Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken Strut Brace :( ** FIXED **

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Broken Strut Brace :(

Post by AlanJ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:48 am

Dogmatic6 wrote:My last inspection 2 was at an indy which included Eibach springs and allignment so not sure a main dealer would be interested in my problem after that.....
Should make no difference i.m.o.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Stuart Truman
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stuart Truman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

Dogmatic6 wrote:
My last inspection 2 was at an indy which included Eibach springs and allignment so not sure a main dealer would be interested in my problem after that?
Dealers are coin operated machines. You put money in, they stay interested!
Add yourself to the Z4 Map HERE! Instructions HERE!
Z4M Roadster, Imola Red, with Stubby and Intravee II. Low Miles per Gallon, High Smiles per Gallon
Previously Alpina Roadster S #69 Alpina Blue

exdos

Post by exdos » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am

The fact that these brackets fracture on the OEM diagonal braces indicates that a strutbrace, which connects the two suspension towers together, must serve some purpose to improve handling.

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 am

Even a loose bolt on the diagonal brace will cause a lot of creaking, which indicates that the brace is maintaining rigidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks all.

Took the car to a local small garage this morning, they rebuilt my front caliper around 6 mnths ago.

I'm going back on Mon or Tues to get it welded for around £30

I'm sure the cars not handling as well but that could be in my head...lol anyway its getting sorted.

Cheers
Z4M Silver Grey with Red Leather

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Is there a torque value for the nuts on either end of the braces ? I am getting a creak occasionally that I think may be a nut that is not tight enough, but I don't want to over-torque them...
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Bing wrote:Is there a torque value for the nuts on either end of the braces ? I am getting a creak occasionally that I think may be a nut that is not tight enough, but I don't want to over-torque them...
Hi Bing,

I found the below in another thread, hopefully someone will confirm its correct :)

45ft lbs for the larger nuts on the brace it's self. I can't recall exactly what the suspension tower ones were but it was low, around 25 -30 I think

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Dogmatic6, thanks - appreciated :thumbsup:

That's 61nm, right ?

I just want to do the brace ones - not touching the tower bolts, best left well alone by someone as hamfisted as me :P
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Dogmatic6

Re: Broken Strut Brace :( **Fixed**

Post by Dogmatic6 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:09 am

Hi All,

Thats my strut brace tab/bracket fixed. Local garage welded it this morning for £30 they also dropped the shock mount underneath in case the heat from the welder damaged it.

Here's an updated pic

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... Annui8G1dg

Cheers

Disca

Re: Broken Strut Brace :( ** FIXED **

Post by Disca » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Just found this thread, dealer pointed out mine had also snapped while it was with them for other work.

Waiting for the dealership to confirm whether the AUC warranty will cover it (it better damned do).

Snapped in a pretty much identical place to the images on the skydrive!
He who has the most toys, wins.

‘15 VFR1200FD

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Has to be covered, there is no way I would pay whilst under warranty.

Disca

Post by Disca » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 pm

srhutch wrote:Has to be covered, there is no way I would pay whilst under warranty.
I agree.

‘15 VFR1200FD

Dogmatic6

Post by Dogmatic6 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Disca wrote:Just found this thread, dealer pointed out mine had also snapped while it was with them for other work.

Waiting for the dealership to confirm whether the AUC warranty will cover it (it better damned do).

Well my bracket ended up cracking again around a year or so later in a different place on the same bracket. I ended up buying two replacement brackets from the dealer and getting a local garage to replace them :)

As my car hasn't been near a main dealer in 4yrs I didn't even try to get it done on goodwill lol

Disca

Post by Disca » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Dogmatic6 wrote:
Disca wrote:Just found this thread, dealer pointed out mine had also snapped while it was with them for other work.

Well my bracket ended up cracking again around a year or so later in a different place on the same bracket. I ended up buying two replacement brackets from the dealer and getting a local garage to replace them :)

As my car hasn't been near a main dealer in 4yrs I didn't even try to get it done on goodwill lol
The dealership said it will be quite a bit of bodywork to fix it so not sure what they plan on doing. They are rather elusive at present as always when I chase them though.

‘15 VFR1200FD

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:52 pm

It's not normally the strut bar itself that fails but the welds on the bracket on the tower.