Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smell from engine bay, rocker cover or manifold?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
donaldosaurus

Post by donaldosaurus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 am

Hi

I tried searches but failed. As soon as I have been for a drive the smell is notable but I'm not sure if it is exhaust gasses or small oil drop from rocker cover burning. Nothing noticeable but then again not easy to see or access.

Any pointers gratefully received.
The Z with the extra button

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:17 am

Check the exhaust bolts at the joint these corrode and cause the joint seal to leak gases ,search on here lots of info and fixes another common zed problem
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Commonly the cam cover gasket fails and drips oil onto the exhaust manifold. When the engine is cold run your fingers along/around the gasket line. The oil usually gathers on the manifold side especially at the rear corner near the bulkhead. Also/alternatively the oil filter housing gasket can fail. I replaced both myself recently on my M54 and also the full CCV system. Cam cover gasket is a straight forward job but the oil filter housing gasket is a little more complicated as the housing itself is also part of the alternator mounting bracket ! You will have to remove the alternator as part of this job which isn't difficult but makes the job a bit more time consuming. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

donaldosaurus

Post by donaldosaurus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am

Many thanks for the advice. Looks indeed like the rocker cover gasket.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:50 pm

donaldosaurus wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am Many thanks for the advice. Looks indeed like the rocker cover gasket.
No problem. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

donaldosaurus

Post by donaldosaurus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Rocker cover gasket was brittle and hard. Replaced so I appreciate the help to go in the right direction