Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

handbrake ratchet replacement/repair

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
taffy bhoy

Post by taffy bhoy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 pm

ratchet mechanism is missing a few teeth in the area that a normal handbrake would 'grab'

whats the options for sorting this? from what i understand you can only remove it from underneath by dropping the exhaust/prop/heatshield, but cant find much about it on the internet, is that correct?

read about people cutting new teeth, welding onto it and recutting, and replacing with new/second hand.

would rather replace with new if we have to go to all that effort to get at it but where do you buy new other than bmw?

jack07

Post by jack07 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:18 pm

The only difficult part is removing the exhaust from the front joint.The original fixings are inconel and a nightmare to drill out,even with decent quality cobalt bits,but you only have to do this once :D .Nothing wrong with an unworn used part for
r the replacement lever assy,unless you like to reward the manufacturer with even more profit for their poor quality item?These are great cars but riddled with odd,poor quality snags and that ratchet is a PIA! Good luck with the drilling.Go slow,use coolant and withdraw frequently before any heat can develop.
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

Jalfrezi

Post by Jalfrezi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Had mine changed out this month. Yes, it means the exhaust is off, prop shaft and heat shield. And as jack07 says the manifold-exhaust fasteners were a pig (apparently). I got my Indy to do mine, they fitted bmw studs, nuts and gaskets from the M I believe, and cost a small fortune.

2003 E85 3.0i, 144000 miles and counting...