Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Timing chain issue ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am

Bmw changed the design significantly on the N52 and it doesn't generally share any of the DISA problems found on the earlier M54. I think it's unlikely you will find any issues there but if you want to check, everything you need is here.. viewtopic.php?t=36349

There is though I believe a second DISA valve on the N52 but it's a bit of a bitch to get to (intake manifold off job). See this thread... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99871
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by MACK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 pm

At the end of the day OP you sold the car in good faith unaware of whatever the issue is and I assume gave the buyer the opportunity to test if for themselves. It's unfortunate but also not your fault. Has the new owner made any demands regarding the fault? Not they have a leg to stand on even if they have.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Ewazix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Whilst I applaud your efforts to stand by the car, as long as you in no way misrepresented it I think you overstepping your responsibilities and making a rod for your own back. It's an older used car and faults developing have to be expected, a private deal was cheaper for the buyer, they can't expect the protection and come-back of buying from a dealer.

You have shown more interest than was necessary, it's clearly not a major fault so I'd politely stand down before some shady mechanic starts 'finding' things to fix.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Cooky3

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Cooky3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi all. I am the new owner of said car. Not an ideal first post this but that’s life as they say. James and I have built some rapport over a few weeks leading to the purchase. The fault that has been identified was on a very short trip home 5-6 miles at normal road speeds. I am not expecting anything from James or demanding anything. No dodgy mechanic reports, refunds, price reductions etc. I was diligent with the purchase but am no technician and as with any private sale was aware of my rights - none! No demands will be made. Not my style and certainly no bricks through his window ha ha. Simply given our locality, his knowledge and the friends he has on this forum and being a good soul he is trying, as am I to establish what it might be.

If anyone can assist with a diagnosis, it would be greatly appreciated. Bottom line is James and I are simply pooling our resources to conclude an unfortunate and poorly timed issue. Sh1t happens as they say.

Anyway, hope to get to know a few of you on here. Particularly as I have the technical and mechanical knowhow of a spoon!

Ps - no animosity here from me. Just been lurking in the background and thought i’d clear up the issue of me being a potential scallywag
I ain't fallin for no banana in my tail-pipe!
Jester's dead!

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Whereabouts in UK are ?

I will gladly diag the prob ...

Cooky3

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Cooky3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi there Z4M. Thanks for your note. We are both in Peterborough... you?
Jester's dead!

jnwright71

Timing chain issue ?

Post by jnwright71 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback thus far and to Justin for his post.

The DISA on the N52 is a slightly better deign than earlier engines in that there is no metal pin that can work lose and drop into the engine - positive development from BMW :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the new style DISA is still prone to wear as the plastic flap is an interference fit onto a metal shaft, so doesn't really fail (as in falls apart), but the wear can cause the flap to vibrate on the shaft and 'rattle' :headbang: Also, there have been cases where the shaft drops allowing the flap to come loose and even come off the shaft completely. No evidence of the loose flap then being ingested though.

I am hoping to help Justin get this diagnosed over the coming days, so that it can be fixed and he can start properly enjoying ownership. Hopefully a local master tech will be looking at it over the weekend to confirm the problem. However, any further thoughts / advice from you very knowledgeable folks would be welcome as the master tech may not be available.

Z4M-2006, thanks for the offer. I notice you are in High Peak, so a bit of a trek. However, I have a video of the noise, but cant work out how to upload. If OK, please can you PM me your e-mail address and I will send a link to you.

Cheers, James
2006 Z4 2.5si roadster - Silvergrey, oregon peal grey leather, cruise, BT

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Z4M-2006 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Im a decent ride from Peterborough im afraid....

About 2.5hrs ..

Confused®

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Confused® » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Love this post, fair play to you both, hope you find a swift and easy fix :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Host the video on YouTube and then link to it on here. Does it sound at all like the rattle in that second thread I referred you to?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Ewazix » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Big hand to the both of you, a refreshingly positive story. Good luck with the fix :friends:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

maxman

Timing chain issue ?

Post by maxman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Restores your faith in people to sort things out amicably . :thumbsup:

Cooky3

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Cooky3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Cheers all for the support here. Life's too short and all that.

Hi PH001. To answer your question. Not really like the second rattle. From cold the engine sounds totally normal. Even when the engine initially reaches operating temperature there is only a slight hint of the noise when the revs rise. But when properly warmed, gauge still in the middle of course, there is no noise at idle, but a hideous one when you apply the revs, say from 2000-2500?

How can that be? Not sure how to post the vid but will have a look.

I bought a six cylinder engine for the sound. But this noise is somewhat spoiling my early love affair... :headbang:
Jester's dead!

Cooky3

Timing chain issue ?

Post by Cooky3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Forgot to say. The car feels tight and the performance and running of the car is unchanged when the noise kicks in.... Heat related???
Jester's dead!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Timing chain issue ?

Post by MACK » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Hopefully it will turn out to be cheap and simple to fix
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)