Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing rear drop link

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
charlie8

Replacing rear drop link

Post by charlie8 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 pm

After changing a rear spring, noticed a very annoying knocking from the rear as I traveled around urban roads, lived with it for while then took a look. Broken rear drop link, completely sheared, so grinding on every bump. I actually think I did this when levering the rear hub down when popping in the spring in, before asking the wife to stand on it as I recall a crack sound, and just assumed the lever had slipped down the caliper. Either way it must have been very weak

As others have said its a pain to get the these off, drilling out the rubber and pulling out chunks with long nose pliers bit by bit and then levering a rod against the wishbone to finally pop it off.

New part for £12, but then to fit the new on. As others warned me, using fairly liquid give a bit of leg up, but I also soaked in boiling water before starting in a little pot, quickly moved to ARB, and then major leverage to pop it on at speed before it cooled, then using a small spanner to lever front and back at the same time, slowly slid up the bar - very slowly

Anyway , all good now - no knocking, in fact the sound of it suggested something a lot worse than the £12 and 1 hr of upside down, tight space force to fix - back to smooth ride again .... :driving:
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear