Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any thoughts?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
R.E92

Any thoughts?

Post by R.E92 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 pm

benv6 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am
Smartbear wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:46 am
Busterboo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

The 7-speed DCT box is no compromise. It's much better than manual.

Lots of enthusiasts think of gear changing as part of the fun of driving a sporty car, even if dct can change gears faster than a human can, it's still taking something away from the experience for them.
Each to his own :driving:
Rob
I wanted a manual when I was in the market, I never tried the DCT. Now that I have tried the DCT in a 28i I soooo wish I went for an auto. So I certainly think that going for the DCT would be on the plus side :)
I know it sounds pedantic but the 28i has the slushbox not a DCT, the DCT was 35i and 35is only. If you liked the slushbox then the DCT will blow your mind, it's in a different league.

You made the right choice with manual though. My DCT car shifts fast and makes great noises in the process due to how a DCT retards ignition timing during a shift but at the end of the day I get way more pleasure from driving manual cars.
I have a manual 320d to use for long journeys and snotter duties and even though it's a stinky derv I enjoy shifting. :driving:

Busterboo

Any thoughts?

Post by Busterboo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:35 am

Sportbilly wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 am Thanks for all of the replies. I guess l keep looking l do fancy the 35is but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth in silver. I'd have no choice with the auto box but comprises have to be made sometimes.....

Lots of enthusiasts think of gear changing as part of the fun of driving a sporty car, even if dct can change gears faster than a human can, it's still taking something away from the experience for them.
Rob
In my experience, quite a lot of manual drivers have opinions about the DCT, having never used it at all or for only a short test drive. As a result, DCT is misunderstood, when it is, in fact, far, far from just 'automatic'. Indeed, it's actually manual in some ways, certainly complex to use properly and unavoidably takes time to learn.

As a result, DCT, used well, can make manual seem primitive, both in form and function.

As for manual versus DCT, however ... well, happily, it's just a matter of free choice, isn't it?
Vidi, vici, veni

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Any thoughts?

Post by john-e89 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am

benv6 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 am

Rob
I wanted a manual when I was in the market, I never tried the DCT. Now that I have tried the DCT in a 28i I soooo wish I went for an auto. So I certainly think that going for the DCT would be on the plus side :)
We need to swap Ben, I wish I'd gone 35i manual.... :roll:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

extaz

Any thoughts?

Post by extaz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:00 am

I think the sheer newness of the car, assuming it has always been garaged would be very attractive. A new E89 for much less than half price. I have a 35 but I could live with out that much power which is fun but mostly frustrates me. The DCT is best if you drive much in busy traffic.
Try to drive it for a while. I have often test driven fantasy cars and was not always smitten. You will know.

freemadw

Any thoughts?

Post by freemadw » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:49 am

That is a pricey car, due for a service in September. Admittedly it is in Belfast, so might be too far to travel, but there's a 2013 Valencia Orange 35i Manual with 23k for the same price:

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/Z/3.0i-sDrive ... =se_na_re_

Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

freemadw

Any thoughts?

Post by freemadw » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:58 am

p.s. The 3.0i has the 6 speed auto box. I had a 23i with the auto, very good, sport mode did make a big difference (which it doesn't on a manual), nice to drive in traffic and could always be overridden using the shift paddles - but for me a manual was more involving to drive. I can't comment on the DCT, my impression is that most people love them and prefer them to a manual.
Cheers, Dave
If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining...

Sportbilly

Any thoughts?

Post by Sportbilly » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts/input. The search continues.....
E85 3.0i SE