Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-to: Cheap brake upgrade

oalloyd1

Post by oalloyd1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:42 pm

Yes indeed, its going to be doing some lapping going forward!

o :)

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:44 pm

Has anybody performed the rear upgrade on a 2.0i E85? The fronts were no problem at all, but the rears are an issue.

I have sourced the calipers from a 325i and some 294mm drilled Brembo rear discs for a 325i to match the fronts, only to find the dish isn't deep enough to reach the 2.0i handbrake. In fact I haven't been able to find any 294mm drilled discs that would suit, it seems once you get to 294 they are all shallow dish.

Am I missing something here? It's frustrating to have gone through the whole caliper restoration procedure and sourcing everything I believe this guide points to, only to find they won't fit in the midst of the upgrade process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: READING THROUGH THE REST OF THIS THREAD IT SEEMS THIS ISSUE HAS CROPPED UP BEFORE, SO I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY SOLUTIONS OR SHOULD I JUST FORGET THE REAR'S AND TRY AND GET SOME MONEY BACK?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Z3 rears apparently fit, as well those from a 3.0se/si zed.

Mike

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks Mike I'll have a look at them.

Limonge

Post by Limonge » Thu May 10, 2018 11:59 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:44 pm Has anybody performed the rear upgrade on a 2.0i E85? The fronts were no problem at all, but the rears are an issue.

I have sourced the calipers from a 325i and some 294mm drilled Brembo rear discs for a 325i to match the fronts, only to find the dish isn't deep enough to reach the 2.0i handbrake. In fact I haven't been able to find any 294mm drilled discs that would suit, it seems once you get to 294 they are all shallow dish.

Am I missing something here? It's frustrating to have gone through the whole caliper restoration procedure and sourcing everything I believe this guide points to, only to find they won't fit in the midst of the upgrade process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: READING THROUGH THE REST OF THIS THREAD IT SEEMS THIS ISSUE HAS CROPPED UP BEFORE, SO I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY SOLUTIONS OR SHOULD I JUST FORGET THE REAR'S AND TRY AND GET SOME MONEY BACK?
Hello,

Could you finally install the 320mm rear disc? Do they fit? I know there are issues with the parking brake, but I was wondering if it bolts up (leaving the parking brake useless)

Cheers

LittleZ4

Post by LittleZ4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I assume no one has got the 320mm to fit the rear with a working handbrake?? I'm about to order the discs and pads ready to do the upgrade. Not long refurbished a full set of front and rear calipers off a 330i.
Would love to have front and rears fitted.
3.0i Maldives blue, Coilovers, Bola B1's, Buckley06 Gear knob, Handbrake & Indicator badges, Backbox delete, CDV delete, cupra r splitter, RAM air filter, Bigger Brakes, M3 ARB, SMF.

terryo

Post by terryo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:08 am

i have found out the 294mm rear discs off the E46 are not the same as the 294mm ones listed for the Z4 (real OEM part numbers). the caliper and carrier are same part number, but discs are not. can anyone explain this??

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:24 pm

terryo wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:08 am i have found out the 294mm rear discs off the E46 are not the same as the 294mm ones listed for the Z4 (real OEM part numbers). the caliper and carrier are same part number, but discs are not. can anyone explain this??
i think this has been covered, i think the part numbers are differant but its only the numbers are different, the disks are the same
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

terryo

Post by terryo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:27 pm

thanks Road Warrior, but my experiences in car parts tells me OE manufacturers dont change part numbers for no reason. a number change signifies a difference, usually engineering based, rather than trivial like a paint or finish alternation. i'm still searching for some sort of explanation. if you can refer me to something Road Warrior, I'd appreciate that.

the other post above re rear brakes may have identified the same problem, but its not 100% clear. Just looking thru brake catalogues i can see that the offset or height of the E46 rear disc is 75mm and this will impact on the placement of both the handbrake shoes and main friction surface.

UpDate..... i have confirmed the E46 294mm rear discs definitely will not fit. the height is different. The 294mm E85 Z4 rear disc is unique to that 3l car and not shared with any other BMW. So, the post that started off this thread, is wrong in this regard

CHIMV8

Post by CHIMV8 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:18 pm

Great top[c with all the info required to sort yourself,appreciated
Sterling Grey 3.0

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm

All we need now is someone to start selling good quality carbon fibre replacement discs at affordable prices... one of my favourite mods on my old 3.0
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm All we need now is someone to start selling good quality carbon fibre replacement discs at affordable prices... one of my favourite mods on my old 3.0
No way, they'd cost thousands! I think they are produced in limited numbers for the E46 M3 (so might fit our cars), but can only be used in combination with a pricey BBK.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

CHIMV8

Post by CHIMV8 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Going to source the materials and give this a go,i upgraded my TVR front brakes to Ford Cosworth as they were a straight swop.

The change in breaking was amazing and stopped on a sixpence
Sterling Grey 3.0

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:54 pm

CHIMV8 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm Going to source the materials and give this a go,i upgraded my TVR front brakes to Ford Cosworth as they were a straight swop.

The only caution I’d make is when it’s cold & wet, you may find the front may initiate the ABS on hard breaking way before the rear... though for everything else deffo worth it even with standard discs & pads
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Jembo wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:54 pm CHIMV8 wrote: ↑Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm
Going to source the materials and give this a go,i upgraded my TVR front brakes to Ford Cosworth as they were a straight swop.

The only caution I’d make is when it’s cold & wet, you may find the front may initiate the ABS on hard breaking way before the rear... though for everything else deffo worth it even with standard discs & pads
Not sure what you mean by that? The ABS system should automatically bias between front & rear. You keep giving the (pedal) inputs and the car will sort itself out.

I've not had any problems, even with large brakes on a wet track.