Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CD autochager cassette stuck stuck

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mad Professor

CD autochager cassette stuck stuck

Post by Mad Professor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:06 pm

So my Cd autochanger cassette is stuck -aaaargh -does this mean its fecked or is there some clever trick to get it to eject it
Does the ignition need to be done to eject it -i'm guessing not but even with ignition not nothing happens
Ive tried popping 2 credit cards stuck together between bottom of cassette and the assembly and even tired giving in a ding with a screwdriver
ta,
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Big Red Cat

Re: CD autochager cassette stuck stuck

Post by Big Red Cat » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Give it a good old whack with the screwdriver. I was a bit pathetic at first until I'd hit it a couple of times & got fed up. Thought f**k it & gave it proper hit & it shot out, think you need to get it in the right place so sometimes takes few goes. Fingers crossed mine has been OK since (about 1 year)
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:03 pm

You could try disconnecting the battery for 30mins. Acts like a reboot of a couple of units on the car, including the CD changer - a few people have had success doing it this way on here. You'll need to reset your clock and your one-touch window function after too.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:47 pm

I used to push the magazine gently and wriggle it up and down whilst pressing the eject button. Sometimes it worked immediately, other times only after a few minutes of trying, but it never failed to eject it eventually. The whole CD changer has long since died so it might be the first sign of a terminal problem. I suspect that the delicate drive doesn't appreciate the firm ride in the Zed. I have a Bluetooth receiver hidden away that's connected to an Aux input so now I play music from my mobile and leave the CDs at home.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:06 pm

A couple of firm taps on the front with fingers worked on mine. Someone suggested cleaning all the trays and runners with a silicone based home spray polish (Mr Sheen) a few times a year and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Ok thanks for that I'll give it all a go tomorrow ,maybe I'm bit effete in my efforts
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Ewazix wrote:A couple of firm taps on the front with fingers worked on mine. Someone suggested cleaning all the trays and runners with a silicone based home spray polish (Mr Sheen) a few times a year and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:
That was me - I'd quite forgotten that since it's been several years since I used the cd changer.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:
Ewazix wrote:A couple of firm taps on the front with fingers worked on mine. Someone suggested cleaning all the trays and runners with a silicone based home spray polish (Mr Sheen) a few times a year and haven't had a problem since :thumbsup:
That was me - I'd quite forgotten that since it's been several years since I used the cd changer.
Yea still with CD's but TBH I tend to listen to the 8 track more :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

GreyZed

Post by GreyZed » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:21 am

Your Zed is asking you to install an Intravee. :rofl:
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Hmm still can't get the cassette out despite significant force
What's the best and easiest aux in to get fitted ,just a bit concerned about damaging the dash while installing .

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Did you try disconnecting the battery yet ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Yep did that so it must be physically jammed

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Bollocks, sorry to hear that :(

Big Red Cat

Post by Big Red Cat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 am

Mad Professor wrote:Hmm still can't get the cassette out despite significant force
What's the best and easiest aux in to get fitted ,just a bit concerned about damaging the dash while installing .
What a pain, must be really jammed in. There are a couple of threads in the How To section on installing aux cable. Some people seem to have poor sound quality with an aux cable, I've just started using the one that was installed on mine when I bought it & find the sound quality is fine as long as I turn the sound right up on the MP3 player.
A downside of the aux cable is that you cannot operate it from the steering wheel & also if you switch to the radio the MP3 player continues to play so when you switch back from the radio you are at a different track. Might not bother some people but it mildly irritates me.
Might be worth considering an Intravee.
My New love - 05 Alpina Roadster, Black Sapphire, black leather #308
My first love - '07 2.0l Titanium Silver Pearl Grey Oregon leather
Daily drive - '05 e61 535d Titanium silver, black Dakota leather

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks
So is the intravee the best fix overall and does it allow one to use iphone /ipod to play using the steering wheel controls ?
Also does the intravee obviate the need to connect the phone via bluetooth to receive calls or that totally separate
Where is the best place to buy an intravee and does it need panels removing from the dash to insert it [which kind of worries me ]-i will be getting someone to fit for me and i'm just thinking if they haven't done one before that could lead to problems .I have the carbon dash and to replace that would be a major problem if it was damaged during installation -ie i'm just wondering if the the simple aux input is easier and less invasive to fit whether that's the path of least resistance .Also its not my daily car so i suppose i don't need the all singing all dancing solution .