Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Control

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Re: How to retrofit M Steering Wheel with Multi Function Con

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:38 pm

billygilly wrote:Please help.. Cold in car and really struggling to get the airbag off
Yeah, I found that a real pig! Didn't know what I was aiming for...

The link below has the instructions...
BMW TIS - 32 34 030 - Removing and installing / replacing airbag unit

This is the main bit though, shows the spring clip (safety pin type thing) that you need to push out...
When you get it you'll feel the airbag move forward slightly. Other side is a doddle once you've got one.

Good luck :thumbsup:
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Cheers!!

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Still think I've now missed something.. If just adding buttons to normal wheel, do I need to trim rubber away for the plug on the back of buttons??

PawnSacrifice
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PawnSacrifice » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Don't recall, but I don't think so. If you look at the first picture on page 1 that shows where the cables go. You shouldn't need to anything as far as I can recall. Can you put up some pictures to show what you mean? Not sure where you're having the issue.

EDIT: BMW TIS - 61 31 220 - Removing and installing/replacing multifunction steering wheel switch
The spokes should just clip on, cables routed down through the ends.
2003 2.5i. Info: Winter Tyres | PDF Manuals, Retrofit Instructions and Links | Modifications | YouTube | #Project924

Hey, wet-pants! This isn't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Sh** no proper Internet acres just the phone

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm

If you are fitting buttons to a wheel that did not have them as standard from 09/03 or before (or a wheel designed for then), then you will need to trim a significant amount of excess rubber off. I've just done the exact same a few weeks back on an ///M wheel to add buttons.

BMW retrofit pdf makes reference to the exact same trimming
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 pm

Cheers..

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Just picked up the retro fit cable and westerly BMW in Yeovil have charged me £18!!!
Couldnt really hand it back as I need my car sorted asap.

As#hol*s!!

BettyBmw03

Post by BettyBmw03 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:58 pm

On the retrowire, you should totally take it back. It is a complete rip off. Go and order two of these instead:

Part Number: 61130005197

That is the correct pin contact and it will come with the exact same amont of wire already attached. The wiring harness is nothing more than these two wires in different colors, with some shotty wire cover on it and it is 18 EUR........ridiculous. PM if you have Q's The two wires above will cost you like 4 USD instead.

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:26 pm

billygilly wrote:Just picked up the retro fit cable and westerly BMW in Yeovil have charged me £18!!!
Couldnt really hand it back as I need my car sorted asap.

As#hol*s!!
when I bought my mfsw,I got the cable as well as wasn't sure if I need it or not,which I didn't.At the time Joe charged me £5 for it but recently it has gone up to £17 as I have heard,crazy for a small piece of cable.

billygilly

Post by billygilly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:19 pm

No way so Navid, I guess this cable is in a draw somewhere!!

swold

Post by swold » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:04 pm

Great write up, thanks to you I managed to get my indicator stalk removed from the steering column. Had to follow most of your steps to remove it as its attached to a plate that only comes out once the steering wheel is removed.

That centre nut was super tight, anyone trying this should unlock their steering lock as you could brake it with the force required. I unlocked the steering then got someone to hold the wheel first while using a very long bar to get the leverage.

Even managed to fix the annoying click my indicator made every time I turned a corner. Anyone interested, you can take it apart by removing the 2 torx screws, unclip the cover, then put grease under the grey lever arm (this is on the cover part, its not needed on the switch part). Put back together and then hooray...saved £150.

SpikedJuice

Post by SpikedJuice » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Has anyone got the contact email address for Joe at Sopers? I've sent an enquiry through their website but is there a more direct line of communication?
2.5i
BMW Stubby | ZHP gearknob | DICE MediaBridge | ///M tri-colour MFSW

navid.v
Lifer
Lifer

Post by navid.v » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

SpikedJuice wrote:Has anyone got the contact email address for Joe at Sopers? I've sent an enquiry through their website but is there a more direct line of communication?
there you go:

[email protected]

I have had contacts (but no actual purchase) with Richard Allbutt from Cotswold Group @ Hereford,his email is: [email protected]

unlike Joe he replies very quickly,prices aren't as good as Joe though;Joe always says if you want to order anything or even enquire,you better call!

JimmyPop

Post by JimmyPop » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 pm

just in the process of fitting my M MFSW ordered from eBay. Couple of valuable lessons I've learnt....

1) don't use scotchloks too close to the end of the cable :headbang:

2) make sure you connect all the cables together before you reconnect the battery or you have another lengthy wait for a two minute job. :headbang: :headbang: