Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Picked up a little gift

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Picked up a little gift

Post by RickRob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 pm Yup that will probably be repairable. Easy enough to repair it your self with a kit from flea bay. Takes about twenty minutes, including reading the instructions. :wink:

This is the kit I have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tubeless-Tyre ... 41b2d43a25

Obviously you need a Compressor to re-inflate the tyre. :)

Unless it's a run flat, in which case your Screwed. :exitright:
How does that work?

I had assumed that professional puncture repairs were done from the inside with a mushroom-shaped piece of rubber, so that the pressure forced a good seal. Surely anything that gets inserted from the outside could pop out?
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Picked up a little gift

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Dam :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Picked up a little gift

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

RickRob wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm
buzyg wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 pm Yup that will probably be repairable. Easy enough to repair it your self with a kit from flea bay. Takes about twenty minutes, including reading the instructions. :wink:

This is the kit I have.

How does that work?

I had assumed that professional puncture repairs were done from the inside with a mushroom-shaped piece of rubber, so that the pressure forced a good seal. Surely anything that gets inserted from the outside could pop out?
I've used those before (rats tails) never had a problem-it's pushed through the hole "doubled up" by the pick up tool.
The rats tails are rubber & coated in glue, excess length is trimmed off & they don't come out again :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Picked up a little gift

Post by RickRob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

This is the kit I have.

How does that work?

I've used those before (rats tails) never had a problem-it's pushed through the hole "doubled up" by the pick up tool.
The rats tails are rubber & coated in glue, excess length is trimmed off & they don't come out again :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks Rob - that's my something learned for today!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

eff1guy

Picked up a little gift

Post by eff1guy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Get yourself a tire plugger kit off ebay. Uses the mushroom shaped rubber bung that is pushed in from the outside using the tool provided https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dfk0MXUuiM
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Picked up a little gift

Post by buzyg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm

This is the kit I have.

How does that work?

Rob
What Rob Said. :thumbsup:

I have only used the kit once. Worked well and I kept the tyre in normal used for around four months after, before purchasing a new pair.

ric19

Picked up a little gift

Post by ric19 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 pm

If you read the advice from Bridgestone, RFT's are repairable as long as the tyre isn't driven whilst flat and meets the normal repair criteria. .I've had a rear repaired and had no issues at all.The only issue really is trying to convice the tyre repairer that you didn't drive it flat, so I just showed him the pump I keep in the boot and he accepted that

AndyW60

Picked up a little gift

Post by AndyW60 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks Ric will give that a try - only problem is now I've removed the bolt the tyre has deflated - my nearest tyre place isn't far though (about a mile) so hopefully they will do it. I do have a compressor but the hole is such that the tyre deflates immediately.
65 28i m sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Picked up a little gift

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

AndyW60 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:54 pm Thanks Ric will give that a try - only problem is now I've removed the bolt the tyre has deflated - my nearest tyre place isn't far though (about a mile) so hopefully they will do it. I do have a compressor but the hole is such that the tyre deflates immediately.
I think if you drive there on a flat tyre it could ruin it & they will refuse to repair :(
Have you another vehicle to take the wheel for repair?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

AndyW60

Picked up a little gift

Post by AndyW60 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

I do Rob - think I might just bite the bullet and put a new one on though for piece of mind if nothing else - got two long motorway journeys in next few weeks. Hey ho!

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Andy
65 28i m sport

Busterboo

Picked up a little gift

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 am

buzyg wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm ...
I have only used the kit once. Worked well and I kept the tyre in normal used for around four months after, before purchasing a new pair.
So, you have a puncture and, for whatever reason, you have to replace the tyre.

When do you decide to replace the other tyre on the same axle?

(Assuming they're both in good general condition) if they've both had 6mm wear? 5mm? 4 ...

Or would you replace only the punctured one anyway?

Or always both?
Vidi, vici, veni

AndyW60

Picked up a little gift

Post by AndyW60 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:45 am

Result..! Took wheel to local tyre chap and he said too good to replace and he could easily and safely fix it - £10 :thumbsup:

Called me a 'plank' for taking the offending bolt out though - said much easier for him if left in - lesson learned.

Thanks again for all helpful comments :thumbsup:
65 28i m sport

obewan

Picked up a little gift

Post by obewan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 pm

ric19 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 pm If you read the advice from Bridgestone, RFT's are repairable as long as the tyre isn't driven whilst flat and meets the normal repair criteria. .I've had a rear repaired and had no issues at all.The only issue really is trying to convice the tyre repairer that you didn't drive it flat, so I just showed him the pump I keep in the boot and he accepted that
My friendly local tyre fitter advised they know if run excessively as there will be small 'balls of rubber' running around inside the wheel when they take it off
As he helpfully pointed out on my wifes car recently :(
(Not run flat but under pressure)

I guess the problem is you need to take the tyre of the rim to prove it
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Picked up a little gift

Post by buzyg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Busterboo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 am
buzyg wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm ...
So, you have a puncture and, for whatever reason, you have to replace the tyre.

When do you decide to replace the other tyre on the same axle?

(Assuming they're both in good general condition) if they've both had 6mm wear? 5mm? 4 ...

Or would you replace only the punctured one anyway?

Or always both?
I would always try to match the tyre wear across the tyres. Last rear puncture I had was not repairable, so I replaced both, took the other tyre off and have it in the garage. Next time I get a none repairable puncture, I can hopefully pop it back on, rather than replacing both again. But that will depend on the wear.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Picked up a little gift

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 pm

AndyW60 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:45 amResult..! Took wheel to local tyre chap and he said too good to replace and he could easily and safely fix it - £10

Called me a 'plank' for taking the offending bolt out though - said much easier for him if left in - lesson learned.

Thanks again for all helpful comments
Great news OP. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black