Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

couple of minor issues - any advice welcome :)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Maranello

Post by Maranello » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi all, I currently have two issues with my Z4 that i would like to fix ASAP but i don't know who to ask. If i take it to BMW i think i will get ripped off.... i really want someone that i can trust with experience who will know what is going on with it hopefully.

First issue: The engine management light is always on although i notice no difference in its performance. A friendly mechanic has tried to fault code it and it was related to compression and whenever he resets the code it comes back on after a few drives.

Second issue: My hood has stopped working. It was quite sluggish over the summer but now there is no engagement from when i press the button - not even a noise as though its trying to work. Could this be the motor or the cabling, is it common? Do you know anyone that could help and what sort of prices i might face?

Many thanks, Gina
Beautiful Stirling grey 3.0ltr beast!

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi and welcome,firstly if you tell the good folks on here where you are based you will get a better response from someone close who may be able to help
There is a few members on here who can sort your roof for a very decent rate,ducklakeview and bowser ar a couple,
If you post up the exact codes the management light threw up someone will give you a more detailed diagnosis of the problem.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Maranello wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:10 pm Hi all, I currently have two issues with my Z4 that i would like to fix ASAP but i don't know who to ask. If i take it to BMW i think i will get ripped off.... i really want someone that i can trust with experience who will know what is going on with it hopefully.

First issue: The engine management light is always on although i notice no difference in its performance. A friendly mechanic has tried to fault code it and it was related to compression and whenever he resets the code it comes back on after a few drives.

Second issue: My hood has stopped working. It was quite sluggish over the summer but now there is no engagement from when i press the button - not even a noise as though its trying to work. Could this be the motor or the cabling, is it common? Do you know anyone that could help and what sort of prices i might face?

Many thanks, Gina
Gina, I can fix the hood for you, in about 45 mins without replacing parts. Cost to forum members is £80.

I can also properly read the code and find out what is causing the engine management light. If I can't fix it there and then, at least I should be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

My email address is [email protected]

Mike

Maranello

Post by Maranello » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 am

Thanks Mike have emailed you.

I'm near Brighton and unfortunately I can't remember what the code was when it was last read, the mechanic said it was indicating something about compression from what I can remember....
Beautiful Stirling grey 3.0ltr beast!

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 am

Hi Maranello,

You also have Bowser in Hampshire you will sort your roof , who may be a little nearer for you, if you dont want to travel as far.

Post by sticky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:16 am

I think Kis does roofs, Horley

Wrong one, its Marius,,, Crawley area

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am

Check your air intake boot- the rubber pipe from air box to engine block- for small splits.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!