Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

**New Boots**

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
DraizetraiN

**New Boots**

Post by DraizetraiN » Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 am

Well I'm approaching a year having my beautifully savage Z4....and felt the urge to spend some more money on it.

My thought has always been that tyres are such a boring purchase for cars. You know, just like re-upholstering your favourite shoes. Those thin bits of black rubber ain't going to make that much difference surely. They simply can't do. I mean how much can rubber vary eh?

Anyway, after reading this forum over the last 12 months, and the numerous threads referring to tyres etc, I decided to look into the subject. The weight of opinion seemed to suggest there was something in it. So taking on board what I read on here plus reviews elsewhere etc I figured if you're going to do it, do it properly, and purchased a full set of Michelin Sport Pilot 4's to replace my stock Bridgestone run-flats.

F*** my old boots, what a transformation. Its like a completely different car. My main hope was a drop in road noise at high speed due to having a top spec hifi, and its delivered, no question. For arguments sake lets say the `old' set up, highest being bad, was 9/10. With the new rubber its 7/10.
The biggest overall change though is for general ride quality. I wouldn't have believed the difference from old to new had I not experienced it myself. The new tyres just seem to soak up the bumps so well whilst gripping like a bastard. Hard to explain but I'm sure you tyre boys know exactly what I mean. Expensive at a grand for all four fitted but I'm over the moon with my purchase and consider it cash well spent.

For all you guys thinking about it but still firmly on the fence, have another real good look at it. If you buy quality we're not talking a minimal difference here :wink:

And how about this....some of you'll laugh at me but I don't mind. As I say I've had the car almost a year....but last week was the first time I'd actually tried the `sport' mode. Are you having a f****** laugh?! POWER TO BURN :evil:

Busterboo

**New Boots**

Post by Busterboo » Sat May 06, 2017 10:23 am

If those on RFTs had the chance to try non-RFTs on their car, they'd be online for a new set of Michelins or whatevers and down Halfrauds for some Tyreweld in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

There really is little comparison between them in all the parameters of performance. The non-RFTS are so much better.

And it's not even as if the RFTs are much good at having punctures. :roll:
Vidi, vici, veni

buzyg
Legend
Legend

**New Boots**

Post by buzyg » Sat May 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Well it's taken a year. But finaly you can enjoy driving your Zed properly. :driving: Just remember to put the roof down too :wink: .