Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear Center Console Broken Latch Replacement

jplanaux

Post by jplanaux » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:54 pm

My Latch broke a few months ago. I learned how to open it w/o the latch. Someone emailed some pics, but no one has done this post.

First I went to Real OEM parts. The diagram is not clear if the cover assembly actually comes with the latch that was broken. I had to call Pelican Parts and they didn't know "for sure". I ordered it anyway and it did come with the two latches.

Part No: 51467031364

Broken Latch

Unscrew two torx screws

After screw removal, pop little screw retainers out so you won't break them. I broke mine.

Gently peel up and out. It comes off. It has snaps in about the middle and at the very top.

Place the new one in and snap at the top, middle, and hold in place at the bottom while placing screw retainers in the bottom. Re screw in.

Finished.

Takes about 20 minutes to order on-line (about $60-70 US).

Takes about 10-20 minutes to complete.

ThreeOZ

Re: Rear Center Console Broken Latch Replacement

Post by ThreeOZ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:59 pm

Well this was quick and interesting.

First things first. As with most 2 seat roadsters, you will need to be suspended upside down from a hoist with shackles around your ankles. This will give you the proper vantage point.

I started by un-clipping the retainers from the top. Then the second set of retainers, then the third. These should come out easily, especially if your roadster has sunburn. They'll just break.

Once the retainers are unclipped, you have the final attachments to remove. The two screws at the bottom (very fuzzy in the OP photo). These screws are plastic and did not match any of the philips or torx bits in my many tool sets. They're hex. Fortunately they had no torque on them, so I was able to carefully remove them with a large philips bit gently caressed between my thumb and forefinger.

Once these screws are removed, pull the cover ever so slightly downward to release the retainers that the OP broke. These retainers are expansion rivets.

If you carefully removed everything these expansion rivets will still be lodged in the holes of the panel. Pinch them from the backside and remove them for future use.

Clean out all of the broken pieces of plastic, and lever springs. s**t will be everywhere.

Replace the panel by snapping in from the top, then the next set of retainers, then the next. Smack it gently with the back side of your fist to lock the retainer clips.

Then align the lower panel holes with the receiver holes in the console. Press the expansion rivets through both holes. They press through both the tab on the panel and the receiver hole on the console. Remember, they're expansion rivets. And they're plastic. And they're old, and delicate after years of whatever.

Thread the crappy plastic screws into the retainers and tighten as removed, (with a large philips bit gently caressed between you thumb and forefinger).

Done.

Except, your console light may no work. Don't worry, it will come back on after you close and open the driver side door.

Rlove2201

Post by Rlove2201 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Hope you're still checking your site; my 03 z4 needs new covers for the center console. I bought them online but neither one is going to go on easy it seems. The bottom one looks odd. It appears that some of the old plastic is still attached to the car, the part with the very small screws, possibly the Philips headed ones you referred to above. I don't want to break anything vital so i'm not sure where to begin. it would help greatly if I had a good diagram. any ideas? :headbang:

biojo

Post by biojo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 pm

Mine too broke, tbh bmw design puts stress on the center 2 support arms, also the gaps where the 4 supports go through has large gaps, Im guessing that over time we dont always press the button straight but on a angle that eventually snaps the supports.

As i couldnt be bothered ordering a new one, heres my fix, works perfectly no play in the movement

Basically 4 peices of plactic cut to shape of the supports then epoxed into place, they all still fit through the original gaps.

If i had time, a 3d printed support might have been better to go inbetween each one, either way yor cant see them from within car.

Guess we will see how long it lasts :)

alpinewhite944

Post by alpinewhite944 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:08 am

"My Latch broke a few months ago. I learned how to open it w/o the latch. Someone emailed some pics, but no one has done this post"

I need to do the same. My latch broke and I can't open the door. How is this done? Thanks.

RickZ4

Post by RickZ4 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 pm

alpinewhite944 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:08 am I need to do the same. My latch broke and I can't open the door. How is this done? Thanks.
Bump

Me too. Help! :?
07 2.5i Sport Auto

trojanlawyer

Post by trojanlawyer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:06 pm

Same situation. Any help would be great.

trojanlawyer

Post by trojanlawyer » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 pm

I figured it out. Just use a screwdriver to push up on the price that latches to the door.

ajax_borges

Post by ajax_borges » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:37 am

biojo wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:09 pm As i couldnt be bothered ordering a new one, heres my fix, works perfectly no play in the movement
@biojo What is it that you did to fix it? :driving:

biojo

Post by biojo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 pm

when you take it off you can see the 4 columns of plastic these break

so cut some pvc and glued them at each side of the original ones, then widen the slots they drop into

still working fine now

wildcars

Post by wildcars » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:37 pm

I removed the upper center console to get access to the top lever that came off. I put the spring clip back in position then hot glued both springs on the round ends (when the springs were assembled). This keeps the springs from slipping off the very short center posts they ride on. I then hot glued on top of the slot where the door pivot posts ride to keep the door from popping out of the cradle where they ride. Now I ONLY push on the center of the latches. So far so good. Hope this helps. :D

stal023

Post by stal023 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Seeking help on this as well. I ordered the new part but can't seem to figure out how to reinstall it? I don't want to break the new piece as it was nearly $200. Seems like the plastic legs on the back would easily break if I try to force anything. Any steps to help the install of this piece? Pictures and/or video?

stal023

Post by stal023 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:41 pm

I actually got this to work yesterday. There are two holes near the top that the "pegs" go into, so put those in first then slowly work your way down to the screws.

Tuna!

Post by Tuna! » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:06 am

Does anyone have the springs to their old button for latch? Or know where I can buy some? Mine is missing one of the springs but I found the replacement plastic button on alibaba for $25 bucks