Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofit Cruise Control

Toe-side

Re: Retrofit Cruise Control

Post by Toe-side » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:14 pm

whiterabbit wrote:Thanks Aquazi,

wish i knew where my dremel was lol
Try a Junior hacksaw and a round file. That's all I used even though I have a dremel tool
Much more control. :thumbsup:
Before: 2003 3.0 Roadster, Porsche Boxster 987S Now 981S
Success breeds complacency. Complacency breeds failure. Only the paranoid survive

Chazaxl

Post by Chazaxl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Just did my own today. Just need to test drive but connector was there. Got a bit panicky when I didnt see it. 2003 3.0 model Z4.

ESP

Post by ESP » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Toe-side wrote:
whiterabbit wrote:Thanks Aquazi,

wish i knew where my dremel was lol
Try a Junior hacksaw and a round file. That's all I used even though I have a dremel tool
Much more control. :thumbsup:
+1
Unless you have a dremel, don't bother buying one. Junior Hacksaw and some sand paper worked perfect for me a treat! Took about 20min to cut and sand the cowling.

The wiring of the loom for post 04 cars is a lot more time consuming! This is made more difficult by BMW's awful instructions.
Once you get your head around what goes where running the last single blue wire to the engine bay is fiddley (behind centre console then removing the glove box etc).

Also i found this very handly for the final stage on a 2.0ltr
dsj1979 wrote:I just fitted cruise control.... and it works! Yay! It went nice and smoothly, quite an enjoyable job, though I took my time to do a good job.

The car is a 2.0 55 reg. If it helps anyone.... On the nearside wing is the box which holds the ecu. The 26 pin plug, plugs into the ecu. There are a few plugs which go into the ecu, including two 26 pin plugs; one is black, one white. You use the black one of course! You need to dismantle the ecu plug holder pusher thingy to pull out the black 26 pin plug as otherwise you can't get access to pin 4. Mine already had a wire in it and BMW say if that's the case to join the blue wire to that wire.

Now... because the blue wire from the cruise control has to be joined to the long cruise control wire, so there is already a split in the wire, so.., I detached the original wire in pin 4, and plugged the blue wire in there. I then attached the original wire from the ecu to the join from the blue wire to the cruise control.... does this make sense? :D

Hopefully this may help someone!

Getting the wire through the Bulk head was easy, I pushed some gardening wire through into the cockpit from the engine bay electrics box. Then lopped this to the long blue wire and pulled it back through. SIMPLES
07 Sapphire Black Roadster.

ryanwhite19

Post by ryanwhite19 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 am

Very useful thread this, am i right in thinking this http://bmwministyle.co.uk/products/BMW- ... ODELS.html is all i would need to fit it to my 06 3.0si ?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:55 am

ryanwhite19 wrote:Very useful thread this, am i right in thinking this http://bmwministyle.co.uk/products/BMW- ... ODELS.html is all i would need to fit it to my 06 3.0si ?
With the loom included, yes.

This is the thread that is relevant for your car: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19242
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ryanwhite19

Post by ryanwhite19 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for that but your link doesnt work ?

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

ryanwhite19 wrote:Thanks for that but your link doesnt work ?
Odd. How about the below?

http://bit.ly/H8Jhpj

It's the first Google hit for "post 04 cruise control".
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ryanwhite19

Post by ryanwhite19 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Yes that one was good thanks for ur help

Moheddine

Post by Moheddine » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks for the instructions on this - £20 stalk from breakers, and 20 mins fitting - PERFECT! Very happy :D
Heated Red M-Sport Seats|Custom Aero Spoiler|Nav|Cruise|Xenons|Strut Brace|Wind Deflector|Phone|Red Calipers|CSL Reps|Custom Tail Lights|Hardtop|CF Badged|Gaptech RCH+|MKi9200|Intravee

Ant

Post by Ant » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:41 pm

if i've a 2003 3.0 all i need is the stalk about about 30mins to fit this then?

okie dokie!

Jersey

Post by Jersey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Good evening all. I have spent the night trawling the internet and read this entire thread looking for confirmation that it's possible to retrofit Cruise Control to an E89 Sdrive 35i. I am strongly considering buying one. A late 2009. The lack of cruise control makes it a whole lot less attractive!
If nobody knows the definitive answer it would be good to hear if people think it's worth a try using the stalk kit and loom described on the previous pages of this thread. My thoughts are that as this car shares the N54 engine (I think) with earlier Z4s maybe the wiring might be similar enough.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Regards,
James

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 pm

HI,

I installed the cruise control in mi Z4 3.0 12/2003, plugged the cable, but the cruise control doesn't work. I tried to push all buttons but no result... why? :cry:

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:11 pm

0xid0 wrote:HI,

I installed the cruise control in mi Z4 3.0 12/2003, plugged the cable, but the cruise control doesn't work. I tried to push all buttons but no result... why? :cry:
Which buttons? You just push the stalk forward, have to be over about 30mph though

0xid0

Post by 0xid0 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 pm

wilbo wrote:

Which buttons? You just push the stalk forward, have to be over about 30mph though
The left button.

When the cruise control enters in action, in the gauges appears any light? Thanks

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:39 pm

0xid0 wrote:
wilbo wrote:

The left button.

When the cruise control enters in action, in the gauges appears any light? Thanks
The button is used if you turn it off, press the button in and speed will go back to the last setting. To actually engage / turn on the cruise control, you just push the stalk forwards, I.e. towards thee front of the car. Pushing it forwards again will increase speed and pulling it back will slow down. To turn it off, touch the brake, or push the stalk up or down. I never use the button on the left. Unfortunately no lights or gauges appear.