Brake pipes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
murphybarnes

Brake pipes

Post by murphybarnes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm

So the wife's 2005 2.0 failed its MOT today. I don't have all the info but apparently the brake pipes are all shot. Bit surprised to have gone from a clean MOT twelve months ago to terminal pipes on a car that doesn't to that many miles.
Anyway, the garage has quoted us £600. Four hours labour at around £60 per hour and the rest for parts. Seems high to me. Is this around average?

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Brake pipes

Post by Machine monkey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Seems a bit steep and suspicious to me!! For the sake of £35 or so I would be inclined to get another mot! Or get under and have a look!
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Brake pipes

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Potentially BS, there is not a lot of brake pipe visible and most of the time its surface corrosion.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

murphybarnes

Brake pipes

Post by murphybarnes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Have used them before with no issues but surely replacing all the pipework and even the hoses too Wouldn't come to this?

Stuartt

Brake pipes

Post by Stuartt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:18 pm

My MOT guy "pointed out" corrosion on my brake pipes last year and suggested I give them a rub over with some emery cloth and a small wire brush the use some spray grease over the pipes, took me about an hour and a tenner for the grease and wire brush.
Gave them a quick spray over again last week before this years MOT and bobs your uncle, no "suggestions" this year.

Definitely worth a second opinion IMO seems a bit suspicious.

Stuart
04 3.0i SE Manual Roadster in Sterling Grey, Pro satnav, Xenons, MM Tips, Gaptech RCH+, LED side lights, stubby, multifunction steering wheel,AUX in Cruise Control, Clear Third Stop Lamp, CDV delete, Cup holders, ZHP Aero boot spoiler Aero side skirts

MefiEcosse

Brake pipes

Post by MefiEcosse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Think I'd want new pipes, hoses, discs and pads fitted for £600.

Z4 2.5i Titanium Silver 2003 - Stormworks V1 - Whippy