Front end feels very squirmy at speed.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JimBob78

Postby JimBob78 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 am

Have you got the same tyres on the back? The dsc is incredibly sensitive to different tread patterns, if they're are different then it could throwing thr sensors out, try swtching it off completely to see if things improve.

Sgr74

Postby Sgr74 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 am

JimBob78 wrote:Have you got the same tyres on the back? The dsc is incredibly sensitive to different tread patterns, if they're are different then it could throwing thr sensors out, try swtching it off completely to see if things improve.

Zz5's all round. Putting it in sport mode helps a bit.

DashBedrock

Postby DashBedrock » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 pm

I had this exact same issue after changing from run flats to Michelin Sports. A four wheel alignment sorted it.
As for the sports button helping, I never drive mine without it on. Just wish there was a way to have it set to sport mode by default.
Andy

Sgr74

Postby Sgr74 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Tracking getting done on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

d3matt

Postby d3matt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 pm

Mine is very squirmy at the front end at speed - scarily so sometimes.
After reading this thread, I called in to get my tracking checked this afternoon. The report showed every wheel was out in all directions - so much so, all the staff had a look at it, as if it was the worst they'd seen. They did say that it was sort of typically for a BMW.
But after struggling with it, they couldn't free off the trackrod ends (I think my terminology is correct?), even after heating them up. I suspect its never been done in the vehicles 13 year life. The result was I now need to get the trackrods changed before they can have a second go. Its getting done on Monday now.
Last edited by d3matt on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patriot66

Postby patriot66 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 pm

I've had 3 sets of Avon ZZ5s on 2 different cars and I seriously doubt that they are what is making your Zed feel squirmy. Unless, as Mr Wilks says they have been mounted incorrectly. My Zed is fitted with a full 18" staggered set of ZZ5s and I am running the handbook/door sticker recommended pressures of 2.1bar/30psi front and 2.3bar/33 psi rear. I've never felt the need to raise/lower these pressures. Also I had Hunter 4 Wheel Alignment done when I changed to 18" rims shod with the ZZ5s. My car is an SE but is fitted with M - Sport springs. All other suspension components are standard. I've never had any issues and I know it's a cliché but 'it handles like it's on rails'...not a hint of squirm ! :thumbsup:
E85 2.5i SE Sterling Grey / SMG / 18" Gloss Black MV3s / M - Sport Suspension / Sterling Grey Hardtop

JimBob78

Postby JimBob78 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:56 pm

d3matt wrote:Mine is very squirmy at the front end at speed - scarily so sometimes.
After reading this thread, I called in to get my tracking checked this afternoon. The report showed every wheel was out in all directions - so much so, all the staff had a look at it, as if it was the worst they'd seen. They did say that it was sort of typically for a BMW.
But after struggling with it, they couldn't free off the trackrod ends (I think my terminology is correct?), even after heating them up. I suspect its never been done in the vehicles 13 year life. The result was I now need to get the trackrods changed before they can have a second go. Its getting done on Monday now.

Exactly the same for me, adjustment bolts basically welded, why dont they grease and fit a boot??

Return to “E85 - E86 Problems”