Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tools for shock replacement - grrr!

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Just gone to halfords and bought two sockets to undo the top bolt of my front shocks.
I got an injector and a oxygen sensor socket (21 and 22mm).
Bloody things won't go in the top mounts.
I can either grind away at my own sockets to get two flats for a spanner or spend the morning going round the shops to get spark plug sockets.

What has everyone else used?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm

I used a impact gun. Where are you based?

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 pm

synthedup wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm I used a impact gun. Where are you based?
Brighton.
It's the top bolt I need to undo. I need to keep the shaft still while I undo the bolt. A friend helped me replace front springs with an impact driver once and the shocks leaked afterwards.
I've been putting plusgas on the pinch bolt all week just to be on the safe side.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

synthedup wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm I used a impact gun. Where are you based?
I should say thanks for the offer. :thumbsup:

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm

dhobbs wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm in Horsham and I have an impact gun, I also have the tools if you are worried about using an impact gun

Did this very job on my //M last year, undid the old with the gun, did up the new with hand tools.

You shouldn't be using a socket if you want to do it by hand, use a swan neck spanner and whatever fitting is in the top of the shock.
Last edited by VRSteve on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:58 pm

My swan neck spanner wasn't deep enough so I bought a set of box spanners from Toolstation (which I held with Stilsons) and used extensions on my 1/4" sockets to hold the shaft. In the end I ran out of hands and couldn't use a torque wrench anyway so I resorted to an impact driver.

I'd really like to know what happened to my O2 sensor socket!
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Incidently OP, the M is a 24mm, sure you have bought the right size???
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 pm

VRSteve wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 pm Incidently OP, the M is a 24mm, sure you have bought the right size???
Yeah, I measured both old and new with existing sockets. Old is 21, new (bilstein) is 22. It's just the outer diameter doesn't fit in the top mount recess. The M has different shocks, I assume more beefy!

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 pm

VRSteve wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:28 pm
dhobbs wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm in Horsham and I have an impact gun, I also have the tools if you are worried about using an impact gun

Did this very job on my //M last year, undid the old with the gun, did up the new with hand tools.

You shouldn't be using a socket if you want to do it by hand, use a swan neck spanner and whatever fitting is in the top of the shock.
I did the rears with a spanner but the nuts were all exposed. I also have studied YouTube videos to prepare myself and they used a socket with an Allen key. They also made it look simple.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 am

I use a thin walled tubular box spanner for this; only for tightening. For loosening it I use an impact.

Of course I need to get a complete socket in there because I have stiffness adjustable coilovers (they have a hex stud instead of allen hex insert), but before I had coilovers I used a T handle allen key or an allen bit:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Dunno why you guys make it so hard, just buy a swan neck!!!

I'd post an image of mine, but don't have anywhere to host it!!
Last edited by VRSteve on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:08 pm

I've gone and bought a 21mm spark plug socket and that's fine. I also got a tap socket (not sure about the quality though) but it's similar to Guidok's one above.
Given up for this weekend and been finishing off my garden decking!
Oh, I looked at a swan neck spanner and it was too big to fit in the top mount. Maybe I'll look at some more.

VRSteve

Post by VRSteve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm

If you can get the shocks off the car, and bring them up then I'll happily have a go at them for you.

If you are replacing the shocks why won't you use an impact gun on them??
SOLD

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:10 pm

I chopped up one of my sockets, only took about 20 mins with a dremel

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 pm

VRSteve wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm If you can get the shocks off the car, and bring them up then I'll happily have a go at them for you.

If you are replacing the shocks why won't you use an impact gun on them??
I suppose I'm being a bit cautious, it my daily drive so if I bugger it up then I'll have to borrow the missus's car (and that's boring).
I think I have everything now, apart from the time. I'm going to give it a go next Friday.
Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.