Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor- definitive list and prices

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
OldGreyZed

Post by OldGreyZed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am

Hi ladies and gents

Just bought a sterling grey 3.0i and I love it! The garage I bought it from installed a new motor in the car but I want to get it relocated to prevent further issues

I've done a lot of research on here and the people who do roof motor replacement and relocation

However there appears to be some grey areas.

I'm based in Southampton and the cost of driving up north to see Durham Dave, Andy fanshawe or Ducklakeview seems worth it as they seem to be able to sort my roof motor for around the 80 pounds figure

I actually got recommended by someone to go to a member called bowser? However I cannot find a definite cost for the relocation and repair? Most threads just state the PM?

In interest of fairness would it be worth making a sticky thread showing all people who offer this service and their costs in black and white to make it easier for people like myself to see before exchanging messages as I am a new member I don't think I can pm users?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am

Seems legit reasoning,

Plus i would be interested to see who is my nearest as I am living in Berkshire and will need this done.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

Ok, I'll bite :)

I have done a few ;) for forum members, and a lot more for traders etc. Not had one that I've not been able to get back to full working order, in about an hour. For forum members, I charge £80 for a relocate, assuming the motor is working. If it's not, then I can strip and refurb it whilst you wait for an additional £20, far less than the £159 or so Ebay sellers want for a used motor.

I know what fails inside the motors, and I can repair them. I also carry spare roof modules, pumps and replacement hoses. The hoses I carry are stainless braided, with stainless fittings on each end, so should last the life of the car. BMW want £140'ish plus VAT per hose, they are plastic, fragile and on back order, they also want to charge you for removing the roof to replace 3 of the 4 hoses!

I charge a lot less and I can remove and replace any of the hoses without taking the roof off, still in the same timeframe. I also carry spare motors and pumps, but as stated, have never had to replace a motor.

Yes, I may be a bit of a drive from you Jeremy, but I WILL get it working in the one visit. I can also offer some extras like coding the roof to go down AND up from the key, multiple vehicle options can also be enabled at the same time (search the forum for a list of what's available) and a few other services :)

If you want to get in touch, my email is [email protected] a few comments from satisfied members are in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94565&hilit=roof+motor

And who can forget the epic - Cambridge Roof Motor Day, I was aching for a few days after that one! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96409

I am located 5 mins from J7 of the M62 in WA9, St Helens.

Mike
Last edited by Ducklakeview on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldGreyZed

Post by OldGreyZed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am

Wow Thanks for the swift reply Mike!

Sounds ideal I am very tempted just wondering if the same service can be had any nearer to me? I'll await any southern members chiming in before making a descision hopefully they will see this message :thumbsup:

volumex65

Post by volumex65 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 am

I can vouch for DLV, drove up from Southampton and back - roof motor fixed and relocated plus air con regassed in less than hour n half - well worth the trip :thumbsup:
You don`t need a parachute to skydive - you only need one to do it for a second time :exitright:

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:36 am

volumex65 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 am I can vouch for DLV, drove up from Southampton and back - roof motor fixed and relocated plus air con regassed in less than hour n half - well worth the trip :thumbsup:

+ 1 re DLV recommend highly :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Ok, now me !

I'm in Bristol and generally charge £125. (I used to charge more, but I've got quicker!)
I estimate the job will take me approx 3 hours all in, whereas DLV (Mike) can do it his way a lot faster in approx 20 minutes

However, I do things slightly differently to DLV having watched him in action at Zedfest. I will partially take the roof out rather than work blindly, cutting near the lines which also gives me the opportunity to visually inspect and clean/flush the drains. I also drill just 1x 20mm hole discreetly in the parcel shelf bracket for the lines to pass into the boot, rather than take a large section out. I also buy genuine Z4 Carpet so the false boot panel matches perfectly. (I've not seen anyone else in action, to be fair to Mike)

I too carry spare Motors, Pumps, lines and fluid, that has required investment, so that I can hopefully offer a one stop shop and send people away happy with a working roof. I have an empty, well lit double garage, so I do it in comfort without being dependent on good weather. (Myself or my wife have also run people to the local shopping Mall in our Daily Car to kill few hours whilst the work is carried out and collected them when finished, rather than leave people hanging about. allowing those who travel to make a day of it)

At the end of the day, all us guys offering this service are helping out members who 2-3 years ago had no choice but to part with £700-£800 only for BMW to put the motor back in the same place. I do it purely to fund my Zed hobby and keep the wife off my back for spending our domestic funds on the car, but either way I have to justify the risks involved working with somebody's pride & joy for a couple of quid and not spending the weekend time with the family ...and spending the evening in the bath soaking my back afterwards !

I enjoy doing them and also having the opportunity to meet other Zed owners and chat. I don't want to do one every day but a few on weekends here and there are ideal for me, so I'm happy to help anyone in my area, but would advise people to go to whoever is nearest, (if that is most practical and suits them) as it spreads the work out evenly and also means you can come back later if there's any issues.

I believe the members offering the service are:-
DuckLakeView (St Helens, Merseyside)
Number5 (Bristol)
DietCokeMan (Bucks) Brian also does E89 roof issues
Bowser (Hants)
Tug (Leicestershire?)
Dave (in Durham) but not a Forum member.

Apologies If I've missed anyone - I'll add you in if I have.
Last edited by Number5 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Alan pull me from that list, not my forte, wish it was
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:10 pm

markplant wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 pm Alan pull me from that list, not my forte, wish it was
Done Mark, sorry - someone told me this morning that you were.
Apologies !

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:14 pm

I don't do roof's but I do fit Cruise control :lol:

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Carmad84 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 am Seems legit reasoning,

Plus i would be interested to see who is my nearest as I am living in Berkshire and will need this done.
Bowser134 is near Camberley on M3
Pm him if you want a quote .many of us in the South have used his expert services and he is expert
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm

wegras wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Pm him if you want a quote .many of us in the South have used his expert services and he is expert
Thanks, that is only down the road from my work as well.

wegras

Post by wegras » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Carmad84 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:17 pm
wegras wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks, that is only down the road from my work as well.
If you PM him mention there is a another member unable to pm on this thread and he will pm out to make contact
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Mike (DLV) did my roof motor in a really short time. He also has a whole range of skill sets. Read his posts to see all the possibilities. He is a really talented guy. I have also had work done on my steering by Andy Fanshawe who is based in Chesterfield. Another very talented forum member? He has a wide range of skills and lots of experience, having re-built cars since he was a teenager. I can recommend both of them without any reservation.

OldGreyZed

Post by OldGreyZed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Thankd for the helpful replies gents.

Thanks number 5 that's good to know I'll certainly have a think about it

Wegras that was my point entirely, I can't understand why I have to Pm someone for a quote when it's in black and white by Mike and Number 5 above? Is it a secret? Should it not be available for people to see as he or she is nearest to me