Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

new tyre not holding air

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wooly

new tyre not holding air

Post by wooly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm

hi guys had a new tyre fitted last week bridgestone Potenza run flat on the rear my wheels are 108's, and its deflating rapidly went to collect my son from school noticed it was looking flat stopped to put air in it was less than 10 psi, checked the tyre no signs of damage/screws in it, could it be the alloy, while washing it yesterday only just noticed there is a crack in the jacking point must have been damaged by the tyre fitter as it was fine when I dropped it off, so that needs fixed now more money to fork out, along with the noise coming from the back end that the garage cant find my first two months of ownership haven't been what I was hoping for.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Re: new tyre not holding air

Post by MACK » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 pm

could you just have been unlucky and have picked up a puncture you cant see? Maybe is a dodgy valve?
What noise from the back? may be we can help.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

wooly

Post by wooly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:09 pm

MACK wrote:could you just have been unlucky and have picked up a puncture you cant see? Maybe is a dodgy valve?
What noise from the back? may be we can help.
hi thanks for reply, ive posted something earlier about the noise, its a funny one its always when Im slowing down and coming off the revs and at 1100 rpm the noise is the same as when you drive over a cattle grid that like rumbling sound it goes away when you accelerate then as soon as you hit 1100 revs the noise comes back, local indy cant find anything wrong with the car although he heard the noise on a test drive, any help much appreciated.

regards lee.

rjsimmons

Post by rjsimmons » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Wooly, the noise might be a broken rear spring. I hear that is commong amongst the Zed clans...

wooly

Post by wooly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 pm

rjsimmons wrote:Wooly, the noise might be a broken rear spring. I hear that is commong amongst the Zed clans...
hi garage said springs all good, he couldn't find anything wrong, he thought it might be the abs engaging, only thing I could find on the net was other marques having the cattle grid effect down to torque converter problems mine is a 2.2 auto.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:31 pm

From experience I have found that a deflating new tyre is usually caused by the fitter failing to clean the outside edge of the alloy which corrodes and fails to seal properly when a new tyre is fitted.

Mark555

Post by Mark555 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:58 pm

So, up until last week there were no problems whatsoever? Now, you've also noticed a 'crack' at the jacking point that wasn't there previously! And the garage can't sort out your original noise problem coming from the back end? YOU NEED TO SERIOUSLY QUESTION THE ABILITY OF THE MECHANICS YOU ARE PAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooly

Post by wooly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:16 am

Mark555 wrote:So, up until last week there were no problems whatsoever? Now, you've also noticed a 'crack' at the jacking point that wasn't there previously! And the garage can't sort out your original noise problem coming from the back end? YOU NEED TO SERIOUSLY QUESTION THE ABILITY OF THE MECHANICS YOU ARE PAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
two different places mate, only had the car two months didn't drive it after I bought it due to knee ligament damage, noticed the noise only recently agree with you not impressed with the local indy bmw I took it to, going back to the tyre place tomorrow to speak to the owner about the damage, had no luck with it so far, when I went to view it for sale noticed the front tyre was flat garage said he will fix it guess he didn't as it kept going flat, replaced all four tyres last week the front is now fine but the rear not holding air could the alloys have been swapped from the front to back by the tyre fitter im guessing at least one is damaged and not holding air.

wooly

Post by wooly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:07 am

had the wheel checked today its got a small crack in it getting repaired tomorrow.

Serpentine722

Post by Serpentine722 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

I'll bet your garage didn't fix the initial flat cos it would mean buying a new rtf - you can't repair punctures on run flats apparently. Ask me how I found out :)