Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35is, Tuning Update

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
crustyclown777

35is, Tuning Update

Post by crustyclown777 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 pm

jleckenby wrote:Noticaeable improvement is an understaitment! Much much better, not loud when you dont want it, but much much louder and throaty under acceleration. Lots of pops and turbo noise to boot.

On E89s they are apparently quite restrictive, so going catless and up to 3" diameter has made for much better breathing and a higher remap.
I think you've sold it to me! Could you PM me the website your bought yours from?
:thumbsup:
Z4MC Interlagos Blue
Instagram: z4mcuk

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Sent!
Z4 35is, 438bhp
Cobb Stage 2 (Aggressive), VRSF Catless Downpipes, BMS DCI, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Eibach Springs

Rockford

35is, Tuning Update

Post by Rockford » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Very excited to read you've had a VRSF downpipe fitted! I've been talking to VRSF directly, Evolve and ML Performance and none can guarantee it will fit without testing.....so, forgive the questions but:

Did it fit without issue?
Is the cold start noise as antisocial as I've read?
Have you had an emissions test with just the secondary cats in?
What's it like?

I've been hunting for downpipes for months and AR design definitely fit but at $1200 + duty they are simply too expensive.
2019 BMW M40i First Edition Frozen Orange
2014 BMW M4 DCT Yas Marina Blue

Previous Zeds:
2010 BMW Z4 35i DCT (Evolve: 360BHP)
2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i manual

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

35is, Tuning Update

Post by tomscott » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Which downpipes did you add? just seen that the Supersprint Racing Downpipes are $2000!! Roughly £1600!

Not keen on the look of the air filters tbh but good on you for doing something different :thumbsup:

Edit just read they are VRSF downpipes what are the UK costs like on them?

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Rockford wrote:Very excited to read you've had a VRSF downpipe fitted! I've been talking to VRSF directly, Evolve and ML Performance and none can guarantee it will fit without testing.....so, forgive the questions but:

What's it like?

I've been hunting for downpipes for months and AR design definitely fit but at $1200 + duty they are simply too expensive.
I actually got it from ML performance :)

- Ish! It's very very very tight, but fits
- It's pretty loud yeah, but doesn't sound yobboish. It's pretty quick to go quiet(ish) to.
- Not tested, I just assumed it wouldn't pass
- One word, epic! Sound is incredible. I did it more for a higher remap though as the original pipes are quite restrictive.
Z4 35is, 438bhp
Cobb Stage 2 (Aggressive), VRSF Catless Downpipes, BMS DCI, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, Eibach Springs

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:22 pm

tomscott wrote:Which downpipes did you add? just seen that the Supersprint Racing Downpipes are $2000!! Roughly £1600!

Not keen on the look of the air filters tbh but good on you for doing something different :thumbsup:

Edit just read they are VRSF downpipes what are the UK costs like on them?
I know what you mean about the air filters, I don't mind them but I wouldn't say I love them. More of a breathing mod recommended by Cobb.

I think I paid just under £500 for the pipes and the 02 sensor fix from ML performance.

Thanks
James
Z4 35is, 438bhp

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

35is, Tuning Update

Post by tomscott » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to catless exhaust systems.

Are they technically illegal and will the car pass an emissions test?

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Grey area really, I think if it passes emissions still it's fine. Whether it does actually pass or not though I don't know, I still have the originals if needed.
Z4 35is, 438bhp

Wrs

35is, Tuning Update

Post by Wrs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 am

jleckenby wrote:
Rockford wrote:Very excited to read you've had a VRSF downpipe fitted! I've been talking to VRSF directly, Evolve and ML Performance and none can guarantee it will fit without testing.....so, forgive the questions but:

What's it like?

I actually got it from ML performance :)

- Ish! It's very very very tight, but fits
- It's pretty loud yeah, but doesn't sound yobboish. It's pretty quick to go quiet(ish) to.
- Not tested, I just assumed it wouldn't pass
- One word, epic! Sound is incredible. I did it more for a higher remap though as the original pipes are quite restrictive.
Any chance of a video please? Really tempted :D
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Hmm, I did one but the audio quality makes it sound rougher than it really is. Will upload later on though.
Z4 35is, 438bhp

Wrs

35is, Tuning Update

Post by Wrs » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Star :) . I'm after more pops & bangs. Rebellion automotive are quoting me for a custom map but downpipes may be the way to go instead.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Wrs wrote:Star :) . I'm after more pops & bangs. Rebellion automotive are quoting me for a custom map but downpipes may be the way to go instead.
Oh it does lots of those! Probably worth doing both to get the most out of them
Z4 35is, 438bhp

jan_tekin

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jan_tekin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 pm

tomscott wrote:I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to catless exhaust systems.

Are they technically illegal and will the car pass an emissions test?

If its catless it will fail the MOT surely. Are 200 cell sports cats not available for the 35is?
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

jleckenby

35is, Tuning Update

Post by jleckenby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 am

MOT testers arent allows to move undertrays etc so no way to prove it, other than emissions failing (which theres a chance it wont). Not a big issue though, I can refit the originals if I need to.
Z4 35is, 438bhp

Jasper ham

35is, Tuning Update

Post by Jasper ham » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 am

I'm really interested in having the catless downpipes, not sure why people think it would not pass an MOT. I have just sold my SLK55 AMG to buy the 35i, and the best mod for the 55 is the 2nd cat delete and fit a X pipe in its place. The sound from the V8 was amazing, and no drone. I had this MOT'd in December and it flew through with no advisories .... I am no mechanic but deleting either set of the cats should give the same result ... what did Mad4Mini charge you for fitting the catless downpipes? Is it an easy job?
BMW Z4 e89 35i white, black roof, 296 wheels emap to 390 BHP and running Vredestein Ultras. Second cat delete and straight through pipes.