Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear mounting Powerflex bushes.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm

This is how i removed the bushes and installed Powerflex bushes.

Things you need other than a tool kit are some 10mm high tensile all thread, nuts to suit, steel washers and steel cup to pull bush into.
i milled mine but there is no need.

Drive car onto some wood so you are able to get jack under car (unless your car is not lowered and the jack goes under)
Jack car remove wheel!

Remove plastic covers, you may need to replace the plastic rivet thing (one on each side of car) but the nuts and screws remove with no problem!

New bag of plastic rivet things well cheap from Ebay!

undo plastic clips holding brake sensor wires!!

undo plastic clips holding brake sensor wires!!

Remove screws holding brake pipe on wishbone, one on top of wishbone and one on back (just visible in pic with socket on it)

With a marker pen draw around mounting bracket onto body (this will help when re-assembling back onto body)
Remove 3 bolts holding the mounting onto the body, undo box with brake sensors in and unclip sensors from the box!
Then push down on wishbone!

Put 10mm high tensile all thread through bush with nut and washer on the side nearest the wheel arch and hollow cap on the out side with nut and washer, use socket spanner on one end and ring spanner (wrench) on other end and slowly do up nuts.

With a hollow cap with cutouts on the side you can see the progress!

Nearly out!!

Push in one of the new bushes, but the side in the photo has a nice lead on it and the bush will slide in with no problem. I found it easier to install the other side of the wishbone first using allthread to pull it into wishbone because there is no lead on that side and used a bit of washing up liquid to help lube and then i did this side.

Both sides in!

Using copperease push in stainless steel sleeve!

Put mounting braket back on and torque up.
Use scissor jack under wishbone and do up to help align the 3 bolts and torque up.
Put sensors in box, wires on wishbone, plastic covers back on and job done!

I hope this can help someone.
It's not a bad job to do. lol
Went out today and found that in 2nd at red line round the bends the rear end felt well connected!
I may have missed something but hope you get the idea!!
All the best Colin.

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Rear mounting Powerflex bushes.

Post by andysat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Good job-can you buy the extractors cheaply?
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 pm

andysat wrote:Good job-can you buy the extractors cheaply?

Thanks, and no i made the extractor at work, i could make you one for a price if you like? would way a bit in the post!

Foxy3.0

Post by Foxy3.0 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:34 pm

phoenix motorsport on ebay will rent you this tool for 7 days at a reasonable rate, i borrowed one a couple of years back to do my e46 m3 which shares the same rear end setup.

Nelly Welly

Post by Nelly Welly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:10 am

Don't suppose you can provide the dimensions of the tool ?
Lost in space, found in a dustbin........

2005 Z4 2.2
2011 318 d Estate Recalled and repaired - Update: Turbo blown new one about to get fitted.... :headbang:
2008 2.0d Mondeo Estate Gone but not forgotten
2008 TDV6 Discovery 3 HSE

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:32 am

andysat wrote:Good job-can you buy the extractors cheaply?
If you're planning to do more bushing installs yourself at some time you could buy a universal press kit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bearing-S ... 1142662159
Especially the bearings on the threads/nuts make pressing the bushing out easier.

Works great. And a lot cheaper than buying a seperate tool for a specific job again and again.
Obviously there will always be specific jobs (especially when pressing bushings on the car) when you need a custom tool because something doesn't fit. Or you may use parts of the tool and maybe a big socket from a socketset etc etc.

But that's not the case with these bushings. Access is good. That goes for most bushings that are mounted in/on control arms.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Great write up.just done mine . Unfortunately my home made puller wouldnt budge the old bush .so I drilled a series of holes thro the rubber till the centre fell out.then sawed thro the the outer metal ring of the bush .took about 20 mins to get it out. New ones went in fine an dandy .
Cheers Moz

Lee Young

Post by Lee Young » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Fab write up and pics. Want to do mine at some stage but having problems finding an affordable rbrt - eBay appear to asking £65+. Can't find one on ECPs or Amazon. Any suggestions welcome. I'm happy to share it until needed. Thanks.

fixit man

Post by fixit man » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Good write up, planning on Doing mine soon, I have lots of large sockets and threaded bar so hopefully I'll manage :)