Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Expansion Tank and Radiator

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Evans_Dale

Post by Evans_Dale » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:32 pm

So after my car overheating I opted to bleed the system which helped for a bit but noticed a leak in the expansion tank. Managed to get the expansion tank out after some jigging! However I can't seem to get the new on over the bottom it seems far to tight and won't go on enough to get the clip on! So I opted to get the radiator out however on the left side of the radiator there are two Allen key bolts which I've undone but can't seem to get the pipes off I think they relate to the air con! Any help on how to get the expansion tank on or how the pipes are removed to the left of the radiator on a metal housing so I can get it off as one unit! I'm in Birmingham also if anybody wishes to help with paying of course

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Ive not done z4 but have done exp tank and radiator on e46's which is similiar before. You on about the pipe that looks crimped on should pull off but its old remember might need some spray around it?

Is the radiator bowed/leaking already?. why are you changing it? If the exp tank is split just change that. If its same as E46 theres a plastic bracket attached to the radiator and the exp tank is fixed to it. The bottom of it plugs the exp tank from memory. Either remove the bracket then mess with it flat on the floor (ive done it that way when fitting radiator). Or try a lube spray on the end of the exp it will help slide it on a lot easier then the clip will lock it in (done it that way when just replacing exp tank not rad too). Otherwise it wont be seated good and leak after can be a pain. Once you lube the end it will slide on pretty easy though. Reattach hoses and senor from underneath. Then top one to rad from above.

Evans_Dale

Post by Evans_Dale » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:57 pm

goldbcfc wrote:Ive not done z4 but have done exp tank and radiator on e46's which is similiar before. You on about the pipe that looks crimped on should pull off but its old remember might need some spray around it?

Is the radiator bowed/leaking already?. why are you changing it? If the exp tank is split just change that. If its same as E46 theres a plastic bracket attached to the radiator and the exp tank is fixed to it. The bottom of it plugs the exp tank from memory. Either remove the bracket then mess with it flat on the floor (ive done it that way when fitting radiator). Or try a lube spray on the end of the exp it will help slide it on a lot easier then the clip will lock it in (done it that way when just replacing exp tank not rad too). Otherwise it wont be seated good and leak after can be a pain. Once you lube the end it will slide on pretty easy though. Reattach hoses and senor from underneath. Then top one to rad from above.
Ive got the Expansion off but cant seem to get the new on the bottom part where the clip is supposed to hold it in place just wont happen at all with grease and force. ill try getting the bracket off on the radiator and do it off the car. i think you only live round the corner from me with a Black Z4?

goldbcfc

Post by goldbcfc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:31 pm

what colours your zed?

There's a few screws 2 at the top and one bottom to radiator holding it on you can see where on pic attached. If theres nothing wrong with the radiator then leave it in. Most liikely if its 10yrs old it will be starting to bow at the bottom. So would be good changing it with the new exp tank. Here's a picture of the bracket, can you see the bottom of the exp tank plugs onto it. When its lower enough over the ridge the clip will lock shut. What exp tank are you using?. Meyle ones are good most meyle parts is good tbh.

Your just not pushing hard enough probably. Get the front jacked up so you can work under the front to mess with the clip from below and reattch bottom hose etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RADIATOR- ... SwZ8ZW-~or
Attachments
IMG_5352.PNG
IMG_5352.PNG (113.48 KiB) Viewed 426 times