Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Summer purchase - hides the winter issues....

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Bought my second Z in June at the peak of the summer.
Just tried the rear window heater and although the light comes on, nothing seems to be happening at the back.

Have run a quick search, but can't see anything much. Any thoughts?

TIA! :(
2nd Z4, Auction find, 2007 3.0si Sport, 45k, Silver Grey, 224 Alloys. Retro Cruise :thumbsup:
Previous: 2003, 2.5i Sport, Sterling Grey (2006-2010)

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:34 pm

probably the wires going to the HRW are chafed or have become disconnected, have you had a look?
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:44 pm

I've had a look, but can't see anything obvious. Is there a known point for wearing? The wire disappears behind that material, so it's hard to get a good look.
2nd Z4, Auction find, 2007 3.0si Sport, 45k, Silver Grey, 224 Alloys. Retro Cruise :thumbsup:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Start simple, make sure transport mode has not kicked in when a battery was changed or went flat, this shuts down non essentials like the rear screen and air-con. The fix requires re-coding.

If it's not transport mode then get a basic multimeter or 12v current tester / bulb and see if current is getting to the positive tab or elements, these will only be live with engine ignition on. If you have power there then there is probably a break in the elements.

If there is no power check the relevant fuses behind the glove box (20 & 25 according to Adamski's previous post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38888 ).

If those are good there is also a relay to check, should be marked K13 per the realoem pics. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=61_4109
Remove it and check for activation (click) when terminals 1 and 2 are energised with a 12v source, and that you have continuity using a multimeter on terminals 5 and 3 (set to ohms then meter should beep)

If that's good then it may be disconnected wire (roof out sometime maybe?) or loom damage.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:22 am

Ok thanks- very detailed, really appreciate it!
I have no idea about Transport mode as I bought it from auction and have no history, but the A/C works.
Looks like I'll need to get some tools out and someone who knows about electrics.
Cheers!

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:37 am

HyperGrade wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm Hi Guys,
Just tried the rear window heater and although the light comes on, nothing seems to be happening at the back.
Did you get this sorted?

Similar story - we bought the car in summer and now discovered HRW doesn't work at all.
- Switch illuminates
- Not transport mode, as everything else works correctly
- Both fuses OK
- Continuity of circuit checked at B pillar, so appears no issues to window elements or wiring to/from window.
- But... relay was missing :? New relay from dealer fitted - makes no difference.

Any ideas?
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

HyperGrade

Post by HyperGrade » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Sidewaze Samm wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:37 am
HyperGrade wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm Hi Guys,
Did you get this sorted?

Similar story - we bought the car in summer and now discovered HRW doesn't work at all.
- Switch illuminates
- Not transport mode, as everything else works correctly
- Both fuses OK
- Continuity of circuit checked at B pillar, so appears no issues to window elements or wiring to/from window.
- But... relay was missing :? New relay from dealer fitted - makes no difference.

Any ideas?
Sorry, it just cleared itself (no pun intended)
Not sure how it can go from dead to working without intervention, but it’s worked fine ever since. Best of luck!