Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 monitor sticking

chimaera258

Z4 monitor sticking

Post by chimaera258 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:10 pm

I had this problem soon after I bought my 3.0 convertible. The garage had it back and said they had lubricated the mechanism and it worked for all of a couple of days and started playing up again. The got a quote from BMW for £1700 to replace and did not want to pay that so offered to take the car back. By this time I wass a bit fed up and as someone who is used to getting their hands dirty decided to take a look myself. I am doing this from memory so it might not be exactly right the good news is it was quite obvious.
1) remove the grill from beneath the monitor. The are two clips at the top each side you can see them with a torch. I used a stereo tool and a thin screw driver to actuate. Its a bit fiddly until you have done it a few times but it does pop out. Be careful of the vents because its easy to damage them.
2) Two screw underneath to be removed
3) At the back of the screen remove the small cover it just pops off
4) Remove the 3 screws (I think)
5) The unit should lift out. At this point you realise unless you get the unit out you cannot lubricate it. on the righthand side is the motor in a housing screwed to the side of the unit
6) remove the 3 screws and gently pull the housing off (it will come all the way off)
7) lubricate the centre pivot, the gears and what looks like a guide moulded into the plastic with White lithium grease
8) reasssemble in reverse order

It works lovely and feels great when you have saved £1700 from the stealer price or £100-200 for a 2nd hand unit.

Its been working great for 3 months now.
One tip I use my car 1-2 times per week as I have a company car so I always leave the screen up so every time I use the car the mechanism gets exercised. Its a small thing but if you don't use it its likely to stick eventually.

Hope this fixes your problem too. Any problems drop me a line.
Paul

EddyC

Re: Z4 monitor sticking

Post by EddyC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Great guide, thanks a lot. I had found the screws at the back but hadn't realised there were some at the front, meaning a vents out job...

Just to expand on point 6) it's 2 screws and the motor housing comes off then another 3 and the plate covering the main gears and pivot are exposed.

Really good job done, my screen kept getting stuck and not raising and now we are free moving all again!

EddyC

Post by EddyC » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:01 pm

OK well it was a good fix while it lasted. Just wondering what lube you used? I used 3 in 1 oil which sends to have ceased to work already...

chimaera258

Post by chimaera258 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

I used white lithium grease. Just to update since I have fixed this problem it has worked a treat since

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:07 pm

chimaera258 wrote:I used white lithium grease. Just to update since I have fixed this problem it has worked a treat since
Nice cheap result! :thumbsup:
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.