Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Auto on a BMW Z4

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
pupeno

Android Auto on a BMW Z4

Post by pupeno » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:57 pm

I recently got a 2010 Z4 with the built-in sat nav and all the other things the computer does. After using it for a while, I'm not very happy with the sat nav. I knew it was not going to be as good as Google Maps or Waze but I found it way more annoying and hard to use than I expected. So I started to look for alternatives, mounting my phone on the dash or something like that. That's when I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwCqfydSDT4

and my jaw dropped. It looks like it retained the idrive unit but it works as Android Auto too (and it's also touch screen). What is this sorcery? I want this sorcery. Does anybody know anything about it?

PS: yes, I haven't published pics of my new car yet. I'm waiting to take good ones (I've been more focused on driving than taking pics).

jleckenby

Android Auto on a BMW Z4

Post by jleckenby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Ooh, that looks interesting! Wonder if they hijacked the tv input or something...
Z4 35is, 438bhp
Cobb Stage 2 (Aggressive), VRSF Catless Downpipes, BMS DCI, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Eibach Springs

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Android Auto on a BMW Z4

Post by markplant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:06 pm

jleckenby wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 pm Ooh, that looks interesting! Wonder if they hijacked the tv input or something...
I wondered that, but then it's become a touch screen so must be different
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

pupeno

Android Auto on a BMW Z4

Post by pupeno » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:45 pm

On another YouTube video someone pointed to https://www.crutchfield.com as a potential source of after market units.