Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Serious problem - unhealthy appetite for oil

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TonyP

Re: Serious problem, or just the oil level sensor?

Post by TonyP » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 pm

I've had a quote from Sopers so I'm going to get the sensor ordered before the weekend.

Took the car out yesterday & decided against adding the +1 litre as suggested by the display for fear of overfilling, once the car was warmed the display went up to 2/5ths (where 1/5th = add a litre & 5/5th's = full if that makes sense), stayed like that all day over 120 odd miles & was reading the same when I got home.

I will change the sensor, but maybe I just need to do more than a couple of hundred miles a month, having said that, I never take the car out unless I know it'll get a long enough run to warm up properly & I never take the revs above 3k until I've done 10 miles as a minimum.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi tony, I would expect the level to go up as the car warms as the oil would expand slightly when heated, mine seems to be similar as when I've added oil the display doesn't always recognise the extra quantity I've added.
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Ok, an update to this & I wish I could bring you good news. :|

So today the Zed was booked in with my trusted mechanic for oil drain, measure how much comes out, sensor change & refill, plus fitment of new Melye HD control arm bushes whilst he was under the car.

Long story short is that when drained 4.5 litres came out, some will be left up in the filter - maybe 1/2 litre max at a guess, so that means that my car was genuinely down on oil & that the sensor was most likely reading accurately.

My mechanic pointed out that it was smoky on startup & he was right which I can't understand as I've specifically been looking out for it, I took it for a drive, left it for 45 mins or so & no smoke on startup again - odd.

My mechanics advice is to move the car on, but my conscience couldn't sell this car on privately to someone else so I now have to consider my options over the next few days, the options are as I see it:-

1, keep the car & just add a litre of oil as & when it needs it as it appears that I can trust the sensor, circa every 400 miles ish at present, surely whatever is up with it will only get worse though.

2, spend some more money getting a proper diagnosis with compression testing etc.

3, depending on the outcome of number 2 get estimates for it's repair & if I feel the car is worth or take the last option.

4, trade the car in at a dealer for something else & take the hit.

I'm not feeling the love for my Zed right now, shame as it drives beautifully, really noticed the new control arm bushes tonight - what a difference.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Check the engine breather, they can become blocked & cause the engine to burn oil-it's worth a look before you sell the car on.
Regards

e85 3.0si sold

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Smartbear wrote:Check the engine breather, they can become blocked & cause the engine to burn oil-it's worth a look before you sell the car on.
Regards
Found this posted up by Z4M-2006 last August.

CCV is crank case ventilation valve..

Its basically a diaphragm inbetween 2 chambers..It has the crankcase breather system plumbed into the body and the diaphragm controls the oil vapour and flows it into the inlet manifold,getting burned off in combustion..

When the CCV diaphragm rips,inlet manifold vacuum gets vented into the crankcase and literally sucks oil out of the sump..

Put oil in your car,and let it run for 10 mins if no undue noises can be heard....A simple CCV test is to remove the oil cap with the car idling and place your hand over the filler hole,if vacuum can be felt(tries to suck your hand onto the filler),then the CCV is paggered...

Last night whilst the engine was still warm I unscrewed the oil filler cap & an audible rush of air could be heard, this was repeatable by tightening/loosening the cap & the air rush was back straight away, I'll try again putting my hand over the oil filler hole when I next use the car to see if this is positive pressure or a vacuum & report back.

Can anyone else with an N52 engine try loosening the cap for me to see if a small rush of air is normal please.

Tony

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Mine does it, but I think it's only sposed to be a small amount of suction & not loads-some cars cause a whistle as they are drawing air in so hard.
Look on here & other forums-there have been issues with oil burning & knackered engine breathers, do you do a lot of short journeys?

e85 3.0si sold

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:30 pm

I've only done 2k miles since I had the Zed in November, I cant speak for the previous owners so I've no idea on the type of journeys previously done, I only use the Zed if I'm sure it can get properly warmed up, work is 14 miles of free flowing traffic each way for eg.

So from the sound it judging by yours then the rush of air I hear would probably seem normal & hence not the CCV, I don't want to move this car on & to a certain extent I'm in too deep with it having shelled out for tyres all round, BMW Insp II service, pads, coil pack, Dension gateway, MFSW, cupholders etc etc.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm

I tried checking my breather a few weeks back & the pipe that goes from the breather to the sump makes a bubbling sound when I blow down it, seemed a little strange?

e85 3.0si sold

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Wouldn't that be like blowing down a straw into a drink, i.e. it was your oil bubbling up?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:49 pm

It sounded like the oil, but it wouldn't have thought the pipe surfaced below oil level? Surely to be free breathing it should exit to atmosphere (not viscous oil)

e85 3.0si sold

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:57 pm

I still cant get my head around why this car passed the emissions test on an MOT not so many miles ago, throws no warning lights, drives fine but drinks oil like a fish.

Anyone recommend a good indy within 50 miles of Dorset where I can get some investigative work done, I think I might try Iridium in Southampton if no one has any better ideas.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Serious problem - unhealthy appetite for oil

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:41 pm

How's your Zed been since you had the oil level checked (and presumably) sorted to the right level? Is it still using oil now?

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:03 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:How's your Zed been since you had the oil level checked (and presumably) sorted to the right level? Is it still using oil now?

:driving: :thumbsup:
Not used the Zed today & it's going to be a few miles before it moves off of full which is what its reading right now.

The oil level sensor was replaced yesterday, only because I'd already purchased it & doubted if Sopers would have taken it back, however, the measured oil removed was low suggesting that there was nothing wrong with the original sensor so there is definitely a more serous underlying problem.

Now I know it's consuming oil I'm worried about the affects it could be having on the catalytic converters long term so I'm reluctant to drive it somewhat.

TonyP

Post by TonyP » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Guys, this is crunch time for this car :cry: , does this look like too much vacuum indicating a duff CCV or does it look normal? perhaps I should have used a single skin of the freezer bag as it's more obvious that the plastic closest to the engine is trying to be sucked in when viewing directly above it, I was a bit nervous as I obviously didn't want the bag to get hot & soft & get sucked into the engine.

When I fitted the cap on & off & on again etc there's a definite rush of air inwards each time although it's difficult to hear this on the video.

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:26 pm

N52 engines can burn oil...

CCV is the easiest and least expensive thing to try.

After that it could be rings or valves stem oil seals,both common in the "N" series engines