Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Why are the E89 Seats so bland?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Highlander

Post by Highlander » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 pm

You're in a minority here, lack of heated seats puts most people off buying a car-it's a luxury in winter top down driving :driving:
Rob[/quote]

Not so much a luxury up here in Scotland...More a desirable necessity...... Wouldn't have bought without the seat heaters and I'm sure it'll make the car easier to sell when that time comes.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Heated seats are a must-have for me too. Even on my daily banger car!

E89 seats are a bit bland compared with the Audi ones pictured. But then the Audi is targeting crass blingy Audi buyers :P

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:You know you're getting old when you think heated seats are a good idea :rofl:

Electric blankets on the bed aren't far behind. Eeeww!
You're in a minority here, lack of heated seats puts most people off buying a car-it's a luxury in winter top down driving :driving:
Rob
I've always been in the minority Rob. The majority have always scared me, hehe, I say it as I feel it, as do most on the forum which is why I like it here. We are a minority, that makes me feel more a part of something cool :) Group hug :oops:

Heated seats scare me, nothing worse than a sweaty arse at the best of times, let alone when driving :rofl:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:You know you're getting old when you think heated seats are a good idea :rofl:

Rob
I've always been in the minority Rob. The majority have always scared me, hehe, I say it as I feel it, as do most on the forum which is why I like it here. We are a minority, that makes me feel more a part of something cool :) Group hug :oops:

Heated seats scare me, nothing worse than a sweaty arse at the best of times, let alone when driving :rofl:
To be honest I didnt like the idea of heated seats and thought they were a bit of a gimmick but after having them they are really good and would look for them in any car with leather seats.
If the inside of the car is cold the seats will heat you up faster than the blowers will and once the chill is off the car they can be switched off, no sweaty arse.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Heated seats scare me, nothing worse than a sweaty arse at the best of times, let alone when driving :rofl:[/quote]
To be honest I didnt like the idea of heated seats and thought they were a bit of a gimmick but after having them they are really good and would look for them in any car with leather seats.
If the inside of the car is cold the seats will heat you up faster than the blowers will and once the chill is off the car they can be switched off, no sweaty arse.[/quote]

Cool, or should I say warm :wink: I like the old skool ( or should I say 'Never went to skool') approach. Getting in the jamjar mid-winter, seats are bloody freezing but only for a minute or so, hand sticks to the metal gear knob, start the engine, within a couple of mins the seats come up to arse temp, nose is dripping, fingers are blue and I feel alive in a sports car. 5 mins later the blowers are settling in and the car starts to warm up. Fond memories of last winter in the Z. I'm not big on 'luxury' in a sports car. The more luxury the less sports car. BMW have a demographic, heated seats and other options to keep everyone happy. They carried over a nice retro feel from the z3,.They done a nice job on the 2003 z4 original. From there on in they started to 'modernize' later models and loose the retro details and classic feel. I understand not everyone wants a 'retro, classic feel sports car. Some want a modern sports car with modern luxuries. Live and let live.
Disclaimer; This is my 'not so humble opinion'. Hehe.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Smartbear wrote:

Rob
Must be ancient. Don't think heated seats are a good idea or a luxury they are an esential bit of kit. :thumbsup:

I am fine with my seats
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:19 am

Nanu wrote:
Smartbear wrote:

Rob
Must be ancient. Don't think heated seats are a good idea or a luxury they are an esential bit of kit. :thumbsup:

I am fine with my seats
You're in the majority, so I've been informed...Cozy, safe and warm :thumbsup: I wonder if this motor has heated seats? If not I guess they could be retro fitted to give it that luxury edge...
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 09.18.27.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 09.18.27.png (403.68 KiB) Viewed 704 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:38 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Nanu wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Rob

I am fine with my seats
You're in the majority, so I've been informed...Cozy, safe and warm :thumbsup: I wonder if this motor has heated seats? If not I guess they could be retro fitted to give it that luxury edge...

I guess that cars not got ABS or electronic stability control, powered soft top & a multi speaker sound system either but you seem happy to have all that complication in your car?
You can't have it both ways! :poke:
Rob
Y

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Nanu wrote:

I am fine with my seats

I guess that cars not got ABS or electronic stability control, powered soft top & a multi speaker sound system either but you seem happy to have all that complication in your car?
Rob
Y
Certainly don't want it both ways. But It doesn't make sense to start ripping the car apart and throwing roof motors etc away. I bought the car second hand, had to settle with what I could find spec wise. I got it as basic as I could find and I believe as they made it, no cup holders, the weight slows the car down, hehe. Had they made it less spekky I would've gone for that. I did look for manual windows. No surprise they didn't make them. Lotus did tho'. I always have the stability control turned off, when its on it ruins the slide on the ride. They shouldn't have bothered with it, takes the rrrrrr out of roadster. There's not a lot to it. No buttons on the steering wheel, basic seats, no heat, no electronic adjustments with the added weight. Stereo is standard, I certainly wouldn't call it a luxury item. Airbags, I guess that's the only hidden modern touch that I feel comfortable having on board. Classic roadster interiors are more my thing. Basic, only what's needed to drive the car. Here's the kind of thing I think BMW were looking back at when they designed the first Z4.
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.20.48.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.20.48.png (982.41 KiB) Viewed 679 times
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.23.55.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.23.55.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 679 times
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.16.36.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.16.36.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 679 times
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.30.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.30.01.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 679 times

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:41 pm

DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
DMC63 wrote:

Rob
Y
Certainly don't want it both ways. But It doesn't make sense to start ripping the car apart and throwing roof motors etc away. I bought the car second hand, had to settle with what I could find spec wise. I got it as basic as I could find and I believe as they made it, no cup holders, the weight slows the car down, hehe. Had they made it less spekky I would've gone for that. I did look for manual windows. No surprise they didn't make them. Lotus did tho'. I always have the stability control turned off, when its on it ruins the slide on the ride. They shouldn't have bothered with it, takes the rrrrrr out of roadster. There's not a lot to it. No buttons on the steering wheel, basic seats, no heat, no electronic adjustments with the added weight. Stereo is standard, I certainly wouldn't call it a luxury item. Airbags, I guess that's the only hidden modern touch that I feel comfortable having on board. Classic roadster interiors are more my thing. Basic, only what's needed to drive the car. Here's the kind of thing I think BMW were looking back at when they designed the first Z4.
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.20.48.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.23.55.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.16.36.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.30.01.png
Looking at those pics I think you have bought the wrong car :lol:
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Looking at those pics I think you have bought the wrong car :lol:[/quote]

:rofl:

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

DMC63 wrote:Looking at those pics I think you have bought the wrong car :lol:
:rofl:[/quote]

Basic
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG (53.09 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Nictrix wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
Smartbear wrote:
Rob
Y
Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.20.48.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.23.55.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.16.36.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-21 at 14.30.01.png
You should be careful what you wish for, When Lotus did away with manual window winders in the elise (with howls of anguish from traditionalists) It was discovered that the fancy modern electric versions were actually lighter...........
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DMC63

Post by DMC63 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Smartbear wrote:
Nictrix wrote:
DMC63 wrote:
You should be careful what you wish for, When Lotus did away with manual window winders in the elise (with howls of anguish from traditionalists) It was discovered that the fancy modern electric versions were actually lighter...........
Rob
Makes sense, it's not the weight issue, I like the retro styling. Tbh, my Z ticks all the boxes for me, retro styling with a modern edge. They catered for both camps, the minimalists and those who like a bit more comfort. There's bits and pieces I like from all the models.