had maintained power to the changer even if the ignition was off, to allow the cartridge to be ejected. If there is an internal fault in the CD changer then it's possible it is causing your battery drain issue.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Battery.......again!!!

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:38 am

CTEK MXS 5.0. I wouldn't even consider anything else. Where abouts in the country are you?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

mjennings23

Battery.......again!!!

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 am

Gaptech modules do tap a permanent live from the 12v socket, hence why they’re able to work via the remote. Maybe try unhooking it for a few days and see? I doubt it will be that but it’s simple to check.