Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EPS Fault -motor changed more problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Ds1984

Post by Ds1984 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:34 am

Hi guys.
So at the moment I'm battling EPS problem.
Symptoms obviously steering wheel with exclamation mark on dash and inactive sport button.
Steering is very heavy straight from the start not sticky

Now strange thing is that when weather gets warmer and it's a sunny day power steering tend to go back to normal and sport button starts to work and after quick engine restart dash light also goes way. That waking up happens not earlier than after 20 mile run in that given sunny day. And it goes in stages from very heavy to sticky heavy and then goes to a lovely super light normal state with no sticking or anything. Yet if I leave car standing with engine off for few hours it still needs few miles run to come back to life.

Now. Bit of history which I am not able to allocate the moment when this Eps kicked in.
First moment was she was diagnosed with cracked spring so I got her nice brand new set of supersport lowering springs which were put on then I've found out front tyres were put back to front (directional tyres) so I swapped them left it right and right to left. Few days later I drove back home from other town something like 20 miles away and she developed strong rattle/shaky at back end. Managed to get home and investigated the problem and found out that both back wheels got loose with all bolts slackened off and 2 bolts snapped off. I got them all thrown out snapped bolts removed from hub and brand new bolts put on. No problem with that ever since but at this moment eps fault came up.

Things I've done /not done
I didn't do wheel geometry since new springs
There is no communication with steering column module
Tested fuses ok
Tested battery ok
Tested power with multimeter coming up to powersteering motor all ok yet no communication with diagnostics (Carly and autocom)

Fault appeared straight away with no slow failing sticking or blocking. Went to car one day and steering was heavy. What gets me if module was faulty why she is waking up and works for time car being in use. I don't know if this can be signed to slipring or torque sensor.

What yous guys think?
Please help any checks or things I can do before I flip my wallet inside out. .

Thanks
DANIEL
Last edited by Ds1984 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ds1984

EPS Fault -long story and weird uncommon example

Post by Ds1984 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 am

And she's 2003 2.5i

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am

From what I understand from my research when I had my own EPS issues, if there's no communication from the module then it's likely a bad motor rather than an issue with the electrics in the column. Now, don't quote me on that, I may well be wrong as I say it was a different issue to myself.

Ds1984

Post by Ds1984 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:25 am

I am tempted to swap front wheels back as they were so reverse the process of directional tyres and put them as they originally were. Saying that I'm thinking of tpms and wheel recognition. I might be totally wrong with this but what are the chances of her recognising her left and right wheel???? Since I've swapped wheel's from left to right and vice versa that eps problem seem to be persistent. I'll do that and will post my results.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:31 am

I might have a spare steering motor with worm drive. I have the rack as well if you want to try that? My car is a 2003 3.0 with 70k millage. I had sticky steering witch isn't caused by either part? But have swapped over to hydraulic. PM me if you want them.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 am

It won't know the difference from one wheel to the next. I think the TPS works by using the abs ring and sensor. So the wheel makes no difference.
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 am

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 am It won't know the difference from one wheel to the next. I think the TPS works by using the abs ring and sensor. So the wheel makes no difference.
Matt, correct for U.K. Cars, but USA ones use a different system, so could depend where the OP is based.

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 am

srhutch wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 am
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 am It won't know the difference from one wheel to the next. I think the TPS works by using the abs ring and sensor. So the wheel makes no difference.
Matt, correct for U.K. Cars, but USA ones use a different system, so could depend where the OP is based.
Good knowlage Steve.
I always just assume that people on hear are UK!! Not that iknew there was a differance. :rofl:

Ds1984

Post by Ds1984 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm

So quick update. I've installed Mats eps motor and I had column out of the car. Now after all been assembled fault on dash is gone and and motor works nice but there is a lots of stickiness now and when driving straight my wheel is off by roughly 45deg to the left. Did I done something wrong when sliding column into rack because steering wheel goes only way in onto column shaft so I couldn't go wrong on that one.... or did I???? I spoke to mechanic and he advice to go and do wheel alignment but I wish to know more possible causes instead of going and throwing cash everywhere bot not into right thing... please give me some more advice guys.
Last edited by Ds1984 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ds1984

EPS Fault -long story and more problems.

Post by Ds1984 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Ds1984 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:34 am Hi guys.
So at the moment I'm battling EPS problem.
Symptoms obviously steering wheel with exclamation mark on dash and inactive sport button.
Steering is very heavy straight from the start not sticky

Now strange thing is that when weather gets warmer and it's a sunny day power steering tend to go back to normal and sport button starts to work and after quick engine restart dash light also goes way. That waking up happens not earlier than after 20 mile run in that given sunny day. And it goes in stages from very heavy to sticky heavy and then goes to a lovely super light normal state with no sticking or anything. Yet if I leave car standing with engine off for few hours it still needs few miles run to come back to life.

Now. Bit of history which I am not able to allocate the moment when this Eps kicked in.
First moment was she was diagnosed with cracked spring so I got her nice brand new set of supersport lowering springs which were put on then I've found out front tyres were put back to front (directional tyres) so I swapped them left it right and right to left. Few days later I drove back home from other town something like 20 miles away and she developed strong rattle/shaky at back end. Managed to get home and investigated the problem and found out that both back wheels got loose with all bolts slackened off and 2 bolts snapped off. I got them all thrown out snapped bolts removed from hub and brand new bolts put on. No problem with that ever since but at this moment eps fault came up.

Things I've done /not done
I didn't do wheel geometry since new springs
There is no communication with steering column module
Tested fuses ok
Tested battery ok
Tested power with multimeter coming up to powersteering motor all ok yet no communication with diagnostics (Carly and autocom)

Fault appeared straight away with no slow failing sticking or blocking. Went to car one day and steering was heavy. What gets me if module was faulty why she is waking up and works for time car being in use. I don't know if this can be signed to slipring or torque sensor.

What yous guys think?
Please help any checks or things I can do before I flip my wallet inside out. .

Thanks
DANIEL

Ds1984

Post by Ds1984 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:30 am

Worth to mention before repair I've attempted and as I've mention before when my eps motor managed to wake up steering was a dream with no sticking now after repair wheel tend to stay whet I leave it means if I'm driving and turn either left or right steering tends to stay (not coming back to middle position) and it's notch. What have I done wrong and did I tightened something too much???

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:54 am

I have sent you a few links.
But if you changed the rack you will need it re aligning as you can’t be sure you have done the track rods up right. So for the steering wheel not being straight. That should solve that.

As for it being sticky you may need to rotate the motor on the mounting slots.