Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e89 rear shock swap questions

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
JohnG7

Post by JohnG7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello guys and gals,
I have gathered my parts so that I can change out my rear shocks/mounts and my front struts/mounts.

My choice was the Bilstein B6 for both ends, am using new BMW OEM USM on rear, bought a set of Monroe USM for the front. Turner MS had a wrong listing for their USM, of course I bought a pair before realizing they wouldn't work.
EDIT-> I am calling the shock mounts wrongly, saying USM for upper shock mount, some catalogs call them rear shock mounts <RSM> and the fronts Front Strut Mounts <FSM>, being dyslexic makes it fun :rofl: and then some BMWs have lower shock mounts...

I drive a 2010 S30i with the non-adaptive non-sport suspension, 30k miles. Had planned to go with a Bilstein B12 pro kit, but there is so much road construction and roughness I'ma going this route. I torture my front bump stops at times, if these shocks don't help I'll be surprised.

This leads to my questions, starting with who here has actually swapped their rears? What all work is required in the boot just to get to the USM bolts? Does any of the roof framework have to be moved? If so, adjustments easy? Lastly, my OEM upper shock mounts (USM) did not come with the gasket (seal or paper??), is this best replaced?

The actual wrench time underneath the zed will be short and easy (outside of front spring compressing), but I really want to figure this out and do my own work (once I know my plan). Shops around here quote $700-1000 for doing the work (using my parts) including alignment. I'd rather spend that toward a set of rims and goflats, after I do this work myself.

There's a plethora of youtube videos, but I can't find diddley on the rears of our E89. Can anyone throw me any info? Thanks much...
Oh, I am no good with electronic manuals, they do not like me. :x If anyone has a link to any good data, please list it. Finding this info has not been a success and I have tried all I know- hence, questions :oops:

Or, who else looked into this and decided to let a indie do the work? The tires CAN wait.
Last edited by JohnG7 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnG7

Post by JohnG7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Oh yeah, a little more info.
I gathered all the parts and tools. I started popping the rivets (in the boot) as I was looking at what I was about to get myself into. Something told me check ALL parts one more time. When I looked at my Turner USM for the rear, I noticed the new ones had 3 mounting bolts (as e90, e91, e92, etc) but looking at my car, those have 2 mounting bolts.

So, I ordered the factory mounts (USM), they arrived (minus flat gasket), will pick these parts up asap. Since this vehicle is low miles and I am reusing springs, I plan to reuse spring hardware not supplied by Bilstein. If higher mileage, I'd replace more (unless you convince me otherwise). Bilstein includes much new rubber and hardware.

Should I attack the rear with what I do not know? Am doing struts tomorrow, by God!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Don't know what USM are but fitted Bilstein B6 to my 23i, all pretty straightforward.
Just needed cheap spring compressors for the front.
I think I had to leave out the rear bump stops.

JohnG7

Post by JohnG7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

USM is upper shock mount (or upper strut mount) in my terminology, sorry if I'm using it wrong.

So, you had no problem with the rears? I started popping the rivets to release the liner, then removed the casing at rear. Then I found my mounts were wrong. Were you able to just peel back the liner? or did you have to unbolt and move any of the top/lid framework?

This already gives me confidence :D it is possible by us mortals...

Edit to add --> RealOEM description is "guide support" front and rear for the parts I described as USM (upper shock mount).

Thanks all.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm

From memory the tops were exposed once the trim was removed.
Thinking back I may have raised the boot as if to stow roof.
I think the top of the shocker has a Allen hex hole for a key and a nut. The mount stayed in place.
Once the car was jacked up I place another jack under the swing arm so I could move it up and down and align the mount bolt. Very little movement when the shock was removed. The existing slide protector was used but the upper bounce stop wouldn't fit so was left off.

Worth while change as I found the OEM I took off at 50k mileage just seemed cheap and made strange squelching sounds when compressed. I found the traction light didn't come on so often on the Bilsteins if hardly ever.
A good cheapish mod as the rears were about £85 and fronts about £130 pair, spring compressor about £10.

JohnG7

Post by JohnG7 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks much, I feel better already! The rear mounts may not need changed, but I decided while I'm in there, do it once.
My local auto parts houses sell me a spring compressor but refund the cost on return- hard to beat this offer!

The new rear mounts actually look well constructed, so am sure I could reuse mine, but I got'em already.

My concern is getting something started I cannot complete by myself, if yours didn't require moving the critical framework, mine shouldn't either. Thanks for the tips on the bumps too, I am hoping my results mirror yours.