Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof motor swap out

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
slammer256

roof motor swap out

Post by slammer256 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi

Anyone in the lancashire area got any advice/time to spare to help remove roof and swap motor out

Im looking to have a go using the diy on here, but would appreciate some help

I ve already asked Tug and he has agreed to help me in a few weeks time, down in loughborough.

But im itching to have a go...........ive seen the chaps in Germany who can reach around from the boot and pull the motor around and in, without removing the roof.....im thinking ive got no chance to get that done

any help with this one would be appreciated

cheers

steve

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: roof motor swap out

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Steve,
Welcome to the forum.
I think it would be nice to introduce yourself, post some pics, etc. before your first post is seeking forum members assistance on fixing your roof.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

tug

Post by tug » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am

PM'd you Steve, and like cj says lets have a look at your zed. :)

Cheers, tug. :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

slammer256

Post by slammer256 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks for the advice cj

Not sure why you have posted what you did, im having an issue with my roof and was asking for help/advice from people who own a z4

It now feels like i have disturbed a private members club, im not asking for a date !!

Ive worked in IT for over 30 years and do not care much for moderators of any website.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:52 pm

slammer256 wrote:Thanks for the advice cj

Not sure why you have posted what you did, im having an issue with my roof and was asking for help/advice from people who own a z4

It now feels like i have disturbed a private members club, im not asking for a date !!

Ive worked in IT for over 30 years and do not care much for moderators of any website.
Bit abrupt when seeking help! This is the most welcoming forum I have ever been on and over the last 8 years on here I have had many many offers of help and support, and also like to think I have helped a fair few along the way. You're seeking someone to give up their time and expertise to help you and yet are not willing to immerse yourself into the forum by simply introducing yourself. Seems like you would be better to man up and have a go yourself or pay someone who is competent enough to do the job. :thumbsdown:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Pretty good introduction I'd say, giving an insight into your character and approach.

if after 30 years in IT you've formed such an opinion of moderators and clearly become a 'taker', then nothing much else needs to be said.
In the words of the dragons, 'I'm out'..

Good luck with your roof and hope you have every success in finding a company to fix it.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

slammer256

Post by slammer256 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks for the help and support chaps

you have your opinions, but if at all possible please don't share them with me............(especially your insights)

comments like "man up" & "taker"are just provocative (causing anger or another strong reaction, especially deliberately) and childish

I will not go down the route of reacting to you comments

so please enjoy your cars and keep your undoubted wisdom to the selected few

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:26 pm

It is a forum after all-and you will get differing opinions-its just there is a certain etiquette when on your first post you are asking for help without introducing yourself first.
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

obewan

Post by obewan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:47 pm

First Rickrob manages to upset the Americans and now this :o
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Slammer256 meet gtplus2. You will get on well with each other:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=80125

At the risk of stating what is obvious to the majority of folk, people on here a) have a sense of humour and b) have a sense of community. Some have neither, some leave!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

slammer256

Post by slammer256 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:30 pm

gtplus2 mmmmmm he has a point

majority on here are in the twilight years by the look of it

You play Bingo ?

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:20 pm

slammer256 wrote:gtplus2 mmmmmm he has a point

You play Bingo ?
:rofl:

slammer256

Post by slammer256 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm

:sos:

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:33 am

Slammer, removing the roof isn't difficult, just takes some care the first time. Try and find a copy of Shipkiller's excellent DIY guide as this is all I used to take my roof off.
No special tools needed, though yoga training would help when you have to get in the boot to undo the hoop bolts.
If you haven't bought the replacement motor, I would suggest to wait until you have your old motor out as it's probably not trashed, just in need of some tlc to get working again. Do a search for my posts on this as it might save you about £300.
While you're at it, check the rear springs on your Zed as they have a tendency to break. :)
E85 2.0l 2006 Zeeee 4 Roadster, black with black leather, whippy spec. and a few toys.
3 kids, one wife so a Zed makes a perfect family car in that you leave the family at home... :D

wegras

Post by wegras » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:15 am

slammer256 wrote:gtplus2 mmmmmm he has a point

You play Bingo ?
30 years in IT, some spring chicken you are not :rofl:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family